Cayman Islands "devistated" by Ivan

Old September 14th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Thomas Smith

Default Cayman Islands "devistated" by Ivan

See
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...p_world _news.
It looks like Ivan did a number on the Cayman Islands. According to the
article, at one point Grand Cayman was cut in two around Seven Mile Beach.
Other reports indicate that just about every building on the island suffered
some damage.

--
Tom Smith
"The future is whatever you make it, so make it a good one!"

Old September 14th, 2004, 12:44 AM
MGOBLUEE2

I read a similar article today at work and it is so sad. We have been lucky
here in the Clearwater, FL area so far....

I hope the island recovers in time for our visit in November on the Miracle.
Old September 14th, 2004, 01:27 AM
BiG Orange

"MGOBLUEE2" wrote in message
I hope the island recovers in time for our visit in November on the
Miracle.

Get real, it's not Fantasy Island. It will take years to recover from a near
full hit of an island that small.

Old September 14th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Paul Krause

Not to be insensitive to the people and the damage, but what about the
turtle farm? they were still rebuilding from a previous storm.

Old September 14th, 2004, 02:46 AM
JM

Here is a message board thread on it. One guy was driving around the island
reporting damage. He stated the turtle farm is gone.

I am not sure what that means. Are all the turtle gone, the structures gone,
both?

http://www.stormcarib.com/reports/2004/cayman.shtml

We just visited the farm last Thursday and the tour guide was saying the new
setup was designed to withstand even a strong hurricane.

- Jeff

news

Old September 14th, 2004, 05:07 AM
HDawson228

Actually, island construction is very cheap, simple and pretty quickly
repaired/replaced. No central heat/air, no insulation, no basements. I guess
we'll miss our stop there in three weeks. Hopefully we will get Progreso as a
substitute.
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Thomas Smith

"HDawson228" wrote in message
Actually, island construction is very cheap, simple and pretty quickly
repaired/replaced. No central heat/air, no insulation, no basements. I

guess
we'll miss our stop there in three weeks. Hopefully we will get Progreso

as a
substitute.

The Cayman Islands has a pretty strong building code. However, I am seeing
reports from other sites describing extensive destruction.

Tom Smith

Old September 14th, 2004, 06:04 AM
BiG Orange

Is Sting Ray City still there? I bet those sting rays are going to freak out
not getting full meals daily.