Two weeks in Japan

Old August 19th, 2004, 10:25 AM
abcd

Default Two weeks in Japan

Hi all,

I've just been told that I'm about to leave to Japan! I've got a
business meeting to go to in Kyoto, and since I've never visited Japan
before I decided to take quite a few additional days off for a total
of about a fortnight. Due to the short notice I haven't had time yet
to buy guidebooks and stuff, which I'm doing ASAP. In the meantime I'd
appreciate any and all advice as to places to visit. Some general
hints:
- Trip will take place approx during the first two weeks of
September
- I'm flying into/from Tokyo-Narita
- I'm not on an overly tight budget but I don't want to spoil myself
either
- My only compulsory destination is Kyoto where I have to spend a few
(2 to 4) days anyway
- Given the limited timeframe my preference lies with culture rather
than nature. This is a sad choice as I'd love to do both but I
definitely don't think I can embark on a mountain hike (which I'd
love to do BTW) in such a short time
- I definitely don't want a car, also given the world-famous Japanese
rail services
- I adore Japanese cuisine (particularly sushi), so any food-related
advice is specially welcome
- Someone told me about "ryokans" (sp?) and if I understand correctly
what they are all about, I'd love to stay there. Any suggestions?

I think that's all for the moment. Thanks very much in advance,
andy
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:57 PM
IIJIMA Hiromitsu

Hi andy,

I'm adding fj.life.in-japan, where there are many English-speakers living
in Japan, in the Newsgroups: listing.

- I'm flying into/from Tokyo-Narita

- My only compulsory destination is Kyoto where I have to spend a few
(2 to 4) days anyway

- I definitely don't want a car, also given the world-famous Japanese
rail services

Be sure to order a Japan Rail Pass, if you satisfy the requirement for it.
http://www.japanrailpass.net.

- Someone told me about "ryokans" (sp?) and if I understand correctly
what they are all about, I'd love to stay there. Any suggestions?

Ryokan is Japanese-styled inns, with tatami, yukata, and Japanese foods.
You can, of course, order sushi at ryokan.

Since most ryokans in Kyoto are designed for sightseers, not for business-
men, you may suffer some handicaps like:
- they can be a little more expensive than cheap hotels
- you may be away from internet access, though there are many
internet cafes in Kyoto
- they may not have English-speaking clerks, though it is rare
in international tourist sites like Kyoto.

Be sure to arrange carefully with your travel agent about where to stay.

(Mr.) IIJIMA Hiromitsu,
aka Delmonta http://www.ht.sakura.ne.jp/~delmonta/

Old August 19th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Gerry

In article , abcd
wrote:

Due to the short notice I haven't had time yet
to buy guidebooks and stuff, which I'm doing ASAP. In the meantime I'd
appreciate any and all advice as to places to visit. Some general
hints:

Most of the stuff below isn't requests for advice or information.

Get Frommer's Japan book. Read it and consider their "if you only have
(1/2/4) days agendas). If you have specific questions after a fast
read, pose them here.

Generic:

Japan rail pass is great and can get you where you want to go for no
additional fees. But bear in mind that checking out of a hotel, going
to the train station, waiting for the train, taking the train, going to
a hotel/ryokan, checking in and leaving to see the sights--that can
take 3-5 hours.

I assume a day can be broken into 3 such units. And consider a day in
which I am *already* in a town to have 3 such units for sightseeing
hiking, short-distance day trips and so forth. If you have a few weeks
you should be able to cover a number of areas such as Kyushu, Kansai,
the "Japanese Alps" as so forth. But discount the coming and going
from your overall time.

Get a phrase book and rapidly learn the restaurant navigation parts.
It won't take long and provides immeasurable diplomatic value. When
selecting restaurants as you amble, be brave! Many will have a little
English in a posted menu, or the plastic food. If you're famished, go
for it. But if you can see that the next joing has neither English nor
plastic, take a chance! I've rarely had problems that way, but I can
muster the necessary food-ordering business.

Sushi can be expensive some places, but there are lots of other
wonderful foods to be found there.

Most larger towns have tourism services in the train stations. They
can help you find a ryokan at a price and locality that suits your
needs. It can be scary for the uninitiated to go to a town without a
reservation, but I've never had a problem.

And so forth.

--
Invest wisely: Over the past 75 years, stocks have averaged annual gains of 2.3
percent under GOP administrations, compared with 9.5 under Democratic ones.

Old August 19th, 2004, 04:57 PM
John W.

