US transit for Australia/NZ<->Canada passengers

Old September 12th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Mel3k

Default US transit for Australia/NZ<->Canada passengers

For those that travel this route, have the new US rules (pax must clear
customs/immigration even for transit passengers) made you take a
different (and usually longer) route to Canada? If so, how much longer
did it take compared to the usual route via LAX/SFO or HNL?

Old September 12th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Al Bennett

"Mel3k" wrote in message
ups.com...

For those that travel this route, have the new US rules (pax must
clear customs/immigration even for transit passengers) made you
take a different (and usually longer) route to Canada? If so,
how much longer did it take compared to the usual route via
LAX/SFO or HNL?

It's not a new rule - it's been in for long while. What is new is
the new Visa requirement policies, even for TWOV country
passengers.
The logical Canada-Oz connection is AC's daily flight
YVR-SYD via HNL. Given the time of night the AC flight from
SYD lands, there is limited hassle as it is the only flight
in Immigration. (The main hassle comes as they want you
to re-clear security to get back to the gate area.)
Southbound, the U.S. clearance is at YVR itself, so there is
again limited hassle factor as it's part of the departure airport
procedure, rather than a mid flight/end point procedure.
HNL is by far a better & easier checkpoint than LAX (which I
avoid like the plague these days if I can) although I would transit
SFO as well.

The only way from NthAm to South Pac without going through
the U.S. is either Asia (from Western Canada) or Europe
and Asia (from Eastern Canada). Both options add several
hours to the journey - over and above the limited time spent
in U.S. immigration checks. Unless you have a background
that requires a Visa from the Americans to transit, or have
a passport that is no longer up to code for them etc etc,
I personally feel the extra travel is just not worth it to avoid
U.S. inspections.
Then again, if AC introduced it's nonstop YVR-SYD they
ran for a few months last year, it would be a moot point.

Old September 13th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Mel3k

Al Bennett wrote:
"Mel3k" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

To answer Sue's question: I was just curious as to who actually flies
via Asia to/from Canada to Australia/NZ to avoid having to go through
US Immigrations/Customs. I think someone had a similar post earlier
about getting to Australia (with a side trip to Bali) from Toronto
without having to connect through the US so I was wondering if there
were others who do the same. I guess I should have realized that my
question was kind of moot as my preferred airline is Cathay Pacific and
I would have to fly via HKG either way;-)

Old September 13th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Dave Proctor

On 13 Sep 2005 08:56:41 -0700, "Mel3k" wrote:

To answer Sue's question: I was just curious as to who actually flies
via Asia to/from Canada to Australia/NZ to avoid having to go through
US Immigrations/Customs.

I do - I use CX when flying to Canada, specifically to avoid the
Untied States. I do not wish the "bastion of freedom and democracy" to
violate my rights which they hold so dear.

It is a PITA flying through there anyway, I got the dreaded SSSS on my
last six flights, I avoid the Untied States wherever I can avoid it.

Dave

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Sue Wright

Hi, I was the original poster, we are flying Singapore via Seoul and taking
a side trip to Bali from Singapore before going on to Melbourne. There is
no sinister motive, we just don't want to be bothered with the additional
checks and they can be pretty pedantic here in Toronto where we clear US
customs before we even leave the ground. The US are entitled to make
whatever demands they think fit for their security, we are also free to
choose not to go that route. Not too much longer really and once we are on
our way it doesn't make much difference to us. We are off on November 10th
following a vacation in Cuba, something else the US wouldn't like. :-)
Must admit we like Cathay too but don't want to go via Hong Kong again. We
will stop over in Singapore for a few days on our way home. Regards..Sue