Arga, India, credit card scam

Old April 21st, 2004, 11:15 PM
Markus Slinger

Default Arga, India, credit card scam

Years ago I fell victim of a credit card scam in Agra, India. I lost
approximately 5500 euro.

Only one hour after this whole incident, I realized what I had done,
and cancelled the credit card as soon as I could, but it was too late.
A friendly tourist showed me his Lonely Planet guide in which was
warned against this very common type of scam. Certain goods (some
invented quota) were to be shipped to my address from Agra, and then
the company's representative in my country were supposed to take over
the transaction. My credit card was never supposed to be billed, even
though I had signed the slips - I have no excuses for not following
the proper procedures, except severe insomnia and consuming some
amount of beer and food which might have contained some light
sedative.

Since I had signed the slips, my bank and the credit card company
shrugged, and refused to help me at all. My Embassy in Delhi was
extremely unhelpful, and dismissed me completely. I filed a police
report in my own country, which was immediately cancelled since the
crime was not committed here.

I have photos of the leader of this scam gang, and one of his cohorts.
I also have the name, address and phone of a carpet shop/factory which
he took me to. I know that shop is not a fake business, because after
this incident I cancelled my (small) order there, and my request was
promptly followed.

I was very determined in the beginning to make the scam gang reverse
the slips, sending fax after fax to India, but after some month I
thought it better to cut my losses. Now, I am again determined to
follow through.

Are there any serious legal aid I can find to investigate/solve this?
I care more for having my funds returned than having these criminals
punished by law. Could anyone please give me some suggestions?

I will pay well, but cash on delivery only.

Thanks!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:14 AM
Bruce Burger

Years ago I fell victim of a credit card scam in Agra, India. I lost
approximately 5500 euro.

YEARS ago? And you paid the bill and now you want your money back?

If you'd said months ago, perhaps it would be worth flying over there
and filing a police report. Maybe, just maybe, the thieves would be
intimidated into settling with you. But while I don't know what the
statute of limitations is in India, it seems pretty unlikely that you
can collect now.