(abcd) wrote in message om...
Hi all,

I've just been told that I'm about to leave to Japan! I've got a
business meeting to go to in Kyoto, and since I've never visited Japan
before I decided to take quite a few additional days off for a total
of about a fortnight. Due to the short notice I haven't had time yet
to buy guidebooks and stuff, which I'm doing ASAP. In the meantime I'd
appreciate any and all advice as to places to visit. Some general
hints:
- Trip will take place approx during the first two weeks of
September

Great time of year to visit. Might be hot, though.

- I'm flying into/from Tokyo-Narita

Out of curiosity, if your meeting is in Kyoto, why are you flying into
Tokyo, three hours away?

- I'm not on an overly tight budget but I don't want to spoil myself
either
- My only compulsory destination is Kyoto where I have to spend a few
(2 to 4) days anyway

What's your meeting schedule in Kyoto? Are there any plans associated
with the meeting that would prevent you from doing some stuff in the
early morning or early/late evening? Also, where will you be staying
(Kyoto, Osaka, etc.)? I've found that in Kyoto in particular a lot can
be seen walking around in the morning. You might not get to the main
temples/shrines, but certainly some of them should be possible. And
that will free up some time for you later when you have true days off.

- Given the limited timeframe my preference lies with culture rather
than nature. This is a sad choice as I'd love to do both but I
definitely don't think I can embark on a mountain hike (which I'd
love to do BTW) in such a short time

Visit Mt. Koya and you'll get both. Good hiking, good temples, good
onsen, good ryokan. Also, as an alternative when you're in Himeji (and
you should schedule that as part of your trip; great castle) you could
visit Mt. Shosa and the temple complex there. You can hike up to it
fairly easily. Also in Himeji you can do a short walk to Otokoyama and
the Senhime shrine, which is a bit unspectacular but gives a chance to
really stretch your legs (see my posts on this topic in this
newsgroup) and see a side of Japan a lot of people miss.

Another fairly easy walk is in Kobe. Probably Kobe won't be on your
itinerary, but you might consider staying in the Shin Kobe Oriental
Hotel. I've never stayed there myself (used to live next door, though)
but I've heard some of the rooms have spectacular views. There are
also good restaurants in that part of Kobe, some of the best in the
area. The hotel is next to the Shin Kobe Shinkansen station, which is
also a launching point for a short hike to Nunobiki Waterfall and a
small overlook (I've got a long post on this as well recently). It's
no more than an hour hike, but the view is nice and refreshing. But
probably not worth a special trip.

- I definitely don't want a car, also given the world-famous Japanese
rail services
- I adore Japanese cuisine (particularly sushi), so any food-related
advice is specially welcome

I don't have any specific recommendations for food except for good
places in Kobe (mentioned above; if you're staying there ask the hotel
concierge) and a good Oden (traditional cuisine) restaurant in Himeji.
I don't remember the name (learn the hiragana for Oden; I think that's
all that's on the sign), but I can give you directions if interested
(I've already been a touch too verbose, so email me and I'll send them
to you, along with a map).

- Someone told me about "ryokans" (sp?) and if I understand correctly
what they are all about, I'd love to stay there. Any suggestions?

A Ryokan is simply an inn. Some are traditional, some aren't; like
anything the name gets applied a bit liberally at times. Depending on
where you go they can be expensive. A lot also have onsen on site. If
you want to travel a bit out of the way you might consider spending a
night in Kinosaki in northern Hyogo prefecture. Around three hours
from Kyoto, about the same from Himeji. Might make a good place to
stay for a night then head on to Himeji from there. I like the feel of
the town; it's small, in the middle of nowhere, and has some excellent
baths. Others will probably chime in with their favorites.

You should invest in a rail pass. If you're staying primarily in the
Kansai (Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, etc.) area, JR West has a Kansai area pass
that might be a better deal than a full rail pass. However, if you're
company is flying you into Tokyo you might talk them into getting the
full JR Pass (one trip to/from Tokyo makes it worthwhile) under the
guise of really saving the company money (which it probably will).

One site for planning rail travel that you might need is Hyperdia:

www.hyperdia.co.jp/cgi-english

I've been verbose; hope it helps.

John W.

Old August 19th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Bob Myers

"abcd" wrote in message
m...
Hi all,

I've just been told that I'm about to leave to Japan! I've got a
business meeting to go to in Kyoto, and since I've never visited Japan
before I decided to take quite a few additional days off for a total
of about a fortnight. Due to the short notice I haven't had time yet
to buy guidebooks and stuff, which I'm doing ASAP. In the meantime I'd
appreciate any and all advice as to places to visit. Some general
hints:

First, congrats! I'm sure you're going to enjoy this trip. A couple
of general comments, though, right up front:

- Trip will take place approx during the first two weeks of
September
- I'm flying into/from Tokyo-Narita

As was already asked, why Tokyo? Kansai International, the
new Osaka-area airport, would be much more convenient for
this, and would be my personal preference just in terms of the
airport facilities as well. Narita isn't even convenient to
Tokyo itself (it's a fairly long train or bus ride into the city, and
it's definitely on the wrong side of Tokyo if Kyoto is your
final destination.) To get to Kyoto from Tokyo, you would
first have to take the Narita Express train to Tokyo station, then
change to the shinkansen (bullet train). Not convenient, especially
if you were to happen to hit Tokyo station at rush hour. Kansai,
on the other hand, has incredibly convenient trains directly to Kyoto.

