US requiring Airlines to enter in passport information?

Old November 6th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Robert Nicholson

Default US requiring Airlines to enter in passport information?

What exactly is the procedure? I'm noticing that a lot of airlines are
now recording passport details and on my recent arrival back to the US
I was not asked, as I am alway, "How long were you out?"

It's as if the immigration official already had the answer in front of
him.

When I flew out JAL in August I noticed that for the first time the
airline scanned my passport
upon leaving. That is essentially equivalent to having been stamped on
the way out.
Old November 6th, 2003, 10:10 PM
JohnT

"Robert Nicholson" wrote in message
om...
What exactly is the procedure? I'm noticing that a lot of airlines are
now recording passport details and on my recent arrival back to the US
I was not asked, as I am alway, "How long were you out?"

It's as if the immigration official already had the answer in front of
him.

When I flew out JAL in August I noticed that for the first time the
airline scanned my passport
upon leaving. That is essentially equivalent to having been stamped on
the way out.

When I arrive back in the UK (as a British Citizen) I go to the EU/EAA
Channel having previously opened my Passport at the ID page, stop, show my
Passport to the IO, say "Good morning/afternoon/evening" (as the case may
be), get a reply "good morning" etc [normally with "Sir" added] and proceed
about my legitimate business. The entire transaction takes about 10 seconds.
Why is it any more complicated than that for US Citizens who are returning
to their own Country?

JohnT

Old November 6th, 2003, 10:38 PM
colin

"JohnT" wrote in message

| "Robert Nicholson" wrote in message
| om...
| What exactly is the procedure? I'm noticing that a lot of airlines are
| now recording passport details and on my recent arrival back to the US
| I was not asked, as I am alway, "How long were you out?"
|
| It's as if the immigration official already had the answer in front of
| him.
|
| When I flew out JAL in August I noticed that for the first time the
| airline scanned my passport
| upon leaving. That is essentially equivalent to having been stamped on
| the way out.
|
| When I arrive back in the UK (as a British Citizen) I go to the EU/EAA
| Channel having previously opened my Passport at the ID page, stop, show my
| Passport to the IO, say "Good morning/afternoon/evening" (as the case may
| be), get a reply "good morning" etc [normally with "Sir" added] and
proceed
| about my legitimate business. The entire transaction takes about 10
seconds.
| Why is it any more complicated than that for US Citizens who are returning
| to their own Country?

What airport is that at? Every time I arrive back in the UK, I *never* get
stopped by immigration. I usually arrive in either Heathrow or Glasgow.

Old November 6th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Dick Locke

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:10:40 -0000, "JohnT"
wrote:

"Robert Nicholson" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

The Immigration people perform some prescreening for Customs and for
agricultural quarantine. They want to know where you went and the
purpose of the trip. That's the least ominous explanation and I think
it's 99% true.

When (if at all) do Brits get a question about whether they have been
someplace where they could pick up a disease like hoof and mouth?

Old November 6th, 2003, 11:32 PM
JohnT

wrote:

[...]

Not at all (hoof and mouth/foot and mouth). To be objective about this, we
tend to export rather than import that disease. But (and I am open to
correction on this matter) I have the ABSOLUTE right to return to my own
Country with proper documentation (UK Passport) without anyone asking where
I have been or why.

JohnT

Old November 7th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Go Fig

wrote:

[...]

That has been my experience, especially at LAX, 30 sec at immigration
and sometimes inspection at agriculture.

jay
Thu, Nov 6, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old November 7th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Go Fig

wrote:

[...]

Not so long ago they could have looked through your passport and had
some idea where you had been, was it not a right then or is it just the
oral declaration ?

jay
Thu, Nov 6, 2003

JohnT

Old November 7th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Robert Nicholson

The US is obviously very concerned about knowing where anybody who has
the right to live here are going... so they are most interested in
tracking the wear abouts of anybody who has legal right to reside here
and as such require the cooperation from the airlines to get this
information. I had to stop in Japan because my passport information
was incorrectly added into the computer when I left Thailand and the
JAL gal specifically stated that it's a US thing but also when I flew
from Thailand to Australia they also had to enter my information in
the computer.

Old November 7th, 2003, 06:10 AM
Robert Nicholson

Can we get back on topic please.

the issue is that immigration is relying on the airlines to enter your
passport data whenever you check into fly and I believe they have
access to this information in order to track your movements.

Old November 7th, 2003, 06:12 AM
Sjoerd

"JohnT" schreef in bericht
But (and I am open to
correction on this matter) I have the ABSOLUTE right to return to my own
Country with proper documentation (UK Passport) without anyone asking

where
I have been or why.

Citizens of other EU countries are treated the same way by UK immigration.
Just a very quick glance at the passport / ID card and no questions asked.

Sjoerd