Celebrity Introduces "Celebrity Xpeditions"!

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Celebrity Introduces "Celebrity Xpeditions"!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Celebrity and thought it would be
of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Celebrity Cruises Introduces 'Celebrity Xpeditions'; Announces Exotic
Itineraries, Once-In-A-Lifetime Excursions

New Ship Purchased to Take Guests to Galapagos Islands Beginning June
11, 2004

MIAMI, Jan. 14
Celebrity Cruises is taking guests to the farthest corners of the
world, and treating them famously all the way. The launch of Celebrity
Xpeditions, a series of exotic experiences and exceptional excursions,
was announced today by Celebrity Cruises President and COO, Jack
Williams, at a press event in New York.

Subject to closing of a pending acquisition, including regulatory
approvals, the first in the Celebrity Xpeditions program will begin
June 11, 2004, with a series of seven- to 10-night journeys in the
Galapagos Islands, on a ship to be aptly named Celebrity Xpedition.
The 296-foot vessel, which resembles a luxurious private yacht,
accommodates 100 guests, and with 64 crew members, exceeds Celebrity's
fleetwide 2-to-1 guest-to-staff ratio. Celebrity Xpedition will take
guests on a series of seven- to 10-night journeys in the Galapagos.

Additional 'over-the-top' Celebrity Xpeditions in Antarctica, the
Arctic, Alaska, Florida, and elsewhere will be announced later this
year.

"This is a major new program for our brand," said Williams. "Celebrity
Xpeditions are highly unique events and excursions that give savvy
travelers once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to be treated famously in
new environments." "This is a one-of-a-kind program that gives our
guests the premium experiences they have come to expect of Celebrity
-- in entirely new and different venues," Williams added.

After guests snorkel, hike and explore the pristine Galapagos Islands,
they will return to one of the 47 staterooms and suites on Celebrity
Xpedition. They can dine in the outdoor grill or the elegant main
restaurant serving Celebrity's five-star cuisine, enjoy enrichment
lectures, or visit the gym and spa, library, and lounge area featuring
live music. In the Galapagos, guests can mingle with sea lions, chat
with environmental experts and enjoy dinner and dancing under the
stars, all in one day.

On future Celebrity Xpeditions, guests might scale glaciers on an ice-
breaking ship in Antarctica, drive Hummers through the Alaskan
woodlands, sport-fish in British Columbia, and rev up their engines at
a racecar driving school in Florida.

Each Celebrity Xpedition will be offered in addition to current
Celebrity itineraries, or as individual journeys.

"Our goal is to ultimately offer a Celebrity Xpedition on every cruise
itinerary, from our year-round seven-night Caribbean product to our
long, exotic European product," said Williams.

The announcement of Celebrity Xpeditions coincides with the launch of
a new ad campaign introducing Xpeditions to consumers. In a few
months, readers of Condi Nast Traveler, Travel + Leisure, and National
Geographic Traveler will see two-page color ads creatively blending
the new Xpeditions on land with the luxurious experience onboard. For
example, a photo of a jagged rock in the Galapagos meets a photo of
the smooth back of a woman getting a massage. The tagline reads,
"Where the unspoiled meets the spoiled."

The campaign, created by Arnold Worldwide, a Boston-based advertising
agency, also will introduce a TV billboard to air with the line's TV
ad campaign, and a radio spot that will air in nine major markets this
quarter.

Celebrity Cruises is the industry's highest rated premium cruise brand
with a taste of luxury. The cruise line has nine ships in its fleet,
which is the youngest of any major line. Celebrity sails in Alaska,
Bermuda, California, the Caribbean, Europe, Hawaii, the Mexican
Riviera, the Panama Canal and South America. For more information,
call your travel agent.

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Benjamin Smith

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
[...]

Subject to closing of a pending acquisition, including regulatory
approvals, the first in the Celebrity Xpeditions program will begin
June 11, 2004, with a series of seven- to 10-night journeys in the
Galapagos Islands, on a ship to be aptly named Celebrity Xpedition.
The 296-foot vessel, which resembles a luxurious private yacht,
accommodates 100 guests, and with 64 crew members, exceeds Celebrity's
fleetwide 2-to-1 guest-to-staff ratio. Celebrity Xpedition will take
guests on a series of seven- to 10-night journeys in the Galapagos.

Additional 'over-the-top' Celebrity Xpeditions in Antarctica, the
Arctic, Alaska, Florida, and elsewhere will be announced later this
year.

Am I reading this right? Celebrity has purchased a small ship and is
going to part of the fleet? A curve ball if I'm reading it right.

There's two Celebrity's now? The small ship and the mainstream ships?
How will these cruises be priced? This is interesting, but strange,
seems like what Cunard tried to do, but failed, in the 80s/90s.

Ben S.

Old January 14th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Lloyd Parsons

In article , Benjamin Smith
wrote:

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
[...]

Subject to closing of a pending acquisition, including regulatory
[...]

