Bangkok or Hongkong

Old February 4th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Kris

Default Bangkok or Hongkong

Again, definately Hong Kong. Flight arrival time is perfect. In BKK
you'll spend most of your time stuck in traffic that time of day.

In Hong Kong you'll have passed immigration at 7:00 am, boarded the
Airport Express at 7:10 am, arrive in Central at 7:55 am, sip a coffee
in Pacific Coffee in IFC2 mall at 8:05 am and head into the city at
8:15 am

Kris

In Hongkong - my flight arrives at 6:30 am and leaves at 5:30 pm
In Bangkok - my flight arrives at 10:50 am and leaves at 8:00 pm

So, I'll have around 9 hrs to see Hongkong and 7 hours to see Bangkok.

Old February 4th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Sandy Cruden

"Kris" wrote in message
Again, definately Hong Kong. Flight arrival time is perfect. In BKK
you'll spend most of your time stuck in traffic that time of day.

In Hong Kong you'll have passed immigration at 7:00 am, boarded the
Airport Express at 7:10 am, arrive in Central at 7:55 am, sip a coffee
in Pacific Coffee in IFC2 mall at 8:05 am and head into the city at
8:15 am

In Hongkong - my flight arrives at 6:30 am and leaves at 5:30 pm
In Bangkok - my flight arrives at 10:50 am and leaves at 8:00 pm

I live and drive in Bangkok and I believe Bangkok is a more interesting and
exciting city, but I have to agree that on this occasion Hong
Kong would probably
be the best option for you. . You have to allow at *least* 30 mins to
disembark and clear immigration(30 days tourist visa on arrival at the
immigration desk, no fee) and another hour or possibly more to get
into town and
see anything of the major tourist attractions the other poster mentioned.
Bangkok is unpredictable when it comes to getting around the city and the
traffic can be horrendous from
3.30pm onwards, especially on Fridays. You would have to be back at the
airport, say at 7 pm this would mean leaving the city at least two hours
before that to ensure that you are not a nervous wreck watching the clock as
your departure
time approaches. Bangkok only becomes an option for you if it happens to be
a Sunday.

However..... one option for you if you decide to make it Bangkok, is to get
a taxi from the airport (specify via the tollway, you pay the toll) to the
Sukhumvit road exit ramp, get the taxi driver to turn left when he gets to
Sukhumvit and get out at Soi 1 right there. This part of Sukhumvit road is
very cosmopolitan and lively on both sides, market stalls, 5 star hotels,
beer bars, massage parlours, restaurants, (have a drink and spend some time
at the Soi 7 German beer garden if you are broadminded), department stores,
and more, all there within 20 minutes stroll. The skytrain, fast clean and
easy to use, is also right
there if you want to venture a bit further. Plenty of other western tourists
around there as well, and, importantly, very close to the freeway for a
quick taxi ride back to the airport, You should retrace your steps close to
Soi 1 and the entry/exit ramp to the freeway where you got out of the taxi,
and get in another one there,once again tell the driver to go to the airport
via the tollway, you would be back at the airport in around 30 mins or
less.You would have to pay 500 baht departure tax at the booths in the
departures hall.

Sandy
Huay Khwaang
Bangkok

Old February 4th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Kris

I agree with you Bangkok of course is more exciting than Hong Kong for
a short visit. However, given the very short time the original poster
will have and the arrival times, I'd go for Hong Kong.

Kris

Old February 4th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Kris

....and also the convenience too, HK after all is a little easier to
get around than BKK (wouldn't want to be dumped in the center of BKK
on my first-time visit for six hours and HAVE to get back to the
airport in time)

Kris

Old February 4th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Sandy Cruden

"Kris" wrote in message
...and also the convenience too, HK after all is a little easier to
get around than BKK (wouldn't want to be dumped in the center of BKK
on my first-time visit for six hours and HAVE to get back to the
airport in time)

Kris

Yes Kris, but the BKK Sukhumvit Rd option would be no problem, the key to it
being it is very close to the freeway and tollway to the airport. That part
of town is very interesting for a first time visitor.

Old February 4th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Ruchika

Kris wrote in message . ..
...and also the convenience too, HK after all is a little easier to
get around than BKK (wouldn't want to be dumped in the center of BKK
on my first-time visit for six hours and HAVE to get back to the
airport in time)

Kris

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 12:38:14 +0100, Kris wrote:

I agree with you Bangkok of course is more exciting than Hong Kong for
a short visit. However, given the very short time the original poster
will have and the arrival times, I'd go for Hong Kong.

