Flying AF?

Old June 18th, 2008, 02:29 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Flying AF?

On Jun 17, 4:52 am, (John Kulp) wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:32:12 -0700 (PDT), StephanieM

wrote:

Agree there.

I hate to tell you guys, while you may not believe what they served on
my flight from Houston to Newark which was in first class, it really
was a cheeseburger out of a bag.

Hate to tell you but you don't know what you're talking about.

Stephanie is correct. On the hub to hub and hub to coast flights of 3
hours or so the food offered in FC during non-meal times is soup,
salad (with shrimp) or soup and a hot sandwich. The sandwich offering
varies but includes chicken pannini, some sort of pizza ciabatta, and
the infamous cheeseburger.

I wasn't commenting on AF business/first class and CO's first class.
My comment about COs first class was factual. I don't know if they
had an issue with food service that night or not, and that's why they
passed out burgers or salads with soup, but I thought it was pretty
amazing getting a cheeseburger out of a plastic bag in first class on
CO. Since I was using my vacation pass (I worked for an affilate of
CO, XJET) I was bumped to first class, but I was offered the same meal
choice). So since I didn't pay for the flight I wasn't inclined to
complain about the food choice for that evening.

If it did happen, it certainly was a food issue, because I fly them
all the time in both classes and that's not what they do. I have
never had a hamburger served to me on them in anything other than
economy.

If in fact you are such a frequent resident of the front of the
Continental bus, I'll share with you my last dinner menu from a
transcon last Friday. Then perhaps you can share with me yours?

Appetizer - lobster claw and tail on a bed of lettuce with lemon and a
red (thousand island) sauce
Entre - Salmon with a lobster/fish sauce, rice, broccolini
Salad - mixed mescula with tomatoes served with a italian vinagrette
Wine - a white (chard) of unknown bottler but quite good. Would have
had the Uma but I'm a bit of a snob with colors.
Dessert: Sundae with strawberry and Baileys up.

I have flown oversees on CO and AF. My experience on AF was better.
The food was better, the fact you could walk to the back of the plane
and get yourself a drink, a soda, or even a snack was really nice.
The entertainment system is better, more channels and more choices. I
know that going forward I am definately going to see what options
other than CO are available when I book a trip.

Big deal. You can simply ask for something more if you want it. Fly
whoever you want, but, if you are an Express employee, you will pay a
lot more for flying on AF than CO. And you are obviously also
ignorant of the entertainment system upgrade
CO has put in most of its aircraft as well.

There is no video system in the brand new 737 8/9's just delivered
this past month or two. Bet you'll argue that this is not true,
either. Good luck.

Methinks that CO dumping
its stock in Express and renegotiating is contract with them downwards
significantly has something to do with your comments.

Methinks you are an angry old man.

al
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

wrote:

Agree there.

I hate to tell you guys, while you may not believe what they served on
my flight from Houston to Newark which was in first class, it really
was a cheeseburger out of a bag.

Hate to tell you but you don't know what you're talking about.

Stephanie is correct. On the hub to hub and hub to coast flights of 3
hours or so the food offered in FC during non-meal times is soup,
salad (with shrimp) or soup and a hot sandwich. The sandwich offering
varies but includes chicken pannini, some sort of pizza ciabatta, and
the infamous cheeseburger.

I have had only the pannini served to me in FC as a sandwich. The
others I have only had in economy on this length routes between Denver
and EWR. You're saying that they serve the exact same sandwichs in FC
on routes like this which has, well, zero credibility..

[...]

Sure. I had pretty much exactly the same thing between Houston and
Buenos Aires a couple of weeks ago. Anyone can go look up this menu
right on line on their website. Big deal.

[...]

And how do you know you were on one of the new ones being delivered?
On the Denver routes I have flown only the smaller 737s don't have the
entertainment system on them and they are being phased out.

Methinks that CO dumping
its stock in Express and renegotiating is contract with them downwards
significantly has something to do with your comments.

Methinks you are an angry old man.

Methinks Stephanie should be fired outright for coming here and
badmouthing her employer which hardly makes her credible does it?
Especially when CO wins award after award year after year from the
likes of JD Power and Fortune magazing, though I'm sure she impresses
you. Methinks also that if she works works for CO Express like she
claims, she makes next to nothing and would be a complete moron
spending her less than livable wages on flying on other airlines when
she would fly for virtually nothing on CO wouldn't she? I'm sure that
impresses you though too.
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
berry[_2_]

"Michael" wrote:

"VS" wrote in message
In article
,
StephanieM wrote:

Yes, it's usually worth it to pay a little extra for a US carrier than
for a bottom-of-the-barrel euro carrier like AF or KLM.