I sure hope they are priced similarly to current Celebrity pricing as
this looks very interesting and certainly different for a mainstream
cruiseline.

Lloyd
Old January 14th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Benjamin Smith

Lloyd Parsons wrote:
In article , Benjamin Smith
wrote:

Ray Goldenberg wrote:

[...]

Subject to closing of a pending acquisition, including regulatory
[...]

I hope it is *not* priced similarly, but priced competitively.
Celebrity's standards have slipped badly. Their food is not rating well
compared to Carnival, HAL, and isn't competitive with upscale lines
anymore. Their ambiance isn't what it should be. I don't want to get
into mainstream vs. something else but this vessel and approach sounds
like something Celebrity should charge for and the itineraries sound
like they are for seasoned or discerning travelers looking for something
more distinguished than what they'll get on the rest of the Celebrity fleet.

Ben S.

Lloyd

Old January 14th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:45:20 GMT, Benjamin Smith
wrote:

Am I reading this right? Celebrity has purchased a small ship and is
going to part of the fleet? A curve ball if I'm reading it right.

Hi Ben,

Many of us have been expecting this announcement since last October
when RCL purchased the expedition vessel Sun Bay 1. This ship along
with the Sun Bay II had been repossessed by a German bank. Heck,
Celebrity had the news conference in NYC today, why didn't you go over
and ask questions for us? ;+)

Old January 15th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Benjamin Smith

wrote:

Am I reading this right? Celebrity has purchased a small ship and is
going to part of the fleet? A curve ball if I'm reading it right.

Hi Ben,

Many of us have been expecting this announcement since last October
when RCL purchased the expedition vessel Sun Bay 1. This ship along
with the Sun Bay II had been repossessed by a German bank. Heck,
Celebrity had the news conference in NYC today, why didn't you go over
and ask questions for us? ;+)

Had I known I would have jumped out of the window of my Hoboken office
building (on the 9th floor), swam across the Hudson (in 12 degree
weather--and I don't know how to swim!), and ran to where they were
holding the conference in Manhattan

Anyway, sounds like Sea Goddess again to me. Do you think it'll fly? (or
sail for awhile

Ben S.

Old January 15th, 2004, 01:14 AM
E.k.R.

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message Anyway, sounds
like Sea Goddess again to me. Do you think it'll fly? (or
sail for awhile

Ben S.

I don't think it's like Sea Goddess at all. This is being marketed as an
expedition ship using Celebrity's current standards. I don't think it is
being marketed as ultra-luxury.

Personally I think it gives Celebrity another interesting and unique
cruising opportunity without having to stray to another line.

If you are curious what the ship looks like, click on this link:
http://www.cruiseferry.de/sunbay.html

Very nice, but not ultra luxury.

Ernie

Old January 15th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Tom & Linda

"E.k.R." wrote in message

Personally I think it gives Celebrity another interesting and unique
cruising opportunity without having to stray to another line.

If you are curious what the ship looks like, click on this link:
http://www.cruiseferry.de/sunbay.html

Millie Junior. Same paint concept.

Maybe we'll call here Melissa.

--Tom

Old January 15th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Linda Coffman

"E.k.R." wrote in message...

I don't think it's like Sea Goddess at all. This is being marketed as an
expedition ship using Celebrity's current standards. I don't think it is
being marketed as ultra-luxury.
Personally I think it gives Celebrity another interesting and unique
cruising opportunity without having to stray to another line.
If you are curious what the ship looks like, click on this link:
http://www.cruiseferry.de/sunbay.html
Very nice, but not ultra luxury.

Sounds like an adventure/destination-oriented concept--a complete departure
for Celebrity. To rival Oceania, perhaps?

You're right, Ernie... from those photos, it appears to be rather spartan.
The only thing about it "which resembles a luxurious private yacht" is the
exterior.

Linda
-----
CruiseDiva.com
http://cruisediva.com

Old January 15th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Benjamin Smith

E.k.R. wrote:
"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message Anyway, sounds
like Sea Goddess again to me. Do you think it'll fly? (or

sail for awhile

Ben S.

I don't think it's like Sea Goddess at all. This is being marketed as an
expedition ship using Celebrity's current standards. I don't think it is
being marketed as ultra-luxury.

Sounded like Sea Goddess, looks a bit like it from the outside. What
made me think of Sea Goddess was how different it was for Celebrity in a
way of how Sea Goddess was different a vessel for Cunard.

Personally I think it gives Celebrity another interesting and unique
cruising opportunity without having to stray to another line.

I think it is interesting as well. Much more so than another new big
ship with the usual features doing the usual itineraries.

If you are curious what the ship looks like, click on this link:
http://www.cruiseferry.de/sunbay.html

Thanks, Ernest.

Very nice, but not ultra luxury.

Not at all. Hope they'll tweak the interior spaces. Doesn't look quite
like Celebrity style.

Ben S.

Ernie