When to embark

Old May 7th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Lunyma

Default When to embark

That brings an interesting tidbit to mind. After being exhausted from
waking up at 4:30am and traveling half of the day, how many people
actually want to buy the picture of them getting on a ship after an
exhausting travel?

I don't think I've ever bought an embarkation photo. Even if I flew in the day
before, I still look like a tourist from hell when I board the ship...

Old May 7th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Howie

Crescent wrote:

That brings an interesting tidbit to mind. After being exhausted from
waking up at 4:30am and traveling half of the day, how many people
actually want to buy the picture of them getting on a ship after an
exhausting travel?

I wish they wouldn't even take the frigging picture. It just slows
things down. Which raises another question. Anyone ever been on a
cruise where there was not embarkation photo? Can't remember what
happened on Seabourn. How about the other "six star" lines?

Howie

On 04 May 2004 01:53:13 GMT, ando (RTCReferee)
wrote:

BJ
wrote:

What's the feeling of the group - is it best to be there at noon when
boarding starts, or wait awhile? I have all my documentation done so
I won't be held up by that. I'd be interested to see if there is a
consensus one way or the other :-)

I can speak only for two, and we don't like standing or sitting around and
waiting for anything, so we have never gone early, have never waited to board
the early tender, have never been first in line to get off the ship.
Therefore, we have no photos of us taken at the gangway at ports of call when
the ship's photographers take those pictures. We don't feel we have missed
anything by taking a more relaxed approach to boarding, etc.

Old May 8th, 2004, 01:23 AM
steve

somehow someway i have managed to get on at firedrill time. it made no
difference how soon or late i went to ship. traffic beat us once
computers down was next.

Old May 8th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Mason Barge

On Fri, 07 May 2004 05:40:46 GMT, Veggie wrote:

Mason Barge wrote:

If this were Vancouver, I would strongly suggest you arrive about a
half hour before boarding ends, i.e. very late. It mostly depends on
whether you have something vaguely interesting to do other than get on
the ship.

Is Vancouver / Canada Place known for boarding problems? I would have
thought showing up a bit before noon would have been perfect.

No, Canada Place is good for boarding. It's just 1) that a lot of
people come early and 2) that there are great things to do nearby.
Assuming you can stash your bags, go to the aquarium at Stanley Park
and see, up close, some of the sea life you will see at a distance in
Alaska. And avoid the crowd while you enjoy yourself.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Old May 8th, 2004, 02:55 AM
Mason Barge

On Fri, 07 May 2004 16:37:06 -0400, Howie
wrote:

Crescent wrote:

That brings an interesting tidbit to mind. After being exhausted from
waking up at 4:30am and traveling half of the day, how many people
actually want to buy the picture of them getting on a ship after an
exhausting travel?

I wish they wouldn't even take the frigging picture. It just slows
things down. Which raises another question. Anyone ever been on a
cruise where there was not embarkation photo? Can't remember what
happened on Seabourn. How about the other "six star" lines?

HAL has made the photo completely voluntary, i.e. "step over here if
you want a picture".

Old May 8th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Howie

wrote:

Crescent wrote:

That brings an interesting tidbit to mind. After being exhausted from
waking up at 4:30am and traveling half of the day, how many people
actually want to buy the picture of them getting on a ship after an
exhausting travel?

I wish they wouldn't even take the frigging picture. It just slows
things down. Which raises another question. Anyone ever been on a
cruise where there was not embarkation photo? Can't remember what
happened on Seabourn. How about the other "six star" lines?

HAL has made the photo completely voluntary, i.e. "step over here if
you want a picture".

Hmmm. Don't remember that from our Zuiderdam cruise in January. Then
again, my memory ain't what it used to be.

Howie

Old May 8th, 2004, 07:49 AM
N. Jill Velencia

Going on our second cruise the 15th (Diamond Princess to Alaska) and
plan to spend a day in Seattle before we board

I sailed from Seattle roundtrip to Alaska last May. My friend and I
drove to the port at 1pm and had a very short line to board.

Jill - Seattle

Old May 10th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Veggie

Very true indeed. On my first cruise, I bought these dopey gangway
pictures standing in a plywood cutout. I think I will try to side step
the shakedown point next time.

And as for port pictures, I think I'd be better served getting someone
to snap a picture. All I have to do is to watch out for the scammers
that run off with the camera :O Don't know if this really happens,
but saw it in a movie once.

Crescent wrote:

That brings an interesting tidbit to mind. After being exhausted from
waking up at 4:30am and traveling half of the day, how many people
actually want to buy the picture of them getting on a ship after an
exhausting travel?

On 04 May 2004 01:53:13 GMT, ando (RTCReferee)
wrote:

BJ