I flew KLM long haul a few months ago and I was very happy with them. Better
in flight service than the US carriers (or indeed British Airways) that I've
flown over the past few years.

If I could only fly one airline today,it would be KLM. They can... and
know how to do it in so many ways.

Old June 19th, 2008, 02:40 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

wrote:

Agree there.

I hate to tell you guys, while you may not believe what they served on
my flight from Houston to Newark which was in first class, it really
was a cheeseburger out of a bag.

Hate to tell you but you don't know what you're talking about.

Stephanie is correct. On the hub to hub and hub to coast flights of 3
hours or so the food offered in FC during non-meal times is soup,
salad (with shrimp) or soup and a hot sandwich. The sandwich offering
varies but includes chicken pannini, some sort of pizza ciabatta, and
the infamous cheeseburger.

I have had only the pannini served to me in FC as a sandwich. The
others I have only had in economy on this length routes between Denver
and EWR. You're saying that they serve the exact same sandwichs in FC
on routes like this which has, well, zero credibility..

Then you learned something new, now didn't you.

If in fact you are such a frequent resident of the front of the
Continental bus, I'll share with you my last dinner menu from a
transcon last Friday. Then perhaps you can share with me yours?

Sure. I had pretty much exactly the same thing between Houston and
Buenos Aires a couple of weeks ago. Anyone can go look up this menu
right on line on their website. Big deal.

And on your last transcon?

[...]

Gee - lets see.......Oh maybe it was the reg plate on the door jamb,
the tail number, or what the boss said?

Nah - maybe it was the new car smell.

On the Denver routes I have flown only the smaller 737s don't have the
entertainment system on them and they are being phased out.

The 5's usually don't. But this was an 8/9.

Methinks that CO dumping
its stock in Express and renegotiating is contract with them downwards
significantly has something to do with your comments.

Methinks you are an angry old man.

Methinks Stephanie should be fired outright for coming here and
badmouthing her employer which hardly makes her credible does it?
Especially when CO wins award after award year after year from the
likes of JD Power and Fortune magazing, though I'm sure she impresses
you. Methinks also that if she works works for CO Express like she
claims, she makes next to nothing and would be a complete moron
spending her less than livable wages on flying on other airlines when
she would fly for virtually nothing on CO wouldn't she? I'm sure that
impresses you though too.

Methinks you have had your last conversation with me.

al
Old June 19th, 2008, 03:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

wrote:

[...]

That you don't know what you're talking about?

If in fact you are such a frequent resident of the front of the
Continental bus, I'll share with you my last dinner menu from a
transcon last Friday. Then perhaps you can share with me yours?

Sure. I had pretty much exactly the same thing between Houston and
Buenos Aires a couple of weeks ago. Anyone can go look up this menu
right on line on their website. Big deal.

And on your last transcon?

Cheeseburger. Flying economy on CO. Funny coincidence huh? Were you
in FC having the same thing?

[...]

And maybe you just made it up like the meal. Funny, CO would be
advertising its upgrades to their entertainment systems and would have
just forgot to put it on their new 737s isn't it?

On the Denver routes I have flown only the smaller 737s don't have the
entertainment system on them and they are being phased out.

The 5's usually don't. But this was an 8/9.

Sure it was. Prove it.

Methinks that CO dumping
its stock in Express and renegotiating is contract with them downwards
significantly has something to do with your comments.

Methinks you are an angry old man.

Methinks Stephanie should be fired outright for coming here and
badmouthing her employer which hardly makes her credible does it?
Especially when CO wins award after award year after year from the
likes of JD Power and Fortune magazing, though I'm sure she impresses
you. Methinks also that if she works works for CO Express like she
claims, she makes next to nothing and would be a complete moron
spending her less than livable wages on flying on other airlines when
she would fly for virtually nothing on CO wouldn't she? I'm sure that
impresses you though too.

Methinks you have had your last conversation with me.

Thank God for little favors. No more fantasies to look at.
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Jun 19, 3:28 pm, Polly the Parrot
wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:15:02 GMT (John Kulp)
wrote:

A lot.

have you flown any other airlines (European, etc.)?

