Las Vegas: Fat-friendly rides/dining/attractions?

Old March 31st, 2004, 09:56 AM
Babyo

Default Las Vegas: Fat-friendly rides/dining/attractions?

I'm traveling to Las Vegas with my husband in a couple of weeks (2nd week
of April). We're staying at the Las Vegas Hilton, and have plans to visit
Star Trek: The Experience for certain. Other plans are somewhat dependent
on answers to my questions here.
Background: I've been to Las Vegas many times, but all previous trips were
solo, and when I weighed only about 240 lbs. I'm now about 350 lbs, and my
knees and back don't work as well as they did back then. I'm ok standing
and walking as long as I have seating or something to lean against/sit on
frequently. When I went thru Star Trek: The Experience back then at 240
lbs, I was too big to connect the seat belts in the seats on the ride's
shuttlecraft. But I was able to get away with just not fastening it, and no
one said anything. I enjoyed the ride, even tho the seat arms pinched me a
bit. Again, that was about 100 lbs ago.

My husband is about 190 lbs, so size isn't a problem for him (nor does my
size bother him). But because this will be his first trip to Las Vegas, I
want to try to plan things so my physical limitations interfere with
activities as little as possible under the circumstances. Therefore, I'd
like to ask 3 things of anyone else who's found fat-friendly rides, etc in
Vegas.

1) Have any of you been thru the ride at Star Trek: The Experience lately?
Anyone have a problem getting in or on the ride? Any suggestions?

2) In Vegas itself, on the strip, are there any decent prime rib/seafood
restaurants that have secure comfortable chairs or booths with ample room
so I can be seated comfortably while dining?

3) Any other rides/attractions suggestions where my husband and I can go
that I'll be reasonably comfortable at? We only have 3 days/2 nights, so
I'd like to hit the highlights of Vegas for him if possible.

Any of your suggestions and tips for someone my size in Las Vegas would be
very helpful and VERY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Old March 31st, 2004, 01:14 PM
Nicholson's

"Babyo"
Any of your suggestions and tips for someone my size in Las Vegas would be
very helpful and VERY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Are you able to walk much?? If so, there are many different sights on the
strip that are enjoyable and give that first timer a look at the other side
of Vegas. (Mirage Dolphin Habitat, Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay, Eiffel Tower
at Paris).
Here are a few sites for you to go look over for suggestions.
http://www.lvol.com/
http://www.vegas4visitors.com/attract/attract.htm

Enjoy your trip!

Old March 31st, 2004, 06:03 PM
Lady Veteran

Old March 31st, 2004, 06:03 PM
DocTCW

Babyo wrote in message ...
I'm traveling to Las Vegas with my husband in a couple of weeks

I really can't answer your questions except to say that Vegas is a
VERY accomodating town.

What I would like to interject is how brave you are to have made the
post. My hat is off to you, seriously.

Please have a blast!!

Tom
Old March 31st, 2004, 06:49 PM
billb

I really can't answer your questions except to say that Vegas is a
VERY accomodating town.

he's right. if you're spending big money, they'll put up with you no
matter how fat you are.

--
billb

Old March 31st, 2004, 07:44 PM
Jill in NH

"Babyo" wrote in message
[...]

I know that airlines have these extension belt things that clip into the
reg. size seatbelts ...maybe Star Trek might have the same type of thing??
Worth asking about.

How about checking into a motorized scooter of some kind?

[How refreshing to hear from someone who is so open about their size.]

Have a great time!

jill in NH

Old March 31st, 2004, 08:56 PM
Margaret Fine

Babyo wrote:
[...]

I would call ahead to some of the attractions you want to do (like ST)
and ask about seat belt extender use. If you don't already have your own
I'd consider buying one. This is something attractions must deal with on
an almost daily basis and they should be able to tell you if you can use
one.

I'd also consider a scooter. You can usually rent them and they'll
deliver and pick up right from the hotel. You see all sorts of people
on scooters in Vegas and you'll be able to enjoy yourself so much more
without hurting all the time!!

If you have time to go outside of Vegas, consider doing a trip to Red
Rock Canyon. It is beautiful out there and you can do a driving trip
and enjoy all the beauty without even leaving the car once.

I hope you do a trip report and let us know how you find Vegas to be as
a person with physical limitations. Whether it is weight related
issues, health or age at some point we all face some kind of limitation
and your input and insights may help someone else down the road.

--
Margaret Fine

Old March 31st, 2004, 11:00 PM
moremore

On 31 Mar 2004, Babyo wrote:
[...]

Instead of looking for more rides where you just park your lazy fat ass
dreaming of the all you can eat buffets at the end of the line, why not try
eating less and exercising more? I mean you've already gained over 100
pounds and it isn't going to stop there. Pretty soon you'll have to use
the cherry picker to move around.

HTH

S*nort