Australia Via Asia

Old April 19th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Runge

Default Australia Via Asia

Hong Kong with Cathay is also a good bet

"Miguel Cruz" a écrit dans le message de
MikeMikeRampling wrote:
Flying from manchester (UK) to Sydney start of next year, but want to

have
a 3 day stop over somewhere in asia. Where would anyone recommend for

the
best city to spend a few days in for someone whose never been outside
europe before?

Bangkok's sure to wake you up.

Singapore's the easiest.

KL's somewhere in the middle.

Bali's great but you'll be overdosed on Australians before you even make

it
to Sydney.

miguel

Old April 19th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Runge

....and its definitely not !!!

"Markku Grönroos" a écrit dans le message de

"A Mate" wrote in message
. ..
Bangkok has everything you could want or abhor - as the case may be!!

And
it's fun!

Singapore is deadly dull, but provides a sanitised mini Asia

experience!!!

Every now and then someone appears in to tell Singapore being dull and
sterile.

Old April 21st, 2004, 02:09 AM
Tchiowa

"Runge" wrote in message ...
...and its definitely not !!!

I've been to Singapore maybe 20 times.

It most definitely is dull and sterile and boring.

"Markku Grönroos" a écrit dans le message de

. ..

Old April 21st, 2004, 03:42 AM
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
om...
"Runge" wrote in message

...and its definitely not !!!

I've been to Singapore maybe 20 times.

It most definitely is dull and sterile and boring.

If I had been in some *holiday destination* some 20 times, I would probably
consider it somewhat boring. Boring you are yourself. My buzzing ears which
do recognize the slightest population of bacteria, confirms your claim: very
sterile place indeed. More sterile than most hospitals or my kettle full of
boiling water in it. Only your head is more sterile.

Old April 21st, 2004, 07:17 AM
Miguel Cruz

Tchiowa wrote:
"Runge" wrote:
...and its definitely not !!!

I've been to Singapore maybe 20 times.

It most definitely is dull and sterile and boring.

I've been a few times less than that, about 15. Always enjoyed it
tremendously. Lots of culture, friendly people, excellent food, very
relaxing, reasonable prices. Different strokes, I guess.

miguel
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:36 AM
Peacenik

"MikeMikeRampling" wrote in message
Flying from manchester (UK) to Sydney start of next year, but want to have

a 3
day stop over somewhere in asia. Where would anyone recommend for the best

city
to spend a few days in for someone whose never been outside europe before?

Bangkok.

Nothing more need be said.

--
Peacenik

Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:40 AM
Tchiowa

Miguel Cruz wrote in message ...
Tchiowa wrote:
"Runge" wrote:
...and its definitely not !!!

I've been to Singapore maybe 20 times.

It most definitely is dull and sterile and boring.

I've been a few times less than that, about 15. Always enjoyed it
tremendously. Lots of culture, friendly people, excellent food, very
relaxing, reasonable prices. Different strokes, I guess.

Let me tell you where I find disagreement.

First of all "lots of culture". The sterility of Singapore strips the
Asian culture away. If you want culture, go to any of the surrounding
countries and see it for real. Singapore is "Asia Lite" as far as
culture.

"Reasonable prices"?? My wife (a Thai) was shocked at the prices.
Granted, they are lower than the US or Europe, but they are
astoundingly high for the area. Again, compare Jakarta or Bangkok or
other regional cities of similar size. Singapore is expensive.

"Relaxing"? Yes. Boredom will do that to you. ;-)
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:41 AM
Tchiowa

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message ...
"Tchiowa" wrote in message
om...
"Runge" wrote in message

...and its definitely not !!!

I've been to Singapore maybe 20 times.

It most definitely is dull and sterile and boring.

If I had been in some *holiday destination* some 20 times, I would probably
consider it somewhat boring. Boring you are yourself. My buzzing ears which
do recognize the slightest population of bacteria, confirms your claim: very
sterile place indeed. More sterile than most hospitals or my kettle full of
boiling water in it. Only your head is more sterile.

I suggest you go back to using racial epithets to describe Jews and
acknowledge (as you have in the past) that you are a racist. Racism is
your stock in trade. It's no wonder you don't understand other people.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 08:09 AM
Miguel Cruz

Tchiowa wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:
"Runge" wrote:
...and its definitely not !!!

I've been to Singapore maybe 20 times.

It most definitely is dull and sterile and boring.

I've been a few times less than that, about 15. Always enjoyed it
tremendously. Lots of culture, friendly people, excellent food, very
relaxing, reasonable prices. Different strokes, I guess.

Let me tell you where I find disagreement.

First of all "lots of culture". The sterility of Singapore strips the
Asian culture away. If you want culture, go to any of the surrounding
countries and see it for real.

I don't think it's fair to blame the difference in opinion on a lack of
experience. I've spent months in India, Indonesia and Malaysia, weeks in
Thailand, Nepal, Vietnam and China, and shorter periods in the Maldives, Sri
Lanka and Japan (not to mention living/working in various middle eastern
countries). I think I have at least an inkling of what the "real" culture
is. Likewise the other people who have posted here in Singapore's defense
are to my knowledge road-worn travelers.

The absence of overflowing sewers and traffic mayhem does not equate to a
lack of culture. But if you want in-your-face, just head to Serangoon Road.
Otherwise, take it for what it is. In some ways Singapore is more
interesting than some of the other countries in the region, precisely
because it is so developed and provides the westerner with a view of how
societies at similar levels of development and technology can differ (and
differ they do - socially, legally, culturally, etc.).

I guess if you walk back and forth between Raffles City and Clarke Quay,
then go back to the airport, Singapore could seem sterile (but still
interesting, at least to me). I could plot a similar course in Bangkok that
would leave the same impression. The trick is to get out, adjust your focus
to see past the obvious things like clean streets and tall buildings, and
really get into the people and how they live and interact - how they deal
with Singapore's multicultural mix, how the majority Chinese reconcile
Chinese traditions with dramatically accelerated development, what they
read, watch, and do, how they've melded Asian architecture with western
construction techniques, and a whole host of other fascinating things.

"Reasonable prices"?? My wife (a Thai) was shocked at the prices.

And someone from Indonesia would be shocked at the prices in Mexico.
Mexico's still cheap by the standards of most posters in this newsgroup. It
was hard for me to guess that everything had to be calibrated to the
sensibilities of arbitrary Thais whom I've never met or even heard of until
this exchange.

Granted, they are lower than the US or Europe, but they are
astoundingly high for the area. Again, compare Jakarta or Bangkok or
other regional cities of similar size. Singapore is expensive.

Yes, it's indisputably expensive compared to other cities in the region. But
it's cheap compared to the original poster's origin and destination.

"Relaxing"? Yes. Boredom will do that to you. ;-)

Boring is not relaxing. I know the difference. Remember, I've been to the
Maldives!

miguel
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:35 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
om...

I suggest you go back to using racial epithets to describe Jews and
acknowledge (as you have in the past) that you are a racist. Racism is
your stock in trade. It's no wonder you don't understand other people.

You run out true arguments. Yids are hardly any of them. At least not in
this thread.