Yes, a large number of them, including AF, KL, SK, LH, Alitalia, BA,
British Midland, and a number of others.

Well likewise here - Continental, AF, KLM, BA, Singapore, Qantas,
Thai, Air New Zealand, Alitalia, Garuda, PB Air, AA, NW, America West
(when it existed) & unfortunately UA.

IMO none of the US airlines I have flown are up to the lowest standard
of the others mentioned.

However, all a matter of opinion. YMMV.

Why are you so excited about this?

Apparently John doesn't ever want to be wrong. And in case you do
decide to read this John, there is no video on the newly delivered
900ERs and they do serve cheesburgers up front as snacks on the mid-
distance hub to hubs and hub to coasts. From Flyer Talk: "The newest
737-900ERs are being delivered without any IFE. These planes have a
slightly different seating arrangement (29 ABC exist) so they should
be readily identifiable on seatmaps once it does go into service."

Personally, I have found Virgin Atlantic to offer the best service and
amenities in a business class product. I'm particularly impressed by
Branson's Clubhouse at Heathrow.

Alitalia not so good - especially the lounge at Milpensa. KLM back in
the days of the Delft houses (do they still do this) was OK- upper
deck. Way back NWA flew the 100 series to Tokyo. The last seat in
the back of the upper deck was my favorite for a long time. I gave up
on AA about 5 years ago although their 767 service with the personal
video systems was quite acceptable. Not so much today, however, with
the exception of the Flagship suites. I did enjoy the FC lounge at
O'Hare. The one at BOS again not so good. Singapore and Cathay have
great accommodations - better than any EU or US carrier. I also think
Thai does a great cabin service. JAL isn't high on my list and I have
purposely avoided Korean Air.

BA's lie flat BC's are the pits - I still can't get the idea of the
head to toe stuff. SAS was always consistent on mid-haul EU but
transatlantic was not their forte in my opinion.

All of my international travel is FC or BC. Most of my domestice,
over 95%, is FC so I really can't comment on the back of the bus. I'm
sure John can fill in the gaps. Apparently he is quite familiar with
the menu options so he likely spends a good deal of time there.

CO does an adequate job transcon as well as to EU. I have found the
757 singe aisles to be a bit more intimate and the service a bit more
personable than the wide bodies. The FAs a bit worn around the edges
but I've noticed that on some EU carriers. I do like the idea of
avoiding CDG or LHR if I'm going to Barcelona or EDI - something I can
get consistently with CO. I don't do them to the Far East though. Too
few options and their partners are not top tier for me.

So much for my two cents. One thing I have learned on these
newsgroups is that if you don't reply to the idiots they will continue
to be idiots but at least not at your expense.

al
Old June 20th, 2008, 02:27 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

wrote:

[...]

And apparently your source is some flying gossip mag rather than any
personal experience. Just as I thought.

Personally, I have found Virgin Atlantic to offer the best service and
amenities in a business class product. I'm particularly impressed by
Branson's Clubhouse at Heathrow.

Whoopee do! Go fly them then.

Somebody gives a **** you pompous ass?

BA's lie flat BC's are the pits - I still can't get the idea of the
head to toe stuff. SAS was always consistent on mid-haul EU but
transatlantic was not their forte in my opinion.

With your opinion being worth nothing.

All of my international travel is FC or BC. Most of my domestice,
over 95%, is FC so I really can't comment on the back of the bus. I'm
sure John can fill in the gaps. Apparently he is quite familiar with
the menu options so he likely spends a good deal of time there.

Sure it is you pompous ass. Right after reading the menus off the
airlines' websites. Serving drinks in coach is more like it. Send us
copies of your boarding passes to prove it.

CO does an adequate job transcon as well as to EU. I have found the
757 singe aisles to be a bit more intimate and the service a bit more
personable than the wide bodies. The FAs a bit worn around the edges
but I've noticed that on some EU carriers. I do like the idea of
avoiding CDG or LHR if I'm going to Barcelona or EDI - something I can
get consistently with CO. I don't do them to the Far East though. Too
few options and their partners are not top tier for me.

So you can tickle the male flight attendants?

So much for my two cents. One thing I have learned on these
newsgroups is that if you don't reply to the idiots they will continue
to be idiots but at least not at your expense.

What a beautiful self description of a pompous ass whose source of
info is menu descriptions on airline websites and flying mag gossips.
Old June 20th, 2008, 02:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

wrote:

[...]

And never mind that seat guru says you're full of crap as well.