Beijing or Hong Kong?

Old August 29th, 2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.hongkong
David J Richardson

Default Beijing or Hong Kong?

In article ,
Kirans Cousin wrote:

As I explain in another post, I may have to choose between taking a
stop in Beijing or doing so in Hong Kong, although I had hoped to do
both. No flames please, but I would appreciate opinions on which
would make a better stop for 3-5 days?

To put in a slightly contrary note: especially if you like walking, and
even if you're not much of a shopper, there is no way you'd run out of
things to do in Hong Kong in 5 days. Gets my vote!

--
David J Richardson --
http://davidj.richardson.name/ - Dr Who articles/interviews/reviews

Old August 30th, 2006, 07:30 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.hongkong
bob young

David J Richardson wrote:

In article ,
Kirans Cousin wrote:

As I explain in another post, I may have to choose between taking a
stop in Beijing or doing so in Hong Kong, although I had hoped to do
both. No flames please, but I would appreciate opinions on which
would make a better stop for 3-5 days?

To put in a slightly contrary note: especially if you like walking, and
even if you're not much of a shopper, there is no way you'd run out of
things to do in Hong Kong in 5 days. Gets my vote!

There are some pretty demanding country walks here
as an alternative to walking through modern shopping arcades

Old August 30th, 2006, 08:27 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.hongkong
nobody[_1_]

bob young wrote:
There are some pretty demanding country walks here
as an alternative to walking through modern shopping arcades

Yep. From the top of Victoria Peak, , you can hike down via the
reservoir towards Pok Fu Lam and end up on Pok Fu Lam road where you can
catch a bus back to central. In that hike, you will be in an
undevelopped area, in forest, no noise, no cars, something which is hard
to believe in Hong Kong !

(when I did it a decade ago, the access from the trail to Pok Fu Lam
road wasn't obvious, but that is perhaps because I was aiming for
friends's flat that was in a specific direction).

Hong Kong is essentially a western city with a very large and dominant
"chinatown". If you stick to central, you can shop in western shopping
malls and not realise you are in Asia. But it is also extremely easy to
escape from the "western" city and end up in places where nobody speak
english. (especially if you board the wrong ferry).
Old August 30th, 2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.hongkong
J.Venning

"bob young" wrote in message ...
Oh and by the way, I am an atheist
not a monotheist, whatever that is.

Wha? You mean you've never hoid of a Mo' Not Theist? That's a Black American who believes in more of nuttin'
J.
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.hongkong
[email protected]

Kirans Cousin wrote:
As I explain in another post, I may have to choose between taking a
stop in Beijing or doing so in Hong Kong, although I had hoped to do
both. No flames please, but I would appreciate opinions on which would
make a better stop for 3-5 days?

Hong Kong is more accessible to the Western tourist, so I'd say it's
better for such a short stop. It has all the conveniences of a first
world country. Not that Beijing isn't worth a visit, but China needs
time and preparation to be fully enjoyed, and possibly the company of
someone who lives there.

Old August 31st, 2006, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.hongkong
bob young

nobody wrote:

bob young wrote:
[...]

This a little out of date. You can shop in new malls in Kowloon at prices
well below those set for the tourists and foreign residents in Central and
for real bargains visit Temple Street Night Market. A vast array of
clothing and electronics on stalls at night, jostling crowds and most stall
holders have passable English, but keep you wallet well concealed. Temple
Street is right in the heart of Kowloon and if you fancy eating rough there
are food stalls there too.

Macao is only fifty minutes fast ferry ride from HK. There you will find a
slower tempo with streets still named in Portuguese plus a host of tourist
attractions

Old August 31st, 2006, 03:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.hongkong
[email protected]

Hong Kong is essentially a western city with a very large and dominant
"chinatown". If you stick to central, you can shop in western shopping
malls and not realise you are in Asia. But it is also extremely easy to
escape from the "western" city and end up in places where nobody speak
english. (especially if you board the wrong ferry).

This a little out of date. You can shop in new malls in Kowloon at prices
well below those set for the tourists and foreign residents in Central and
for real bargains visit Temple Street Night Market.

I found a lot of the markets in Hong Kong to be very interesting,
especially the Graham Street Market and the Jade Market, but I was
disappointed by the Temple Street Night Market. Most of the vendors
sold either crappy clothing, pornography, or pirated DVDs.

A vast array of clothing and electronics on stalls at night, jostling crowds
and most stall holders have passable English, but keep you wallet well
concealed.

Wearing a money belt is a good idea.

Macao is only fifty minutes fast ferry ride from HK. There you will find a
slower tempo with streets still named in Portuguese plus a host of tourist
attractions.

Macao has a lot of old Portuguese architecture as well as Chinese
temples. You will see streets with pink and green colonial buildings,
and then see people selling live chickens and Chinese herbs on the
sidewalk in front of those buildings. There are excellent restaurants
in Macao that serve a mix of Portuguese and Asian cuisine called
"Macanese cuisine".