- I'm not on an overly tight budget but I don't want to spoil myself
either
- My only compulsory destination is Kyoto where I have to spend a few
(2 to 4) days anyway

First, re the business end of your trip, do you know where in Kyoto
you will need to be? My personal preference for "business"
accomodations there is the Hotel Granvia, which is literally within
the main Kyoto railroad station complex, and so both incredibly
easy to find once you get there and conveniently located for
access to the rest of the city and region. (The Kyoto subway
line passes under Kyoto station, and you can also easily get
onto the bus system or travel by taxi from there. There are
also lots of choices for dining in and around the station complex.)

- Given the limited timeframe my preference lies with culture rather
than nature. This is a sad choice as I'd love to do both but I
definitely don't think I can embark on a mountain hike (which I'd
love to do BTW) in such a short time

Fortunately, in Kyoto, you don't really need to chose between
the two. It is a major cultural center but also located in a valley
and surrounded by hills and small mountains. You can easily get
to trails, etc., in the surrounding countryside. Also, a number of
the standard "walking tours" of Kyoto will take you along very
nice tree-lined paths, particularly as you tour the temples and
shrines on the city's east and north sides.

I would strongly recommend taking the time to pick up a guide
book, or you're going to miss SOMETHING for sure. Lonely
Planet has an excellent book on Kyoto itself, in addition to their
book on Japan. There is also an excellent tourist information
center, with a very helpful English-speaking staff, just a couple
of blocks north of Kyoto Station on Karasuma-dori, one of the
main north-south streets (and the one the north-south subway
line runs under). You can pick up a lot of information there,
including a very good city map; it's run by JNTO, the Japan
National Tourist Organization. Also, be SURE to visit the
JNTO web site, at

http://www.jnto.go.jp/

before you leave.

Having said that, the usual list of "must sees" for the tourist
in Kyoto would have to include:

- Nijo Castle
- The Gion district (with too many individual sights to mention)
- Keiomizu-dera (temple)
- Kinkakuji Temple (the "Golden Pavilion")
- All of the temples, shrines, etc. (and esp. Ginkakuji)
along the "Philosopher's Walk" (Tetsu-gaku no michi) on the
eastern side of the city.
- The Nishikikoji-dori food market, and the covered shopping
area in this vicinity
- The Kyoto Imperial Palace grounds

There is also a popular destination for the tour-bus operators called
the "Kyoto Handicraft Center", which is a five-or-six story building
which basically houses a mini-shopping mall; each floor is operated
by one or two dealers selling various Japanese crafts, etc.. The
items range from the purest of touristy junk to some fairly nice
pieces; prices are often high compared to what you could find
elsewhere, but it has the advantage of convenience and, again, a
staff with good English-language skills. If you go there, you'll
very quickly see what I mean, and can then decide for yourself if
you want to stick around or ever return. I have to admit that I've
shopped there several time, always due to the convenience factor
(i.e., I'm only in town for a short time, and have to pick up several
items quickly as souvenirs for family and friends).

- I definitely don't want a car, also given the world-famous Japanese
rail services

Right! By the way, another helpful web site which can assist you
with planning train travel across Japan is:

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/

And then there's the Japan Railways site:

http://www.japanrail.com/

As you said, the rail services are world-famous. The train
WILL be on time (or else the president of Japan Rail is likely
to resign the next morning! :-)), it will be clean, etc.. However,
except for the long-distance lines such as the shinkansen, don't
expect much in the way of a place for your luggage. There
may be a tiny overhead shelf for carry-on sorts of bags, and
that may be it. Also, when traveling by rail, don't pass up the
opportunity to enjoy an "eki-ben", the prepackaged box lunches
that are almost always available at the train stations. Those
from the larger stations can seem pretty much the same everywhere,
but you will still see some local specialities esp. in the smaller
places. It won't be the best food you have in Japan, but this is
more a "do it for the experience" sort of thing.

