A visit to Provo, Utah

Old November 15th, 2003, 02:41 PM

Default A visit to Provo, Utah

I found out yesterday quite unexpectedly, that I am being sent
to Provo for a business meeting. The meeting is on Dec. 9-11
and I arranged to fly out there from here in Philly on Dec. 6
so I can spend the weekend seeing the sights.

This will be my first, and possibly only trip to Utah. I am
wondering if anyone has any suggestions on scenic areas in
or near Provo that I could visit. I am an avid photographer
so I figured there must be some interesting stuff to photograph
there.

I am also curious to know if there are any good, moderately
priced restaurants where I can eat on that Saturday and
Sunday. During the week, my meals will be provided by the
company with whom I will be consulting so they have already
told me they have dinner plans lined up and breakfast and
lunch will be served at the hotel where our meeting is to
take place. I would love to try some local restaurants on
the weekend. Not ever having been to Utah before and never
really having an interest in visiting there before, I am
very ignorant about the dining and tourism options there.
I will be staying at the Marriott Court Yard in Provo and
I prefer not to have to rent a car, but renting a car is
something I will do if its the best transportation option.

Any suggestions on good restaurants and sites to see
will be appreciated. Oh, and please do not suggest I
go skiing. I want to avoid any chance that I might hurt
myself and not be able to attend the meeting that I
am being sent there to attend. I am not much of a fan
of skiing anyway.

Old November 16th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Sarah Banick

Go up to Park City -- you don't have to ski -- it's got that funky old
mining town thing going for it. Lots of restaurants, shops, impressive
views.

Can't imagine how you'd see the area without a car.

There are some good brew pubs in Salt Lake -- Squatters is one I remember.
Park City has the Wasatch Brewery/restaurant. A Mexican-ish place I really
like in SLC is the Blue Iguana, downtown (there's a Red Iguana out toward
the airport).

I hear Sundance is worth a visit -- never made it myself, always visiting my
brother who has other things in mind.

Sarah

"dogsnus" wrote in message
wrote in :

snip

This will be my first, and possibly only trip to Utah. I am
wondering if anyone has any suggestions on scenic areas in
or near Provo that I could visit. I am an avid photographer
so I figured there must be some interesting stuff to photograph
there.

The Wasatch mountains!
There is also the Great Salt Lake, of course.
If you can make it into Salt Lake City, the Mormon
Temple is very impressive.

I am also curious to know if there are any good, moderately
priced restaurants where I can eat on that Saturday and
Sunday.

Can't help you there. When I drove through, it was
in a moving van. We ate a Subway sandwich for dinner.

I will be staying at the Marriott Court Yard in Provo and
I prefer not to have to rent a car, but renting a car is
something I will do if its the best transportation option.

It's difficult to see the sights without one there. At least,
more difficult than other more urban areas.

Any suggestions on good restaurants and sites to see
will be appreciated.

http://www.beentheresawthat.com/ut/utah/pages/guide.htm

Terri

Old November 16th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Vince Poroke

wrote in message ...
[...]

Provo Canyon. Go to Bridal Vale Falls, absolutely beautiful. If you
are a fly fisherman bring your pole. Great fishing. This will be
surprising but Utah has some of the best Mexican food I have ever
tasted, El Silvestry (sp). Order the smothered burrito. Damn good.
Old November 17th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Todd Kunioka

wrote in message ...
I found out yesterday quite unexpectedly, that I am being sent
to Provo for a business meeting. The meeting is on Dec. 9-11
and I arranged to fly out there from here in Philly on Dec. 6
so I can spend the weekend seeing the sights.

This will be my first, and possibly only trip to Utah. I am
wondering if anyone has any suggestions on scenic areas in
or near Provo that I could visit. I am an avid photographer
so I figured there must be some interesting stuff to photograph
there.

I am also curious to know if there are any good, moderately
priced restaurants where I can eat on that Saturday and
Sunday.

I'm thinking the name of the buffet in town was "Chuck-a-rama." With
a name like that, I just had to go, at least once. I suppose it's
more or less the Utah equivalent of a Ponderosa. So don't expect
great food, but of course it's cheap and it's all you can eat.

For more adventurous food, I suppose you can just walk around the
downtown [Center Street] area. There were plenty of restaurants with
a wide variety of ethnic choices.

