RCI Orders Bold New Ship

Old February 7th, 2006, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default RCI Orders Bold New Ship

To Whom It May Concern:

Ship-To-Shore Cruise Agency® just received this information from Royal
Caribbean International and I thought it would be of interest to this
newsgroup as well.

Happy sailing,
John Sisker
Ship-To-Shore Cruise Agency®
(714) 536-3850 or toll free at
(800) 724-6644 & (pagoo ID: 714.536.3850)
http://www.shiptoshorecruise.com

Royal Caribbean International Orders Bold New Ship...
Royal Caribbean International fast-forwarded cruise-ship innovation today by
ordering a new ship that will take the line's award-winning guest experience
far into the future.

The 5,400-guest, 220,000-gross-registered-ton ship, a prototype developed
under the project name, Genesis, builds upon the trailblazing innovations of
the brand's landmark Voyager and Freedom classes of ships. Finnish
shipbuilder Aker Yards will build the ship for a Fall 2009 delivery,
continuing a 35-year collaboration with Royal Caribbean. At 1,180 feet long,
154 feet wide and 240 feet high, Project Genesis will give Royal Caribbean
ample room to create memorable new icons and amenities to heighten guests'
cruise experience. Energy efficiency also was prioritized in the new design
with significant modifications made in the form of the hull and in the air
conditioning and water production and treatment systems. The company
estimates the all-in cost of the ship to be approximately $230,000 per berth
or roughly comparable per berth to a Freedom-class ship, despite its being a
prototype with significant advancements. The contract is contingent upon the
completion of certain conditions by the end of February. Royal Caribbean
also has an option for a second ship. "It is exhilarating to take such a
giant step into the future," said Royal Caribbean Chairman and CEO Richard
Fain. "We are fortunate to have such gifted collaborators as Aker Yards, and
such valued supporters and advisors as our guests and trade partners.
Project Genesis truly is a remarkable ship. Its bold design, daring
innovations and technological advancements will delight our existing
cruisers and help us draw in new ones." Yrjo Julin, president of Aker Yards
Cruise and Ferries, is equally proud of the companies' work. "After
developing so many generations of cruise ships together, we are excited
about jumping so far out in front of cruise-ship design with this highly
innovative and exciting ship," Julin said. "Working together, we will create
an unparalleled experience for the next generation of cruisers." Julin
estimates Project Genesis will take 5,800 man years to complete. Aker Yards
has delivered 11 ships to Royal Caribbean over the last four decades. Three
of the brand's newbuilds are now under construction at the yard. The first
out is Freedom of the Seas, which debuts in June. Royal Caribbean
International is a global cruise vacation company with 19 ships in service
and three under construction. The company also offers unique cruisetour
vacations in Alaska, Canada and Europe. Additional information can be found
on the company's web site at www.royalcaribbean.com or by calling
800-327-6700.

Old February 7th, 2006, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake "John Sisker" :

To Whom It May Concern:

You should read before you post, you're a day late.
--
dillon

Could have been is in the past
Could be is in the future
There is only the now
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default RCI Orders Bold New Ship...where does it end?

I saw a similar newspaper article today also about this. I like newer
and bigger ships, but there has to be a cut-off point somewhere? The
bigger the ship the more pax, the more people to get on and off, serve
meals and drinks to, etc. How will ports of call handle these JUMBO size
ships? Build new piers? Many questions is bigger better?

Len...