Tipping in USA/Canada

Old November 28th, 2007, 07:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
mrtravel[_3_]

Default Tipping in USA/Canada

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

I asked, "How many NZ car brands are there?"
How many did you indicate in your response?

Three:
Trekka.
Lonsdale.
McGregor.
etc.

That wasn't your previous response to my question.

Well, yes it was! You asked - I don't have a definitive total so I
listed some that qualify.

The answer you first gave was there had been one and it was dead and gone.

McGregor don't seem to make cars, they make kits.

Wrong. They make complete cars.

They make replicas of the Lotus Seven which was made many years ago.
It's not really a NZ design. The company mainly makes its money from
selling these replica kits. It puts a few together in a "factory" for
people who aren't able to build from kits. It's hardly a standard
production automobile and definitley not NZ. If Hyundai decides to make
Sonatas in Auckland, would that be a "NZ brand"?

Lonsdale was made in Lonsdale, Australia

Yeah, I'll give you that one as my source was wrong.

Trekka was made for a few years. over 30 years ago, until NZ gave access
to the competion.

You asked for New Zealand car brands - Trekka definitely qualifies.

Yes, so your first answer of 1 was correct.

Perhaps you should learn how to research and stop guessing.
After all, you did claim the internet didn't exist in 1984.

You did claim my response to your question wasn't a response to your
question - how stupid a statement was that!

I asked and your answer, at the time, was "1 dead and gone".
Given this 1 standard production vehicle was built over 30 years ago and
died with competition speaks volumes of its quality, yet you harp on US
auto quality.

Old November 28th, 2007, 07:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
mrtravel[_3_]

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Wouldn't this mean the cars were never that good to begin with?

That's frankly a weird conclusion!

Really? This is something alluded to in most of the resources I have
found. As you had stated, import tariffs is why cars from other
countries had parts shipped to NZ for assembly. Additionally, when some
restrictions were eased, the only standard production NZ car brand, died.
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
mrtravel[_3_]

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Sorry, it is definitely a production car. Initially the McGregor was offered as a kit car but for over five years most sales have been of complete cars.

Please cite your source.

In any case, do you think this Lotus Seven replica car is a NZ car, no
matter if it is from a kit or not?

In fact, the Lotus Seven was built by Lotus from 1957
to 1973. McGregor is making kits so people can build cars that look like
the Lotus Seven. These are real Lotus Sevens.

Really.. Real "Lotus" Sevens. Did you look at the part's list?

You obviously haven't looked at the McGregor web site.

I gave YOU the links to the site.
The standard Lotus Seven from Mcgregpr

Engine options: Ford XFlow, Toyota 4AGE
Nissan, Mazda MX5
Power: 100 – 200bhp

From http://www.mcgregormotorsport.co.nz/index.html (Even McGregor
calls them "replicas"

Imagine being behind the wheel of one of these stunning Lotus 7
replicas.....

The original Lotus Seven was built around Ford 93A /Prefect parts, a
1197cc sidevalve engine producing 32 BHP through a Ford 3 speed box and
rear end.
The McGregor is offered with a variety of engines of 2000cc to 3000cc
and 150 - 250bhp with brakes and suspension to match.
32bhp gave a power to weight ratio of 85bhp per tonne while 250bhp gives
a ratio of over 500bhp per tonne.
(I'd guess a car like the Viper has a power to weight ratio of around
300bhp per tonne)
Quite simply the current McGregor (which comes certified) is developed
far beyond the _final_ Lotus Seven product.

And you believe this is a standard production vehicle in Australia?
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Then maybe you should take e deep breath and go get a sandwich.

As it happens I went to a restaurant - the waiter was the owner.

Did you tip him?

Of course not - but I was waiting to hear how you yanks handle
owner/waiter situations.
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Dominos is a brand of make-believe pizza. Kids order it during midnight
munchie fits.

Is there no depths yanks won't decend to???
I thought dominoes were those little black rectangular slabs that bar
customers play some stange game with.

Even though Domino's is a well established brand in New Zealand.

You really ought to get out more.

It's not well established here in the city of Hukerenui!