During the week, my meals will be provided by the
company with whom I will be consulting so they have already
told me they have dinner plans lined up and breakfast and
lunch will be served at the hotel where our meeting is to
take place. I would love to try some local restaurants on
the weekend. Not ever having been to Utah before and never
really having an interest in visiting there before, I am
very ignorant about the dining and tourism options there.

As I noted above, the choices are really great for such a small town.
I suppose it has something to do with returned missionaries and
immigrant converts all converging in Provo.

I will be staying at the Marriott Court Yard in Provo and
I prefer not to have to rent a car, but renting a car is
something I will do if its the best transportation option.

You really need a car. Alternatively, if the weather is dry, you
might consider renting a bike. There was a bike path [mostly unpaved
in the lower stetches, but paved in the upper portion] that ran along
the Provo River. If I had a bike but no car, I suppose that would be
at least one day's adventure.

Any suggestions on good restaurants and sites to see
will be appreciated.

I'd agree with a previous poster that Park City is a nice place to
visit, even if you don't ski. And, also previously suggested, I
suppose I would want to visit Temple Square in Salt Lake City, just
because that's sort of what folks will assume you saw if you're in
Utah. Also, if the Christmas decorations are up, that's a pretty
wonderful sight to see.

The other thing I always suggest for the Salt Lake area is a visit to
the Kennecott Copper mine in Bingham Canyon. Free entry and a very
impressive example of strip mining.

In the actual Provo area, Provo Canyon has already been suggested.
You can drive as far as you want up the canyon, including straight
through to I-80. Stop at Bridalveil falls [of course]. If you fly
fish, fish the river.

If you just want a short hike, Rock Canyon is accessible from the
"front" side of the Wasatch Front. Check a map and just walk right up
the canyon. Or, alternatively, drive towards the bit "Y" on the
mountain and walk past the Y and on into the mountains. As long as
you stay on the Front side of the mountain, it's pretty hard to get
lost. [Although, if there is snow or ice on the ground, I would not
suggest hiking Rock Canyon. Hiking in general may not be such a great
idea if there's snow on the ground].

Oh, and please do not suggest I
go skiing. I want to avoid any chance that I might hurt
myself and not be able to attend the meeting that I
am being sent there to attend. I am not much of a fan
of skiing anyway.

If you do not want to ski, I would NOT suggest Sundance. Other than
the skiing, you'll basically have the choice of very expensive food or
a very expensive place to stay. What's the point? On the other hand,
if you DO decide to go skiing, skiing on Utah powder is an entirely
different experience from your previous experiences on snow. The
concept of "dry" snow finally makes sense.

If you decide to go further afield, you should know that from Provo
you can get to Moab in about four hours. A trip to Arches and
Canyonlands national parks would thus be a very easy weekend [one or
two night] trip from Provo, and you'd come back from Utah with some
very spectacular pictures. Indeed, if this is really your one and
only trip to Utah, I think I'd put getting a rental car and driving to
Arches at the top of your list of suggestions for your free weekend.

TK
Old November 17th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Mark Brader

[rec.food.cooking dropped]

"Stan":

Todd Kunioka writes:
The other thing I always suggest for the Salt Lake area is a visit to
the Kennecott Copper mine in Bingham Canyon. Free entry and a very
impressive example of strip mining.

In about 100 years they have mined away almost an entire mountain.
Different people might either find it spectactular or disturbing.

If you decide to go further afield, you should know that from Provo
you can get to Moab in about four hours. A trip to Arches and
Canyonlands national parks would thus be a very easy weekend [one or
two night] trip from Provo, and you'd come back from Utah with some
very spectacular pictures. Indeed, if this is really your one and
only trip to Utah, I think I'd put getting a rental car and driving to
Arches at the top of your list of suggestions for your free weekend.

Agreed. There are other national parks within a few hours' drive of
Provo as well, and all of them are beautiful, but the natural stone
arches at Arches are downright unearthly -- do consider spending a
night at Moab, if you don't mind doing that much driving. (There are
lots of motels in Moab and this won't be a busy time of year.)

The opening sequence of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade -- the
part where young Indy discovers the bad guys with the Cross of
Coronado -- was filmed in the Double Arch area of Arches National Park.
--
Mark Brader | "And don't forget there were five separate computers
| in those days."
Toronto | -- Bob NE20G3018 (Ira Levin, "This Perfect Day")