Suggestions needed on Day Trips / Travel around London

Old April 10th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Soumyendu Sarkar

Default Suggestions needed on Day Trips / Travel around London

Dear Friends

We will be visiting London in a party of 4 adults. Can you please suggest good and affordable ways to take day trips from London to places like Oxford, Brighton, Canterbury, Cottswold, etc.

We have nine full days in London and this is our first trip. Please feel free to suggest destinations.

What is the cheapest option to buy Travel cards and get it delivered to my American address? Do we need to buy 1-6 Zone cards to cover Windsor castle. To cover Heathrow Airport is Zone 1-2 card enough. We would also like to know the type of discounts that we may get on the Thames ferry using this card.

Is it possible to travel from Heathrow airport to Padington with luggage by the Tube. What is Heathrow Express? How costly is that?

For London open bus tours, which of the operators do you prefer. How much do they charge?

Is microwavable frozen food commonly available in London. What about fast noodles.

thanks for your help

Soumyendu Sarkar
Affordable way to visit Alaska

Old April 10th, 2004, 12:51 AM
NoNameAtAll

Cambridge is a beautiful city. Be sure to hire a boat so you can punt the Cam.
Old April 10th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Richard

I took a day trip to Edinburgh and was blown away. I recomend spending
one night/two days in Edinburgh right in the middle of your trip. The
Train ride is 4 hours and its a great way to see the country.

Richard

Old April 10th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Unless you are staying well outside the usual tourist areas 1-2 will do
fine. If you need to go outside you can pay an add on fare for the
trip. I've just usually bought local passes when I arrive. FFM

Soumyendu Sarkar http://www.sarkar.org
Affordable way to visit Alaska http://www.sarkar.org/alaska/

Old April 10th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Mark Hewitt

It's difficult to reply to your post as it's in HTML. Please fix your
newsreader

. To cover Heathrow Airport is Zone 1-2 card enough. We would also like to

know the type of discounts that we may get on the Thames ferry using this
card.

No. It isn't www.thetube.com will give you info

What is Heathrow Express? How costly is that?

http://www.heathrowexpress.com

Is microwavable frozen food commonly available in London. What about fast

noodles.

Well duh. It's 2004 in the UK too you know.

Old April 10th, 2004, 07:29 PM
freeda

Is microwavable frozen food commonly available in London. What about fast
noodles.

Well we got electricity last month, so we may have microwaves soon..

Old April 14th, 2004, 05:12 PM
David Horne

wrote:

The Cotswolds require a car. All the other places are easy by train (or
bus - cheaper but slower).

They have bus trips from Cheltenham etc., and it is possible to get
around much of the Cotswolds without car by using various bus routes-
but it requires planning, and not in a daytrip certainly. Even by car,
it's not really a day trip. The Chilterns might not be a bad idea
though.

Yes, widely. Don't buy from convenience stores, though - they're expensive
and don't generally offer the best quality. Complete meals, known as
"ready meals", are best from the Marks & Spencer and Waitrose chains.

I can't remember the last time I bought a ready meal, but a report I
heard today claims Waitrose now have the edge!

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Tim Kroesen

London Walks lead regular excursions to the Cotswolds on public
transportation...

http://www.walks.com/

Tim K

"David Horne" wrote in message
news:1gc8sy0.8e82gv1ci2ammN%this_address_is_for_sp ...

Old April 16th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Gary Jenkins

.. What is Heathrow Express? How costly is that?

Heathrow Express is an overground railway link between Heathrow and
Paddington, built a few years ago. It's the quickest way to get from
Heathrow to Central London but significantly more expensive than the
tube. Be aware also that Paddington is at the north-west edge of the
Central area and that if there are four of you together a taxi from
Heathrow to your hotel may well work out cheaper than the Heathrow
Express.