Sicily advice

Old August 19th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Dan Stephenson

Default Sicily advice

Hi, I think I'll go to Sicily next and I'm looking for advice.

I want to go to Sicily because I perceive it to have similarity with
Greece in landscape, and because it has a lot of ancient Greek history
and presumeably lots of ruins to clamber over.

I also want to visit any megalithic sites a la Stonehenge.

I plan to drive, and will mark up a detailed road atlas beforehand to
follow. I did this on my recent Wales and Scotland trips - these were,
as I wish for Sicily, 'road trips'. I am a "power traveller" who can
and wants to be on the move seeing amazing things 12 hours in the day.
I'm not a sip coffee for 3 hours kind of person. :-)

What guidebooks can you recommend? I have been happy before with
Lonely Planet and Green Guide (I presume there are Sicily-specific
versions of these guidebooks). What else can be recommended given the
interest in Greek ruins, megalithics, and the landscape? On the
landscape note, I will get a Michelin atlas, which highlights the
'scenic' stretches of roads. So my travel is a road trip along the
scenic routes between stopping points like a stone circle or a ruin.

Are there B&Bs or something like it in Sicily? The only European
"countryside" I've really been in is in Britain where there are a ton
of B&Bs. Elsewhere in Italy I've just taken the train before from city
to city.

I am also interested in the volcano. How close can I get?

How would you recommend I arrive? I can fly out from Dallas direct to
either London, Paris, or Frankfurt on a 777. I guess there are flights
to Palermo from there?

I will probably go sometime this Fall. Are there any schedule things I
need to know in this regard?

Thanks for your help, please post.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:34 PM
ThePrudentMariner

I will get a Michelin atlas, which highlights the
'scenic' stretches of roads. So my travel is a road trip along the
scenic routes between stopping points like a stone circle or a ruin.

Dump Michelin, get Touring Club Italia's "Atlante Stradale d'Italia"
Southern Section. You can buy it when you arrive or at any good service
station.

For a guide book, my personal choice would be "The Rough Guide to Sicily".
Less waffle, more useful facts and general info.This recommendation will
probably generate much static from Foder fans et al.

Hope this helps.

Old August 19th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Dan Stephenson

In article , ThePrudentMariner
wrote:

I will get a Michelin atlas, which highlights the
'scenic' stretches of roads. So my travel is a road trip along the
scenic routes between stopping points like a stone circle or a ruin.

Dump Michelin, get Touring Club Italia's "Atlante Stradale d'Italia"
Southern Section. You can buy it when you arrive or at any good service
station.

Thanks, I'll try to order that in advance. Marking up my atlas in
advance, and hypothesizing routes, is a fun fun pre-vacation activity
for me.

For a guide book, my personal choice would be "The Rough Guide to Sicily".
Less waffle, more useful facts and general info.This recommendation will
probably generate much static from Foder fans et al.

Ok, I'll look for it.

Hope this helps.

Old August 19th, 2004, 07:27 PM
ThePrudentMariner

Thanks, I'll try to order that in advance. Marking up my atlas in
advance, and hypothesizing routes, is a fun fun pre-vacation activity
for me.

Have a look at this site:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/maps.htm

It is owned by an American Italophile with lots of bumff about travel in
Italy but this page gives you the low down on maps. in particular, where to
get the Atlante Stradale d'Italia.