Two weeks in Japan

Old August 21st, 2004, 09:28 AM
Guus Veldhuis

Thanks for this info, I did not know this but I could connect my ibm laptop
directly without problem (maybe because it is japanes) and on my convertor I
used my shaving and battery loader and telephone and they all worked fine.

--
Bye Guus

Webpage http://guus.dse.nl/ Weblog http://zapguz.dse.nl/ Photosite
http://zapfoto.dse.nl/ E-mail
icq 15582630 msn as
New and you can join too
http://www.blurryimage.com/user/zapguz
"Bob Myers" schreef in bericht

"Guus Veldhuis" wrote in message
be able to experiment with it before you leave. Take also an electric
converter with you ,because they use 110/120 volts and in that way you

can
recharge your batteries.

Good advice, but just to clarify Japan does NOT use 110/120 VAC;
the Japanese line voltage standard is 100 VAC (which I believe is
unique, or nearly so), and another power oddity is that the country
is split between 50 Hz and 60 Hz sections. The northern/eastern portion
of the country (from a line just south of Yokohama) is 50 Hz, while the
southern/western (including Osaka and Kyoto) uses 60 Hz. Not
usually a problem for most chargers, etc., but some electrical
equipment (notably, simple electric clocks) will work properly in
one part but not the other.

Bob M.

You will have a smashing time because there are so
many contradictions and most people are very friendly and helpfull. I

stayed
3 weeks in the Kyoto area at a girlfriends house and I will go back end

of
December. You can read my story about it in my weblog, starting around

first
of July. Good luck and tell me what work are you gonna do there and do

they
need a crazy Dutchman, because I want to start living there from may

next
year in a little part of Osaka called Takatsuki. I had enough of Europe.

--
Bye Guus

Webpage http://guus.dse.nl/ Weblog http://zapguz.dse.nl/ Photosite
http://zapfoto.dse.nl/ E-mail
icq 15582630 msn as
New and you can join too
http://www.blurryimage.com/user/zapguz
"abcd" schreef in bericht
m...
Thanks very much everyone for your answers.

I'm flying into Narita because that's what I was instructed to do.
Erroneously apparently... Anyway the flight is confirmed and payed for
by now so there's not much I can do. My working days in Kyoto will be
full-time, so I'll have no time for anything else. But I'll spend some
additional days there after the meetings.

I bought a couple of guidebooks in the meantime which, along with your
comments, should get me going. I've got just another issue, and it's a
recurrent one: I have to buy a digital camera... I searched the Web
and these NGs but I wasn't able to find any recent postings/articles
about the subject. My preference (after some research) lies with the
Nikon Coolpix 5200 or something similar. Does anyone have a clue as to
whether it's cheaper in Japan or in Europe? Of course also considering
warranty, assistance, etc.

Thanks very much again,
andy

Old August 21st, 2004, 02:00 PM
Steve Kramer

IIJIMA Hiromitsu wrote:
Yes, Narita really IS that inconvenient
if Kyoto is your destination; KIX is greatly preferable.

Actually, I think you'll find that you can get from Narita to Kyoto via
the Shinkansen faster than you can get from KIX via either the bus or
the combination of trains, depending on the time of day, even though the
distance is double. Getting to and from KIX is a real pain!

Not always so.

Correct. Not always so. Which is why I didn't say it was 'always so.'
That is why I added the phrase "depending on the time of day." I should
have also added 'depending on the part of Osaka or Kyoto that you wish
to get to or start from, but I didn't think that a lawyer would be
responding.

When you get to KIX, then you'll just ride JR's express "Haruka" going to
Shin-Osaka and Kyoto directly. The express just takes 75 minutes to Kyoto.

That's wonderful if you are going to kita Osaka or downtown Kyoto. But
not if you are going to Sakai, Uji, or Yawata. Kyoto isn't just Kyoto
Station either. All these areas are very large, and there are many ways
to travel that work well for one area but not as well for another. But
then, you know that.

Steve Kramer
Chiang Mai, Thailand
http://www.photoenvisions.com

--
"The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons,
but in seeing with new eyes." - Marcel Proust

Old August 21st, 2004, 02:30 PM
mn

"Steve Kramer" wrote in message

Actually, I think you'll find that you can get from Narita to Kyoto via
the Shinkansen faster than you can get from KIX via either the bus or
the combination of trains, depending on the time of day, even though the
distance is double. Getting to and from KIX is a real pain!

Narita to Tokyo via Narita Express (quickest) is one hour. Shinkansen Nozomi
(quickest) from Tokyo to Kyoto takes 2hrs 20min. So I guess you are looking
at minimum 4 hours to get from Narita to Kyoto. But you can do KIX-Kyoto in
less than 2 hrs (see http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/).

+++

Old August 21st, 2004, 06:28 PM
Gerry

In article , PeterL
wrote:

"abcd" wrote in message
m...

I bought a couple of guidebooks in the meantime which, along with your
comments, should get me going. I've got just another issue, and it's a
recurrent one: I have to buy a digital camera... I searched the Web
and these NGs but I wasn't able to find any recent postings/articles
about the subject. My preference (after some research) lies with the
Nikon Coolpix 5200 or something similar. Does anyone have a clue as to
whether it's cheaper in Japan or in Europe? Of course also considering
warranty, assistance, etc.

