Singapore - 6 hrs to kill in airport- any bus trips?

Old July 26th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Markku Grönroos

Default Singapore - 6 hrs to kill in airport- any bus trips?

Tchiowa kirjoitti:

So I cannot
tell for sure. However, I don't see ANY reason based on security
concerns, why this restriction had been introduced at Changi.

Hmmm. You don't see any reason why they would not want you flying
somewhere, then leaving the airport, possibly not returning, and
leaving luggage in the secure area in transit?

I must say I do not. Do you possibly mean that I could be a terrorist
carrying a nasty bomb in my luggage? If so:

1. If I acted as I have always done (and most other folks), I would be a
dishonest
terrorist not delivering the fact to the check in staff that I am a
moslem terrorist
carrying soon detonating explosives in my luggage which is residing
onboard or
in the luggage handling area. I can demonstrate my low character by
staying
in the transit area or by leaving it.

2. If I acted as I am obliged, I would tell the staff that I am a moslem
terrorist
carrying soon detonating explosives. After this announcement of mine,
my luggage would be sent to me so that I could store it any of the
public
luggage rooms in which to explode. Or perhaps in the transit area as you
suggest. Is there such an area at Changi ? I doubt that.

This should be somewhat unreliable practice in my opinion. This security
procedure of yours works only in the case of honest terrorists visiting
Singapore town and carrying a bomb with a fuse long enough (otherwise
the bomb might have blown up somewhere above the Pacific while
approaching Asia and Singapore). I assume you do not suggest anything
like that. Moreover, luggage is security checked at the airport of origin.

Moreover,
you say that one is ***obliged*** to do this and yet there are some
other chaps around who have said as their most recent experience that
this is not the case. It is easy to believe them. And it is very
difficult to believe you.

You have a hard time believing me because you've made a number of
wrong statements over time and I've proven you wrong. You particularly

You have proven something here ?

are offended by the fact that I pointed out some blatantly racist
statements you made (insulting remarks and name-calling of Jews,
remember?).

Ah! You are running out of arguments once again.
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Chris Blunt

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:42:51 GMT, "Mark Pannell"
wrote:

It is not the case!.I have done it numerous times on the way to different
destinations.

I regularly do this when I transit Hong Kong on a same-day connecting
flight. I leave the airport for a few hours to go downtown and return
to get my onward flight. I have never seen any rule saying this is not
allowed, and the airline staff are fully aware that I do it. Perhaps
this restriction only applies to Singapore.

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
. com...
Markku Grönroos wrote in message
Tchiowa kirjoitti:

allowed. If you have checked your baggage all the way through and then
decide to leave the airport you are obligated to inform the airline
and collect your baggage. If you want to leave it at a "left luggage"

I am convinced that this is not the case.

You can be "convinced" all you'd like. I know for a fact this is the
case.

Perhaps the airport authority
has questioned you for some reason and then you have reasoned this
misleading concept.

The airport authority in Singapore has never questioned me about this.
But I know people who have been stopped. And I checked with corporate
travel and they cited the rules.

I have flown to Changi only once (outbound 1 1/2
weeks before the bedouin attacks in the USA) and never afterwards and
during this one time the airport was the final post to me.

Rules changed after 9/11. There was a lot of sloppy enforcement of
security before then. Things have changed.

[...]

I don't recall a single person saying that he had bought a connecting
flight ticket, checked luggage through, left the airport at an
intermediate stop, and then was told "No Problem!". They may not have
been stopped, but they can be. And should be.

I have left the transit area many, many times like this

"many, many times"??? Interesting, since you just said that you
transited Singapore exactly ONCE!

Old July 27th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Markku Grönroos

wrote:

It is not the case!.I have done it numerous times on the way to different
destinations.

I regularly do this when I transit Hong Kong on a same-day connecting
flight. I leave the airport for a few hours to go downtown and return
to get my onward flight. I have never seen any rule saying this is not
allowed, and the airline staff are fully aware that I do it. Perhaps
this restriction only applies to Singapore.

It is one of those many tales this one chap tells here. What reason
there is to do so in the first place.

Old July 27th, 2004, 03:57 PM
th

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:13:59 +0800, Chris Blunt
wrote:

to get my onward flight. I have never seen any rule saying this is not
allowed, and the airline staff are fully aware that I do it. Perhaps
this restriction only applies to Singapore.

you will find that there are a million restrictions that apply only to
singapore (also known as "disneyland-with-the-death-penalty)

Old July 27th, 2004, 09:23 PM
RAK

wrote:

It is not the case!.I have done it numerous times on the way to

different
destinations.

I regularly do this when I transit Hong Kong on a same-day connecting
flight. I leave the airport for a few hours to go downtown and return
to get my onward flight. I have never seen any rule saying this is not
allowed, and the airline staff are fully aware that I do it. Perhaps
this restriction only applies to Singapore.

It is one of those many tales this one chap tells here. What reason
there is to do so in the first place.

I have done it too in Singapore, sometimes when changing airlines but with
baggage checked through.

The reason to do it is simple. For example I take a morning flight from
Jakarta to Singapore, go into town for a business meeting or lunch with
friends or just shopping, then catch an evening flight to London. Is that so
weird? Or do you think I am "telling tales" too?

Old July 28th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Markku Grönroos

wrote:

[...]

I don't know what you are talking about.