American Airlines' Preaching Pilot

Old February 8th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Yaofeng

Default American Airlines' Preaching Pilot

rom wrote in message ...
American Airlines pilot suggests passengers discuss Christianity
Associated Press

NEW YORK - An American Airlines pilot flying passengers to New York asked
Christians on board to identify themselves and suggested the non-Christians
discuss the faith with them, a spokesman for the Fort Worth, Texas-based airline
said Saturday.

Flight 34 was headed from Los Angeles to John F. Kennedy Airport on Friday
afternoon, said spokesman Tim Wagner. The pilot, whose identity was not
released, had been making flight announcements and then asked that the
Christians on board raise their hands, Wagner said.

The pilot told the airline that he then suggested the other passengers use the
flight time to talk to the identified Christians about their faith, Wagner said.

The pilot later told passengers he would be available at the end of the flight
to talk about his first announcement.

Wagner said the airline was investigating the incident, and that the company had
guidelines about appropriate behavior. He said the pilot had just returned to
work from a weeklong mission trip to Costa Rica.

"It falls along the lines of a personal level of sharing that may not be
appropriate for one of our employees to do while on the job," Wagner said.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/...te/7900122.htm

What he did may not be appropriate. But he was not preaching. He
asked Christians on board the flight to share their faith with others.
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Daniel Kolle

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 14:43:25 -0600,
thought hard and said:

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:56:45 +0000, rom wrote:

[...]

Darn, I was going to post this with the header "Jebus makes pilot lose
job...claims he'll live on the love of the Lard."

And he will lose his job...can't have the mentally unstable in such a
position. I wouldn't fly on his plane, and I will send an email to AA
to that effect.

zamboni

I see no problem at all. ...I dunno, maybe I happen to be a little
tolerant. Oooh, my.

-Daniel "Mr. Brevity" Kolle; 15 A.A. #2035
Koji Kondo, Yo-Yo Ma, Gustav Mahler, and Krzysztof Penderecki are my Gods.
Madly Insane EAC Scientist.
Old February 8th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Daniel Kolle

On 7 Feb 2004 18:02:36 -0800, (Yaofeng) thought hard
and said:

rom wrote in message ...
[...]

You could argue, I suppose, that since he did not force anyone to
convert he did nothing wrong. I guess.

Old February 8th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Fruity Nutcake

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:00:38 -0600, Daniel Kolle
wrote:

What he did may not be appropriate. But he was not preaching. He
asked Christians on board the flight to share their faith with others.

You could argue, I suppose, that since he did not force anyone to
convert he did nothing wrong. I guess.

How do you "force" someone to convert on an airplane?

He did plenty wrong, and deserves to lose his job. If you don't think
so, then prove me wrong: Go to your job on Monday, and take your
co-workers and bosses aside individually, and tell them of the glories
of Jesus. Let me know how that works out for you.
Old February 8th, 2004, 04:23 AM
karenL

So one day I'm on a flight and the pilot is Jewish and I have to hear
him tell the other Jewish passengers to talk to me about their faith.
And the next flight I take, the pilot is Muslim and I....etc., etc., etc.
Yeah, that's great. That's what I want my pilots to do. Where do you
draw the line? What is the pilot is a Black Panther or KKK. Is that
okay too?
Old February 8th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Michael Barrett

At least it was not as scary as one United pilot on a flight I took early
last year who announced that his crew was prepared to deal with any
nefarious acts that might arise onboard, and that he hoped we would all "do
our part" if we saw a need to jump in.
The guy sitting beside me said 'Oh for Crist's sake". I guess he would have
not needed a religious discussion.

--
Commander Bob

Please remove ALLSPAM from address to respond via email.

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Al Klein

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 15:27:03 -0600, "E.E.Bud Keith"
posted in alt.atheism:

And just what is that we call you, the guy was not harming a sole but you
compassionate liberals go for the jugular just because you disagree with him.

He's being paid to fly a plane. If he wants to win converts, he
should do it on his own time, not on his employer's time.

perhaps all he was attempting to do was create and
atmosphere in which people might talk to and learn from each other.

You mean that the Christians could have learned reality from the
atheists? Not a chance.
--
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
- Isaac Asimov
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:02 AM
Al Klein

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:03:50 GMT, Douglas Berry
posted in alt.atheism:

I was amused that the captain had just returned from a mission to
Costa Rica.. an area which has been 95% Catholic for four centuries.

Which of course makes them a perfect target for a missionary who has
the "real truth".
--
"Damn. Looks like all of usenet agrees that you don't have the logical
faculties to prove the statement 'dog**** is not peanut butter' if we