weekend in milan

Old March 28th, 2007, 09:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default weekend in milan

Thanks

I dont speak a work of Italian ; { i dun no how i will ask for
1....maybe I can write it down instead! LOLS Is there nowhere else
I can buy it from, where they might speak english???? like at the
airport???

Im due to get to italy at 15:00 fri, I allow 1 hr 1/2 to get to the
hotel (if everyfing goes k...)
So say we get ready by 17:00... I am thinking of going to see the
Duomo...will that be open at that time?? or does it close in evening??
what other things are near the Duomo, inc a nice place 2 eat???

Thanks again

Old March 28th, 2007, 11:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 28 Mar, 10:24, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:
Make credence recognised that on 28 Mar 2007 01:00:43 -0700,
has scripted:

Thanks

I dont speak a work of Italian ; { i dun no how i will ask for
1....maybe I can write it down instead! LOLS Is there nowhere else
I can buy it from, where they might speak english???? like at the
airport???

Just say "Metro ticket, three days please" holding up 3 fingers, and
they should understand.

Im due to get to italy at 15:00 fri, I allow 1 hr 1/2 to get to the
hotel (if everyfing goes k...)
So say we get ready by 17:00... I am thinking of going to see the
Duomo...will that be open at that time?? or does it close in evening??
what other things are near the Duomo, inc a nice place 2 eat???

The galleria is right next to it. Make sure to find the bull on the
floor in the centre, and stomp on his balls. Supposedly it brings good
luck. Seriously!
--
---
DFM -http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Seriously??? Oh ma days.... that made me laugh good old myths
eh?! I'll let u know after I get bak!!!

K so the galleria and the Duomo will be open on fri evening... is
there a lot 2 do...will that take me up 2 roughly evening time???

Ma plan so far is:

fri evening: c Duomo n galleria.. n go for nice meal
sat: hit the shops.... go window shopping n check out cheaper places 2
lik II Salvagente (how far is that from Centrale station? and how far
is it from the other shops?
sun: someone told me about a boat ride on sum lake?! "Lake Como and
take the boat to Bellagio"... what u think? is it worth it????
mon: might leave early and see Bergamo??

What do u think of the plan??? wot have i missed out??? I might also
go see Last Supper... i can be book that from here... if I get
tickets.... maybe do that on sat.... would u advice a town tour
bus...do they have that in milan??

Ohh and is everyfing open as usual on a sunday or not....

Sorry for asking so many questions....i just wana do as much planning
as I can!!!
Thanks again for all your help

Old March 31st, 2007, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Luca Logi

Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Eating: Porto Cinese is not a bad area to go in the evening. Lively,
and quite nice to walk around.

Maybe you mean *Porta Ticinese*.

Porto cinese would mean Chinese harbour and probably would raise some
smiles. However, there is a large chinese area in Milan.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Home page:
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Mar 27, 1:17 pm, "ALAN HARRISON"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi

Me (23) ma older sis (26) younger sis (12) and mum (40 sumfing) are
going milan for easter wekend...getting there fri evening and cuming
back monday...since we have very little time dere, I want to make a
rough plan of what to do so we dont miss any of the best bits out....

Sorry I didn't respond to this part of your message.

This depends very much on what interests you. Certainly you should see the
cathedral (Duomo) and the church of Saint Ambrose (Sant'Ambrogio), both of
which helpfully stand right by the underground stations named after them.
The castle (Castello Sforzesco) is interesting, if heavily restored, and
fine art fans shouldn't miss the Pinacoteca di Brera. Have a look at some of
the posh shops in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele and the Via Montenapoleone.
A ride on one of the magnificent trams dating from 1928 is a must.

Second Pinacoteca Brera, especially for Caravaggio, and also I enjoyed
the "Navigli".

B;

Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Thanks for all the useful help so far!

What will be closed due to the fact we are coming easter wekend (April
06 to April 9)

I am hoping that not everything will be closed ALL weekend????

Old April 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 wrote:

1st question: how far is Milan Orio al Serio (BGY) airport from
Centrale Station (our hotel is near there) and what would be the best
way of getting there????

Contrary to what somebody said, there is a direct coach from BGY to
Centrale. You can find all details on the airport web site (english
version at
http://www.sacbo.it/Airpor/portalPro...p?languageID=2 )

It is however true that calling Orio "Milano" is misleading. There was
a low cost airline flying from Linate (instead of Orio as most do) who
had a pun in its ad "Milano sul serio (seriously) non Orio al Serio"
("al Serio" from the river Serio).

Where is exactly your hotel "near Centrale" ? The area has recently got
a bad fame in the evening.

