Moralist Pharmacists Refusing To Fill Prescriptions

Old November 11th, 2004, 11:37 PM

Default Moralist Pharmacists Refusing To Fill Prescriptions

In
link.net
posted on Thu, 11 Nov 2004 02:51:05 GMT, nospam wrote:

A better example of hysterical hyperbole could hardly be found.
All the woman had to do was phone her doctor and have the
prescription phoned into a different pharmacy.

Are all prescriptions in the US "phoned in?" I wouldn't care for that
at all, it would truly restrict my freedom of choice of pharmacies.

I have no idea what the percentages are, but it is quite common for
prescriptions to be phoned in by the doctor's office. Many times I
have asked for a prescription only to be told that they would phone
it in. I think you misunderstand this. The doctor will phone it in to
any pharmacy you like. The choice is yours, not the doctor's.

Pete

This is of no use if you don't know that the pharmacist
might not refuse to fill it, might not have it in stock, or
whatever.

Am curious about why any GP should refuse to provide the
patient with a written prescription, although these days
would think that most GPs [in Australia at least] would
offer a computer generated prescription.

Why go to the trouble of making a phone call? Actually, am
not even sure that a phoned prescription would be legal, as
would offer too much opportunity for fraud.

Is the GP himself going to make the call, or delegate it to
his office nurse? How is the pharmacist going to possibly
verify the scrip? If it is counterfeit, how is the
pharmacist going to prove he checked back?

If phoned scrips are current practice in the US, this seems
pretty slack to me.

Regards,
"nilkids"
[reading and posting in alt.support.childfree. On email
request from Yves Bellefeuille

FAQ Maintainer, rec.travel.europe
am no longer posting to that group]