Newbie Travel Questions (Europe, Russia, Ukraine)

Old March 11th, 2004, 04:10 AM
ds

Default Newbie Travel Questions (Europe, Russia, Ukraine)

Hello People.

Good news, bad news. Bad news. Got outscourced from my job (lost it).
GOod news. Have a small window of time to do some travleing for the
first time in my life (outside the USA). So i have some general,
maybe dumb questions.

1.) Im applying for my passport tomorrow, i finally got all the
paperwork. I guess that typically takes up to 6 weeks or so?

2.) lets say, for arguments sake i went to Paris. But i wanted to go
over to Russia and the Ukraine also. Now, would i be able to just go
their as long as i had a passport? I mean, could i just hop a train(s)
and a bus(s) and go their? what potiential problems lie in my path?

Becuase i would like to go over to the Ukraine and Russia. But I would
also like to travel all around those parts. but since i never did it..
i dont know what might prevent me from doing it.

If anyone has been to Russia and Ukraine that is from the USA. How
much money would i be looking at to spend a day for basic lodging and
food? Would it be hard to get there not knowing the native language?
The thing is, im not going to have a whole lot of money for this.

And lastley. Whens a good time to exchage money for the native money?
I mean, if im going to be traveling through so many differnt countries
and all....

ANyhow, guess thats is. The problem is that ai dont know enough to ask
the right questions. So i would be happy for any kinds of input
whether it has to do with my questions or not. Thanks!!!!!!

Hal
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Juliana L Holm

Many places (Ukrane, Russia, but not Western Europe) require Visas. If
you want to go there, do the research or find a good travel agent to help you
get the appropriate Visas.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Charles Hawtrey

(ds) crawled to the nearest keyboard and summoned
the courage to write:

Good news, bad news. Bad news. Got outscourced from my job (lost it).
GOod news. Have a small window of time to do some travleing for the
first time in my life (outside the USA). So i have some general,
maybe dumb questions.

I commend your attitude, making lemonade from lemons.

1.) Im applying for my passport tomorrow, i finally got all the
paperwork. I guess that typically takes up to 6 weeks or so?

"Typically" is the key word. Sometimes it takes a good while longer,
for no apparent reason. You just can't tell.

2.) lets say, for arguments sake i went to Paris. But i wanted to go
over to Russia and the Ukraine also. Now, would i be able to just go
their as long as i had a passport? I mean, could i just hop a train(s)
and a bus(s) and go their? what potiential problems lie in my path?

You could go there but they might not let you in. Both countries
require that you apply for a visa and pay them some money. The State
Dept has a site telling you what the requirements are to enter each
country, at
http://travel.state.gov/foreignentryreqs.html

And lastley. Whens a good time to exchage money for the native money?
I mean, if im going to be traveling through so many differnt countries
and all....

In most of the world your best course is to withdraw money from your
bank account using a local ATM at your destination (but avoid using
the ATM for a credit card cash advance). The exchange rates for an
ATM transaction are almost always much better that at banks and
exchange kiosks. I've never been to Russia or Ukraine so I don't know
specifically whether this is an option in those countries.

ANyhow, guess thats is. The problem is that ai dont know enough to ask
the right questions. So i would be happy for any kinds of input
whether it has to do with my questions or not. Thanks!!!!!!

Hope you enjoy your trip.

--
Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make
you mad. (Aldous Huxley)
Old March 11th, 2004, 05:02 AM
BB

On 10 Mar 2004 20:10:12 -0800, ds wrote:

1.) Im applying for my passport tomorrow, i finally got all the
paperwork. I guess that typically takes up to 6 weeks or so?

Check http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html. It will tell you
what you need to bring to apply, and how you can expedite it (for $60
extra). There are a lot of websites that advertise 24-hour passports but I
don't know what the story is there.

My wife and daughter got their passport renewed last year. The new ones
arrived in something like a week or two. Maybe they're getting better?
Maybe travel being down helps in this aspect, too.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old March 11th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Miguel Cruz

ds wrote:
1.) Im applying for my passport tomorrow, i finally got all the
paperwork. I guess that typically takes up to 6 weeks or so?

Yes, sometimes as little as two weeks. Depends on their workload, and I
think that new passports take longer than renewals.

