Into Iraq: step-by-step

Old March 14th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Go Fig

Default Into Iraq: step-by-step

In article , Thomas F. Unke
wrote:

Jeremy Henderson writes:

Just keep away frm Americans that arrest you and send you to Guantanamo
Bay and then tell you they have a photo of you with Osama Bin Laden.

I think I'm joking, but after reading today's account of their ordeal by
the Britons who were just released I'm not so sure.

Yep. While I don't think that Miguel is in such a great danger, the
point you mention is important for us travellers:

One of the released Brits was travelling in Afghanistan, then
kidnapped by the Taliban and later found by US soldiers, then moved as
a "terrorist" to the infamous torture camp of Guantanamo.

"infamous torture camp" ?

Do you think anyone will visit Guantanamo in 50 years, unlike the DEATH
camp of Dachau, that 1000s of people visit each year.

jay
Sun Mar 14, 2004

Lucky that
he could get out alive from this nightmare.

Old March 14th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
news.com...
Go Fig wrote:

Do you think anyone will visit Guantanamo in 50 years, unlike the DEATH
camp of Dachau, that 1000s of people visit each year.

Now that's really a disgusting comparison.
--

What's disgusting about it ?

Old March 14th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Keith Anderson

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:45:06 GMT, (Miguel Cruz) wrote:

a.spencer3 wrote:
With respect, can you prove you're posting from Iraq?

Interesting question. As a natural-born skeptic, I'm not sure what would
constitute convincing proof. I don't have a passport stamp because the
Kurdish border people give you a separate piece of paper instead. I have put
some photos on my web site (see
http://travel.u.nu/country-iq.php) but I
guess someone else could have taken them. My posting headers are unhelpful
since I always connect back to my home network in DC to read news. The
internet access here is all through satellite services; I always get a
*.direcpceu.com address, so even if I posted via Google that would not prove
much.

Do you have any ideas? I'm game as long as it doesn't involving appearing as
a corpse on CNN.

miguel

How about appearing live (and alive of course) on CNN :-)

Old March 14th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Thomas F. Unke" wrote in message
Go Fig writes:

Do you think anyone will visit Guantanamo in 50 years, unlike the DEATH
camp of Dachau, that 1000s of people visit each year.

I hope so.

Hopefully, after 50 years, there is a civilized democracy in the US.

You have a dream too like that negro chap they slew down in 1968 ?

Old March 15th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Pan

a.spencer3 wrote:
With respect, can you prove you're posting from Iraq?

Interesting question. As a natural-born skeptic, I'm not sure what would
constitute convincing proof. I don't have a passport stamp because the
Kurdish border people give you a separate piece of paper instead. I have put
some photos on my web site (see
http://travel.u.nu/country-iq.php) but I
guess someone else could have taken them.

[snip]

Nice photos, Miguel!

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old March 15th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Greg Pankhurst

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:45:06 GMT, the renowned (Miguel
Cruz) wrote:

a.spencer3 wrote:
With respect, can you prove you're posting from Iraq?

Interesting question. As a natural-born skeptic, I'm not sure what would
constitute convincing proof. I don't have a passport stamp because the
Kurdish border people give you a separate piece of paper instead. I have put
some photos on my web site (see
http://travel.u.nu/country-iq.php) but I
guess someone else could have taken them. My posting headers are unhelpful
since I always connect back to my home network in DC to read news. The
internet access here is all through satellite services; I always get a
*.direcpceu.com address, so even if I posted via Google that would not prove
much.

Do you have any ideas? I'm game as long as it doesn't involving appearing as
a corpse on CNN.

miguel

I'd be satisfied if you sent me a worthless stack of banknotes with
Saddam's face on it. ;-) In fact I'd pay you for it.

A lot of coin/stamp collector places in Sydney still have Saddam cash if
you want it (I bought some as part of a joke I pulled on a friend).
Something like $A5 per note, which was no doubt some extortionate warped
exchange rate, even when the money did have any value in Iraq, but I
guess that's beside the point if you want it for novelty value.

Greg
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Jeremy

Alfred Molon wrote in message tnews.com...
Go Fig wrote:

Do you think anyone will visit Guantanamo in 50 years, unlike the DEATH
camp of Dachau, that 1000s of people visit each year.

Now that's really a disgusting comparison.

It's not disgusting, it's just irrelevant. A horror isn't excused by
the existence elsewhere of a greater horror.

J;