Thanks very much again,
andy

My general advice is to buy one where you are now. That way you'd have
warranty and time to familiarize yourself with the operation. I would buy
something at the 3 to 4 mgp range, light weight and uses AA batteries. That
way you can buy batteries practically all over the world, and not worry
about recharging proprietory batteries.

Also you have a better chance of getting a manual in a language you can
read. I bought a Canon PowerShot s230 (aka ELPH) that has been a
delight in all respects.

--
Invest wisely: Over the past 75 years, stocks have averaged annual gains of 2.3
percent under GOP administrations, compared with 9.5 under Democratic ones.

Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:11 AM
Kevin Gowen

Gerry wrote:

Invest wisely: Over the past 75 years, stocks have averaged annual
gains of 2.3 percent under GOP administrations, compared with 9.5
under Democratic ones.
-- Jerry Heaster

In that case, we must vote GOP to keep those greedy fat cats from
getting rich from their investments. People who profit from stocks don't
do anything productive. They just sit home and let the money roll in,
money which is stolen from poor people. This is why we must repeal
Bush's tax cuts on capital gains.

- Kevin
Old August 22nd, 2004, 05:24 AM
John W.

"Guus Veldhuis" wrote in message ...
I felt in love with a girl which live in Takatsuki, that's why I want to
live there.

Works for me! Figured something along those lines; I can relate.

John W.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:12 AM
David

In (abcd) writes:

Thanks very much everyone for your answers.

I'm flying into Narita because that's what I was instructed to do.
Erroneously apparently... Anyway the flight is confirmed and payed for
by now so there's not much I can do. My working days in Kyoto will be
full-time, so I'll have no time for anything else. But I'll spend some
additional days there after the meetings.

Narita express is 75 minutes to downtown, Skyliner is a bit slower but
cheaper, best choice probably depends on where you're staying in Tokyo.

Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto is less than 3 hours, and a good chance to
see Fujisan to the north about 40? minutes out of Tokyo. I still remember
looking up from my book and ... Wow! Himeji castle and Miyajima temple
(on an island near Hiroshima) are must sees, you could do both in a day
from Kyoto if you get up early. Advertise for a pretty Japanese from
Osaka or Kyoto to be your tour guide (seriously!)

I bought a couple of guidebooks in the meantime which, along with your
comments, should get me going. I've got just another issue, and it's a
recurrent one: I have to buy a digital camera... I searched the Web
and these NGs but I wasn't able to find any recent postings/articles
about the subject. My preference (after some research) lies with the
Nikon Coolpix 5200 or something similar. Does anyone have a clue as to
whether it's cheaper in Japan or in Europe? Of course also considering
warranty, assistance, etc.

Digicams in Akihabara are probably cheaper than Europe, especially if you
shop around and haggle. Make sure you get one that has English menus,
and TV out that matches your TV system. Some shops specialize in
international rather than domestic models. There's lots of webpages to
browse, start with a serach for Akihabara+digicam etc. Here's the model
I think you want at Yodobashi (huge camera store) for Y40,300, you can
probably do better than that.

http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/i/22576688.html

Thanks very much again,
andy

Have a fantastic time,
David
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:26 AM
David Kinny

In "Bob Myers" writes:

"abcd" wrote in message
om...

I'm flying into Narita because that's what I was instructed to do.
Erroneously apparently... Anyway the flight is confirmed and payed for
by now so there's not much I can do.

It still might not be too late to change; you may wish to
check with whoever is arranging your travel. Especially
if you're starting your work in Kyoto immediately upon
arrival - I certainly wouldn't want to have to show up
to a meeting or whatever after just arriving in Narita and
THEN following that up with the train trip you'll need to
get to Kyoto. Yes, Narita really IS that inconvenient
if Kyoto is your destination; KIX is greatly preferable.

Not if he wants to see Tokyo, which is likely. I've done it both ways
many times, and if you've got a JR pass or on company expenses it's really
not a big deal to take the shinkansen to Kyoto. KIX to Kyoto is more than
an hour. Of course, the optimal routing would probably be in to Narita,
3 days in Tokyo to get over the jetlag, find the camera, ... then work in
Kyoto, then a week of touring, Kanazawa, Osaka, Himeji, Hiroshima, ...
then exit from KIX.

BTW, if you do go to Kanazawa (to see the Kenrokuen garden!) spend a night
at Yamanaka onsen about 20? miles south ... book in to just about any onsen
hotel there and they'll collect you by car from the station .... again a
pretty tour guide would be a real advantage here.

I bought a couple of guidebooks in the meantime which, along with your
comments, should get me going. I've got just another issue, and it's a
recurrent one: I have to buy a digital camera... I searched the Web
and these NGs but I wasn't able to find any recent postings/articles
about the subject. My preference (after some research) lies with the
Nikon Coolpix 5200 or something similar. Does anyone have a clue as to
whether it's cheaper in Japan or in Europe? Of course also considering
warranty, assistance, etc.

Buy before you leave; it's very unlikely that it will be
less expensive in Japan, and this way you'll have a chance
to familiarize yourself with the camera before you leave.
Besides, all documentation, etc., that comes with the camera
in Japan may be in Japanese only.

I suspect considerably cheaper if you don't want the latest model, as
Japanese stores tend to deeply discount older models. Shop around.
International models of japanese cameras are available there and
have English user manuals.

Bob M.

David