To: Peri re; San Francisco question

Old March 13th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Linsifer

Default To: Peri re; San Francisco question

Hi Peri!

I like to take the F-line (antique streetcars) from the Fisherman's Wharf area
along Embarcardero where it runs into Market St. which will bring you within a
few short walking blocks to the Union Square area. Cheaper and less wait than
the cable cars. You don't need a car at all in San Francisco. I live an hour
and a half south and would never want to drive my 5 speed stick shift car in
that HILLY little city. And, the parking is prohibitive. Instead, I park at
my aunt's home across the Bay and take BART (subway) to SF. There are so many
busses and other means to get around, not to mention your feet! It's a
relatively small city compared to some. You'll be surprised at how much you can
see without a car. Have fun! It's a great place to "leave your heart".

Lindsay

Subject: Bay Area advice wanted
From: "Mike Cordelli"
Date: 3/8/2004 7:51 AM Pacific Standard Time

If you are staying in the Wharf area, then you really don't need a car for a
day or two. Lots of stuff is within walking distance, and what isn't is an
easy cable car or other public transportation ride. You can then just grab
a taxi over to the pier.

For two days if you are sticking to the touristy stuff, then a car isn't
necessary.

"Peri" wrote in message
. net...
Hi all,

Got docs ! for our upcoming Mercury cruise (California coast down to

Cabo San
Lucas), and are looking for some pre- and post-cruise advice.

The cruise is from Sunday, April 4 - 11, and we're arriving in town late
Thursday night, 4/1. Plan to Priceline a hotel in the Fishermans Wharf

area, as
it seems that gives us the best access to sightseeing and the pier from

where
the Mercury will leave.

My first question is about getting from SFO to the city. Do you suggest

getting
transportation from the airport and staying at the hotel without a car, or
renting a car to use for these couple of days? I know parking is

impossible (or
expensive at the hotel), and I'm not sure we'll actually need a car, but

not
having visited the city before I really don't know. Coming from Long

Island,
it's hard to imagine being anywhere without a car!

My second question is for when we return. We get back early morning

Sunday,
April 11, and don't leave until very early Monday morning. I'm kinda

stuck as
to what our best plan of action for Sunday is. If we stay in the city

again
we'd need to get ourselves to a hotel and then arrange for VERY early

transport
to the airport, but if we stay at the airport we'll be stuck in the middle

of
nowhere on our last day in town.

Who knows the area really well and can help me sort this out?? Thank you

in
advance!

~ Peri