- I adore Japanese cuisine (particularly sushi), so any food-related
advice is specially welcome

You practically can't go wrong in Kyoto. You will be able to find
pretty much anything in the way of Japanese cuisine, and even a
fair number of restaurants offering various Western cuisines if you
get tired of Japanese food (not too likely, but you never know!).
There's a high concentration of restaurants along Kawaramachi-dori,
a north-south street along the eastern edge of the downtown area,
or rather between that street and the Kamo river. Another good
bet for both dining and culture is in the Gion district (which is the old
geisha and entertainment district of Kyoto, and which still has several
active geisha houses), directly across the river on Shijo-dori. If, for
some reason, you just don't feel like going out some evening, there
are a number of eating establishments in the shopping mall underneath
Kyoto station - not the best places in town, but they're certainly
convenient.

Another general word of advice re dining in Japan - there will very
often be a floor or two of restaurants at the top of major department
store buildings, plus a "food court" (think of something like a cross
between a supermarket and a large number of individual shops,
something like delis or bakeries, etc.) in the basement levels. This
can also be a convenient way to find a place to eat - again, not
always the best in town, but these places near the major shopping
areas and stores may often be more used to dealing with foreigners
who don't speak Japanese. You also will come to appreciate the
fact that many restaurants in Japan display almost their full menus in
the form of plastic food displays in a case out front - if need be, you
can always take your waitperson there and simply point to what
you want!

- Someone told me about "ryokans" (sp?) and if I understand correctly
what they are all about, I'd love to stay there. Any suggestions?

Well, if you understand that these are Japanese-style inns, then
you know basically what they're all about. Some are more
suited than others to the foreign visitor; the others may in
some cases not be very accomodating to Westerners at all,
at least if you don't speak the language. JNTO (see above) can
be a very helpful resource here.

With two weeks in Japan, you will likely want to get out of
Kyoto proper at least for a few days. Osaka has some
interesting sights of its own, but it IS really just a big
industrial city. In terms of tourist attractions, I would probably
suggest Tokyo instead, and that would give you a reason to
enjoy the shinkansen, see Mt. Fuji on the way (and possibly
stop and visit some places in the Fuji area, or Kamakura).
One CAN easily spend two weeks in and around Kyoto, but
especially if you're not expecting to get back to Japan in the
near future, I would suggest at least a couple of days to see
what Tokyo has to offer.

Bob M.

Old August 20th, 2004, 03:00 AM
Iceman

I've just been told that I'm about to leave to Japan! I've got a
business meeting to go to in Kyoto, and since I've never visited Japan
before I decided to take quite a few additional days off for a total
of about a fortnight. Due to the short notice I haven't had time yet
to buy guidebooks and stuff, which I'm doing ASAP. In the meantime I'd
appreciate any and all advice as to places to visit. Some general
hints:
- Trip will take place approx during the first two weeks of
September
- I'm flying into/from Tokyo-Narita

Narita airport is about ninety minutes to two hours from the main
parts of Tokyo, so make sure you leave for the airport well in advance
and don't schedule any tight connections.

- I'm not on an overly tight budget but I don't want to spoil myself
either

Avoid taxis, make sure you know the price of a restaurant before you
go inside, and make sure you arrange cheap accomodation in advance.
Bars and clubs are very expensive in Tokyo - US $7-9 per drink is
standard even in crappy-looking bars, and club covers of US $25-30 are
not uncommon.

- My only compulsory destination is Kyoto where I have to spend a few
(2 to 4) days anyway

Spend five days in Tokyo, two in Kanazawa, and the rest in Kyoto
(including your business meeting and day trips to Nara and Himeji).

- Given the limited timeframe my preference lies with culture rather
than nature. This is a sad choice as I'd love to do both but I
definitely don't think I can embark on a mountain hike (which I'd
love to do BTW) in such a short time
- I definitely don't want a car, also given the world-famous Japanese
rail services

Definitely don't rent a car - they're very expensive, parking and
traffic are a nightmare, and gasoline and tolls are also very
expensive.

You might consider a Japan rail pass.

- I adore Japanese cuisine (particularly sushi), so any food-related
advice is specially welcome

Restaurants in Japan tend to specialize in one specific type of food
rather than having several types of Japanese food like Japanese
restaurants in the US. Besides sushi, some other types you might want
to try a

-tempura (seafood and vegetables dipped in a light, flaky batter)
-sukiyaki (thin strips of beef, sometimes Kobe beef, dipped in a sweet
sauce)
-yakitori (Japanese grilled chicken)
-kaiseki (Japanese traditional cuisine consisting of 10+ tiny courses,
mostly vegetarian)

Kyoto, Kanazawa, and Nagasaki are each known for their distinctive
regional versions of kaiseki. Nagasaki had a long history of trading
with the Portuguese, Dutch, and Chinese, and its cuisine absorbed many
influences from those cultures.

- Someone told me about "ryokans" (sp?) and if I understand correctly
what they are all about, I'd love to stay there. Any suggestions?

Japanese traditional inns.