You said a couple of posts ago that you live in the country, not in
the city.

Are you not clear?

Sure, Hukerenui has a population of 1040 spread over a radius of 7km.

So do you live in a city or in the country?

That would obviously depend upon one's definition of "city" (and
country)
I've pretty much covered that point with the population and area
statistics above.

So you don't know if you live in a city or in the country!

Of course I know.

Yet you were unable to answer the question.

Clearly you do not know.

You can prove me wrong by answering the question.

It depends upon one's definition of "city".
My handy dictionary says "a cathedral town" and "any town made city by
charter".
Those definitions eliminate the majority of cities world-wide.

How can it 'depend'? You said that you know the answer. So what is
the answer?

The answer depends on one's definition of "city".
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:10 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

[...]

Truly astonishing.

If you knew Grogs like we know grogs you'd see that its really nor all
that astonishing.

Another confused reader bites his keyboard.

Then maybe you should take e deep breath and go get a sandwich.

As it happens I went to a restaurant - the waiter was the owner.

Must be the ****ty pay that keeps his wait staff away.

His waiters are his son and his daughter.
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:10 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Then maybe you should take e deep breath and go get a sandwich.

As it happens I went to a restaurant - the waiter was the owner.

Did you tip him?

He tipped greg to make sure he leaves early.

He only needs to serve bad food and I'll never return.
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:12 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
mrtravel[_3_]

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

It's impossible to find all the works of Shakespeare's contemporary
writers on the Internet.
IOWs, you will only find the information people want you to read on the
Internet.

Do you believe a US refusal to assist NZ capture those responsible for
the destruction of Rainbow Warrior, if it happened, would be worhty
enough of putting those articles on the Internet?

Definitely, but on the other hand the NZ government wanted very much to
downplay the US's support of terrorism.
Our economy is entirely dependant on exports and the US is noted for
holding grudges for a very very long time.

Speaking of terrorism, isn't Greenpeace a terrorist organization?
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Sarah Czepiel wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:01:07 +1300, Greg Procter
wrote:

:Sarah Czepiel wrote:
:
: On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 01:16:52 -0800, mrtravel wrote:
:
: :Sarah Czepiel wrote:
: :
: : On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:52:22 +1300, Greg Procter
: : wrote:
: :
: : :I've been a tax payer since I first took on fruit picking in my school
: : :holidays as a child and will remain a tax payer until the day I die.
: :
: : Good lord, Procter! Now you admit to being an itinerant farm worker!
: :
: :That was before he bought the art gallery with his fruit picking income.
:
: I believe his 'art gallery' consisted of a few velvet paintings for
: sale at a road side stand.
:
:You also believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Bad Tooth
:Fairy.

: I seem to recall Procter saying he'd
: never sold a single painting. Hope he made bundles picking fruit.
:
:You seem to recall lots of things Sarah, none of them are ever true.

Yet given the opportunity AGAIN you fail to set the story straight.
Interesting....

I just set you straight on your silly story about velvet pictures and a
road-side stand.
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Sarah Czepiel wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:58:41 +1300, Greg Procter
wrote:

:Sarah Czepiel wrote:
:
: On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:03:39 +1300, Greg Procter
: wrote:
:
: :Sarah Czepiel wrote:
: :
: : On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:52:22 +1300, Greg Procter
: : wrote:
: :
: : :I've been a tax payer since I first took on fruit picking in my school
: : :holidays as a child and will remain a tax payer until the day I die.
: :
: : Good lord, Procter! Now you admit to being an itinerant farm worker!
: :
: :Do you understand the concept of school holidays and earning pocket
: :money by working???
:
: You're the only person I've known who spent school holidays working as
: an itinerant farm worker, Procter.
:
:You don't get about much, do you?

Not in citrus groves, fruit picker.

: Maybe ya shoulda tried waiting tables....?
:
:There aren't that many tables in the country.

For you to make money? Wow no wonder you don't know about tipping.
Sounds like you Kiwi's are a bunch of cheap bastids.

Read "country" as "countryside" or "not in a town or city" or rural, ie
in the country.