Yosemite to Las Vegas

Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:08 AM
Uncle_Jarvis

Default Yosemite to Las Vegas

Hi,

I've read a few really old posts on this but not sure if there are any
new routes or ones to avoid.

We're travelling from Yosemite (El Portal) to Las Vegas in September.
The route planners offer so many different routes I don't know which
to take. We want a scenic route but nothing that a mid-range hire car
couldn't cope with and not too slow either. So, questions are!

1. What route do you recommend?
2. Route planners are saying this will take 7/8 hours. Is this true?
3. Any general advice about the route would be appreciated (we're from
the UK, never driven in US before).
4. Is getting petrol a problem on the route?

Thanks in advance.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:53 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Uncle_Jarvis" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I've read a few really old posts on this but not sure if there are any
new routes or ones to avoid.

We're travelling from Yosemite (El Portal) to Las Vegas in September.
The route planners offer so many different routes I don't know which
to take. We want a scenic route but nothing that a mid-range hire car
couldn't cope with and not too slow either. So, questions are!

1. What route do you recommend?

Over the Tioga Pass, visit Mono Lake and then go through Death Valley

2. Route planners are saying this will take 7/8 hours. Is this true?

I'd allow for an overnight stay in the Mammoth Lakes area.

3. Any general advice about the route would be appreciated (we're from
the UK, never driven in US before).

Its a GLORIOUS drive passing through some of the most
spectacular scenery in the USA.

4. Is getting petrol a problem on the route?

Fill up before entering Yosemite, there are no gas stations
between the valley and Lee Vining. There are a handful
along the route to las vegas but you'll pay top prices

Keith

Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:59 PM
Graham Harrison

8 hours is the driving time. It doesn't allow for you to stop and enjoy
the scenery (and believe me, going over the top of Yosemite you'll want to
stop). Personally I'd make it a two day trip.

There is another reason for making it a 2 day trip. The road over the top
should still be open but it usually closes during October. It's a long
boring drive back down into the central valley then round the south of the
Sierra and back up to Las Vegas.

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:04 PM
Ken

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in news:ceomu7$5sd$1
:
I'd allow for an overnight stay in the Mammoth Lakes area.

Mammoth Lakes is only an hour or so south of Yosemite. That is a good stop if
you plan to visit Tuolumne Meadows and Mono Lake in the morning. In the
afternoon, rent a mountain bike and take the gondola to the top of Mammoth
Mountain, then cruise on down. Mammoth Lakes is one of the few towns in the
eastern Sierra with good restaurants.