MSG Allergy!

Old April 5th, 2005, 06:19 AM
A Mate

Default MSG Allergy!

We're going to China soon. I'm allergic to MSG - Is it commonly used most
places? Any ideas on how to avoid it?

Old April 5th, 2005, 06:42 AM
michael

"A Mate" wrote in message
We're going to China soon. I'm allergic to MSG - Is it commonly used most
places? Any ideas on how to avoid it?

yeah... think of it as aji-no-moto (tasty stuff), recognize that no medical
research has ever discovered such a thing as an MSG allergy, and avoid
chinese restaurants...

michael

Old April 5th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Boracay Bill

michael wrote:
snip recognize that no medical
research has ever discovered such a thing as an MSG allergy, and

avoid
chinese restaurants...

However....

A 1995 report prepared for the FDA by the Federation of American
Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) identifies two groups of
people who may develop a condition the report refers to as "MSG symptom
complex." One group is those who may be intolerant to MSG when eaten in
a large quantity. The second is a group of people with severe, poorly
controlled asthma. These people, in addition to being prone to MSG
symptom complex, may suffer temporary worsening of asthmatic symptoms
after consuming MSG. The MSG dosage that produced reactions in these
people ranged from 0.5 grams to 2.5 grams.

See http://doityourself.com/diet/fdamsg.htm
and http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/msg.html
and http://www.fda.gov/medbull/january96/msg.html
also http:www.fda.gov

Old April 5th, 2005, 10:58 AM
A Mate

Thank you Michael - when I next awaken with palpitations and a severe
headache - I'll remember that!! - NOT!

ps. You're incorrect by the way - the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in
Sydney:
(http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle...d=100008 &p=4
has researched the issue and discovered some factors which exacerbate (big
word - e-mail me and I'll explain!) the reaction to MSG. Among them aspirin,
chocolate etc etc.

Thanks anyway!

Old April 5th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Don Ellis

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:19:38 +1000, "A Mate"
wrote:

We're going to China soon. I'm allergic to MSG - Is it commonly used most
places? Any ideas on how to avoid it?

While hardly foolproof, it doesn't hurt to learn how to say "No MSG"
in Chinese.

In Cantonese (the south of the country), it's "Jow may jing" -- Jow as
in "Ow, that hurt." Unfortunately, Chinese is a tone language and this
should be said with middle, low and high tones, respectively. Get
someone to say it for you (concierge?).

And then find out how to say it in Mandarin (much more useful).

And then get them to write it down in Chinese characters for you --
along with any other "Do Not Feed Me This" items. Laminate and off you
go.

Then there's always McDonald's and KFC.

Have a healthy trip.

Cheers,

Don

Old April 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Viviane

On the off chance that you consume some inadvertently, make sure you have
some anti histamine. I always seem to get a headache after any MSG (in
spite of the fact that Chinese restaurants in Sydney don't use it -
supposedly!) so it's interesting to hear that aspirin can exacerbate the
symptoms.

Old April 5th, 2005, 10:10 PM
PeterL

michael wrote:
"A Mate" wrote in message
We're going to China soon. I'm allergic to MSG - Is it commonly

used most
places? Any ideas on how to avoid it?

yeah... think of it as aji-no-moto (tasty stuff), recognize that no

medical
research has ever discovered such a thing as an MSG allergy, and

avoid
chinese restaurants...

You know, restaurants in China are not **Chinese** restaurants, they
are just restaurants.

michael