About suggestions, consider that Easter AND the following Monday are
holidays. If you are interested in shopping that means the only day
for that is Saturday. If you are interested in museums I cannot tell
beforehand (but I could looking on a newspaper on Saturday). Usually
museums are open on Sunday and closed on Monday. Being Monday an holiday
there is a possibility that some are open. Usually temporary exhibitions
are open, other museums ... depends.

You will be definitely visiting the cathedral (Duomo), but I advise you
to do it on Monday. There will be ceremonies on Saturday evening and
Sunday morning. There are no ceremonies at all on Saturday (the "Holy
Saturday" before Easter is an "aliturgical day" in the Ambrosian Rite)
and perhaps you could find the cathedral darker. Same advise holds for
other interesting churches (S.Ambrogio, S.Lorenzo, S.Eustorgio, S.Maria
delle Grazie, etc.).

Concerning museums, forget about the Last Supper (requires reservation
in advance). Other renowned art museums are the Pinacoteca di Brera
(which is a state owned painting gallery with several masterpieces), the
civic art museums at the Castle (Castello Sforzesco), the Ambrosiana
(which is extremely nice and well kept, you can see Raphael drawings in
full scale for the "Athens School", some Caravaggio and a lot of other
things), located near to Duomo, and the Diocesan museum, located near
S.Eustorgio (maybe there are joint tickets to the Cappella Portinari in
S.Eustorgio, and the byzantine mosaics in S.Lorenzo) and the Navigli
area (see other posting).

I'll skip non-art museums, or strolling around old part of the centre
hunting for medieval or roman remains. Google for old posts of mine.

About shopping, consider either Corso Vittorio Emanuele (from Duomo to
S.Babila) in the centre, or Corso Buenos Aires or Corso Vercelli for
everyman shopping, or the "fashion quadrilateral" (via Montenapoleone
and north of it, close to S.Babila) for fashion, if you are interested
(I am not).

The centre of Milan is walkable (and I like walking in the smaller,
shopless, streets) and from the Centrale station you can also walk to
Corso Buenos Aires. Otherwise there is the metro, the trams and the
buses. The standard ticket costs one euro and allows you to travel for
75 minutes (only once in the metro). Otherwise there are day tickets
see http://www.atm-mi.it/ATM/eng/

In the (upper floor) main gallery of Centrale station there should be an
APT office (provincial tourist office) where you can collect information
brochures, maps etc. Another one should be somewhere near piazza Duomo
(recently moved, I believe somewhere underground (old Cobianchi site)
accessible from the northern porticoes, i.e. right with the back to the
cathedral, left from the Galleria

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Luca Logi wrote:

Deeply Filled Mortician wrote:

Eating: Porto Cinese is not a bad area to go in the evening.

Maybe you mean *Porta Ticinese*.

Porto cinese would mean Chinese harbour and probably would raise some
smiles.

Smiles but not so much. The correct italian name is indeed "Porta
Ticinese" (from latin "Porta Ticinensis", i.e. the gate leading to
Ticinum, which was the ancient name of Pavia). The present one is the
third gate of the name (gate in the spanish walls, preceded by the
medieval one, still standing near S.Lorenzo, and by the roman one, no
longer existing, at Carrobbio).

But in milanese it is commonly called "Porta 'cines" or also "Porta
Cicca". The former is obviously a corruption of "ticinese" but happens
to sound like to "chinese". Compare the popular song "el biscela de
Porta Cines"
http://www.maltrainsema.it/forum/pos...=97&FORUM_ID=7

And about a harbour ... near Porta Ticinese there is the Darsena, which
until the '60s was perhaps the third or fourth harbour in Italy for
tonnage transported. The only thing transported (by barges on the two
Navigli canals) was sand ... but sand is very heavy !

As DFM said the two Navigli (Naviglio Pavese and Naviglio Grande) are a
good area for eating. The Naviglio Grande (which is the older, 1260 or
thereabout) is more pictoresque.

It's a pity that the original poster is not here the weekend AFTER
Easter, when there is a flower fair along the Naviglio Grande (see
http://www.navigliogrande.mi.it/eventi.htm ). If he is interested there
is another traditional flower fair on Easter Monday (known in Italy as
S.Angelo) between piazza della Repubblica (not far from Centrale)
towards the church of S.Angelo. The S.Angelo fair is more likely an
open air market (flowers and plants concentrated in piazza della
Repubblica and around the church), and with local florists only. The
Navigli flower market instead has florists coming from all over Italy,
and is dedicated to flower, plants (plus things like honey or other
typical food)

There is also a tourist navigation on the Navigli, but I'm not sure when
it reopens, and how much in advance one has to reserve. Check
http://www.navigamilano.it/default.asp?st=010000&lg=IT

is a newsreading account used by more persons to