2.) lets say, for arguments sake i went to Paris. But i wanted to go
over to Russia and the Ukraine also. Now, would i be able to just go
their as long as i had a passport? I mean, could i just hop a train(s)
and a bus(s) and go their? what potiential problems lie in my path?

Mainly the fact that you won't be allowed in. Russia and Ukraine require
visas of US passport-holders. Russia is one of the harder countries to get a
visa for (not because you won't get it, but because they make you jump
through so many hoops).

And lastley. Whens a good time to exchage money for the native money?

The best time is whenever you notice your wallet is empty. Then find the
nearest ATM and withdraw some more.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Joan McGalliard

ds wrote:

If anyone has been to Russia and Ukraine that is from the USA. How
much money would i be looking at to spend a day for basic lodging and
food? Would it be hard to get there not knowing the native language?
The thing is, im not going to have a whole lot of money for this.

First thing to do is a little basic research. Go to your library, and
set up camp at the travel section. Leaf through lots of books, read the
"how to get there" sections. I think you should look at Rough Guide and
Lonely Planet books, but read them all. Just start to get a feel for
what you can do.

As for Russia, I don't think it's right for you this trip. The visa
requires an invitation, which can come from a hotel, tour guide or
resident. So you have to book your travel, accomodation and then get a
faxed invitation which you have to take to the embassy. When in Russia
you have to surrender your passport. Travel in the countryside is
complicated enough that the local (UK) bookstore had no Russian travel
guides, just St P. and Moscow ones.

Russia is a great place to visit, but for this trip on a budget and
wanting to "bum around", then there is plenty to see in Western Europe.
Save Russia for a later trip.

joan
--
Joan McGalliard, UK http://www.mcgalliard.org
Old March 11th, 2004, 12:46 PM
?ystein

(ds) wrote in message . com...
Hello People.

[...]

The first thing you must do is to prioritize what you want to do. It
is not a good idea to combine Paris, Russia and Ukrain. First, because
on all kind of trips it is important to choose what you not are going
to include on the trip. It is a classical mistake to don't experience
anything because you are constantly on the run to see the next thing.
Choose either France or Russia.

Secound, this is espesially true for Russia, because special
preperations are needed. Visa is mentioned. If traveling on a tourist
visa you have to register in the visa what hotels you are going to
stay on, meaning you must book acomandation before you apply for a
visa. If you don't speak Russian you need a travel agency that
specializes on Russia to arrange this for you. Second you will need
help to register your visa once your in Russia. If you don't speak
Russian you must pay your hotel to do this for you (take my word for
it, don't even think of doing it yourself). Be aware of that you can
only cross the border 2 times (in and out of Russia) on a normal
tourist visa. If you want to visit both Russia and Ukrain this means
you can't go back and forth.

If you don't speak Russian you must stick to the big cities as St
Petersburg and Moskva. People working with tourists and some others
speak English, most people don't. It is important that you learn the
cyrillic alphabet. This is essential in order to read the street signs
to find the streets on your map, get off at the right metrostation and
read the menu on restaurants and bars. It isn't that complicated -
good luck!

You need to be prepared well prepared before you go. Lonely planets
Russia edition and a travel agency is an exellent way to go through
red tape, what to see, avoidances and dangers, where to stay. When you
finally get there you will see it was worth the preperations. I advice
you to study the travel guide and ask travel agencys first, then come
back with "the right questions". See you then!

Jan
Old March 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Tom Bellhouse

"ds" wrote in message
[...]

Hal,

Maybe you should travel to India and get your job
back!

You didn't mention how long your "window of
opportunity" will last, and that's important. If
I were in your shoes and had the time and money,
I'd head for western Europe, see a little of
France and Germany, head south to Spain and
Portugal, then hook a "left" eastward and work my
way toward Turkey, and then double back and
figure out how to get home. Or not.

Have fun!

Tom

Old March 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Rick S

I have been to Ukraine twice, the last time five years ago ( I married
a Ukrainian). Very few people speak English there. You will probably
not be able to just get around by yourself without a working knowledge
of Russian or a guide/companion. Things were not very Westernized
although this is changing. I see there are now some ATMs listed in
Odessa. You will need a visa although it is becoming easier to get
and there is discussion of dropping the requirement or making it
available on the spot in places like Odessa. My info is not very up
to date. A good place to look for current info is the travel BB on
brama.com