Kris

I forgot to mention the arrival day .. its 22nd Jan and its a Sunday
... are Hongkong and Bangkok as crowded on Sundays as on weekdays? Are
some of these attractions closed on Sundays .. Or do these cities have
some special events on Sundays?
I am more interested in going to Bagkok and want to see "The Grand
Palace" .. read so many good reviews about it. Would it be possible to
see Grand Palace on Sunday in the amount of time I have in the city?
Will I have time left to see anything else? Does it make more sense to
take a city tour in Bangkok?
I understand that its very easy to get around in Hongkong but the
reason I am not very interested in going to Hongkong is because I have
lived in the US for 3 years. And am not sure how different Hongkong is
from the US? Am I wrong in thinking this way?
Old February 4th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Peter L

"Ruchika" wrote in message
m...
"Peter L" wrote in message

"Ruchika" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have to book a ticket to India and the two options that I have are
either to go thru Bangkok or thru Hongkong.. Thru Hongkong, there is a
stopover of 10 hrs in Hongkong and thru Bangkok the stopover is approx
7 hours.. If I were to go see the city, any suggestions on which
route would be better considering the amount of time I have to see the
city? Does anyone know if I'll need a visa to get out of the airport
at both these places? What places are worth visiting at these two
places?

What times of the day will you be getting into either cities? I think

that
has a major impact on which one.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the responses.

In Hongkong - my flight arrives at 6:30 am and leaves at 5:30 pm
In Bangkok - my flight arrives at 10:50 am and leaves at 8:00 pm

So, I'll have around 9 hrs to see Hongkong and 7 hours to see Bangkok.

I agree with other posters about HK. You arrive early enough to get into
town, and get up to the Peak for a breakfast. The city don't wake up until
about 11:00 am. So you can get back down from the Peak around lunch time
and walk around different parts. Get back to the airport by 4:00 or so.

Old February 4th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Peter L

"Ruchika" wrote in message
om...
Kris wrote in message

. ..
...and also the convenience too, HK after all is a little easier to
get around than BKK (wouldn't want to be dumped in the center of BKK
on my first-time visit for six hours and HAVE to get back to the
airport in time)

Kris

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 12:38:14 +0100, Kris wrote:

I agree with you Bangkok of course is more exciting than Hong Kong for
a short visit. However, given the very short time the original poster
will have and the arrival times, I'd go for Hong Kong.

Kris

I forgot to mention the arrival day .. its 22nd Jan and its a Sunday
.. are Hongkong and Bangkok as crowded on Sundays as on weekdays? Are
some of these attractions closed on Sundays .. Or do these cities have
some special events on Sundays?

In HK the business offices would be closed. So Central would be "quiet",
except for the tens of thousands of Philipino maids having their one day
off. But the shops and restaurants will all be open. Again, they don't
wake up until about 11:00 am.

Old February 4th, 2004, 08:02 PM
David

(Ruchika) wrote in message om...
"Peter L" wrote in message ...
"Ruchika" wrote in message
[...]

By the time you get through immigration (arrival and departure) and
travel time to and from central Bangkok, you have about five-hours in
Bangkok. That's enough time to see the Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaeo and
Wat Po/Reclining Buddha.

In Hong Kong, you have about eight-hours. Go up to Victoria Peak,
wander around central, Star ferry to Tsim Sha Tsui and explore Kowloon
side. You don't really have enough time to get to Lantau Island - it's
a one-hour ferry trip each way.

For cultural sites, it's Bangkok. Time wise, it's Hong Kong.

www.galleryres.com
http://www.galleryres.com/photograph...k2002-03_1.htm
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Kris

Sure Suk is interesting and nice and all that, but it sure doesn't
compare to HK. Original poster indicated he's interested to see the
Royal Palace. Getting there from Suk, in ideal circumstances that time
of day would take at least an hour and a half, even in a taxi,
possibly more. Given the choice between Sukhumvit plus (with the
Skytrain) Pratunam and Hong Kong, HK is the logical choice.

Mind you, I dearly love BKK and quite happily spend months on end
there, I'm just giving advice given original poster's available time.

Kris

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:13:49 +0700, "Sandy Cruden"
wrote:

.. .