Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old August 21st, 2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Jordi

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

Tchiowa wrote:

Claims that Americans don't get enough vacation were countered with
facts. People dropped out. (Kill file! Kill file! Troll!)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/us...wanted=pri nt

"About 25 percent of American workers in the private sector do not get
any paid vacation time, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports. Another
33 percent will take only a seven-day vacation, including a weekend."

As per the rest, your imagination, as usual.

J.

Old August 21st, 2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Hatunen

On 21 Aug 2006 08:27:02 -0700, "Jordi"
wrote:

Tchiowa wrote:

Claims that Americans don't get enough vacation were countered with
facts. People dropped out. (Kill file! Kill file! Troll!)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/us...wanted=pri nt

"About 25 percent of American workers in the private sector do not get
any paid vacation time, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports. Another
33 percent will take only a seven-day vacation, including a weekend."

How does that work? They don't take the other weekend? Taking a
vacation for a week means five days of not working and four days
of weekend for a nine day total.

As per the rest, your imagination, as usual.

My imagination is working on figuring out where the other two
weekend days went.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa
Tchiowa

Default Travel Abroad

Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Hatunen wrote:

To confuse matters even more, each of us Americans are citizens of the
state in which we reside, as well as citizens of the United States of
America. In the EU each person is a citizen of the his or her state
(to use the more general meaning) as well as a citizen of the EU.

I believe we Europeans fail to see US "states" (or even brazilian or
mexican "states") to be of the same rank as European states. Canadians
call similar entities "provinces" which is more up to our feeling.

The original comment was wrong. In the US we are *residents* of the
state we live in, not "citizens". We are citizens of the US.

So what now constitutes a "country"?

And a "nation" ?

It's interesting that if you look at the dictionary definition of
"nation" it uses the term "country" to define it. And it you look at
the term "country" it uses "nation" to define it.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa
Padraig Breathnach

"Tchiowa" wrote:

It's interesting that if you look at the dictionary definition of
"nation" it uses the term "country" to define it. And it you look at
the term "country" it uses "nation" to define it.

What dictionary is that? It's not on my shelves.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED

Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
[email protected]

wrote:

"About 25 percent of American workers in the private sector do not get
any paid vacation time, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports. Another
33 percent will take only a seven-day vacation, including a weekend."

How does that work? They don't take the other weekend? Taking a
vacation for a week means five days of not working and four days
of weekend for a nine day total.

At least here, that would be called a 7-day vacation (Monday - Sunday),
the first weekend would be part of the last working week,

Similarly, if you take a week vacation and the returning Monday is some
kind of holiday, it would still be a 7-day vacation.

J.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa
Padraig Breathnach

"Tchiowa" wrote:

Padraig Breathnach wrote:
"Tchiowa" wrote:

It's interesting that if you look at the dictionary definition of
"nation" it uses the term "country" to define it. And it you look at
the term "country" it uses "nation" to define it.

What dictionary is that? It's not on my shelves.

www.dictionary.com

I am not impressed.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Hatunen

How does that work? They don't take the other weekend?

what are US "packages" like? Self catering here is usually by the
7 day week. Hotels of course by the day. (Possibly by week at
peak times? I never go at peaks)
--
Mike Reid
I will agree bendybuses are a good idea when they build bungalows on Mayfair
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Jordi

"About 25 percent of American workers in the private sector do not get
any paid vacation time, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports. Another
33 percent will take only a seven-day vacation, including a weekend."

As per the rest, your imagination, as usual.

didnt he say he had six months off, or something, on one
"unusual" job?
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Jordi

The Reid wrote:
Following up to Jordi

"About 25 percent of American workers in the private sector do not get
any paid vacation time, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports. Another
33 percent will take only a seven-day vacation, including a weekend."

As per the rest, your imagination, as usual.

didnt he say he had six months off, or something, on one
"unusual" job?

IIRC 'several' was the word he used, I don't recall any further
clarification.

J.