Did I make a mistake with this group?

Old September 13th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Sheherazade

Default Did I make a mistake with this group?

Sorry, I made a post here a few days ago asking if anybody knows
anything about traveling in Uzbekistan in october (the climate, mostly)
but nobody answered.
Maybe I did a mistake and should have posted somewhere else? Anybody can
give advice? Would be very, very grateful. Ciao
Old September 13th, 2003, 03:18 PM
John W.

Sheherazade wrote:
Sorry, I made a post here a few days ago asking if anybody knows
anything about traveling in Uzbekistan in october (the climate, mostly)
but nobody answered.
Maybe I did a mistake and should have posted somewhere else? Anybody can
give advice? Would be very, very grateful. Ciao

Not necessarily a mistake to choose this group. Probably nobody knows
anything about your destination. While I haven't either, I suggest you
go to some official site for Uzbekistan and see if that sort of climate
info is there (usually is), and if not, email them and ask. Might get a
tourist kit or something (wouldn't plan on that, though).

John W.

Old September 13th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Anette

"Sheherazade"
Sorry, I made a post here a few days ago asking if anybody knows
anything about traveling in Uzbekistan in october (the climate, mostly)
but nobody answered.
Maybe I did a mistake and should have posted somewhere else? Anybody can
give advice? Would be very, very grateful. Ciao

Maybe you'd want to try www.lonelyplanet.com
Both their destination guide and thorn tree might be helpful to you.

Anette

Old September 13th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Sheherazade

Many thanks to all of you. I'd rather die than travelling again with a
Lonely Planet Guide. Did it twice in Iran. Do not know what saved me.
God, possibly. And, yes, I have visited uzbek official www sites, but
what I was looking for was personal experience. But evidently few people
go to Uzbekistan.
In any case, really, many thanks for your kindness. Ciao from Italy
Old September 13th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Larry

In article , Sheherazade
writes:

Sorry, I made a post here a few days ago asking if anybody knows
anything about traveling in Uzbekistan in october (the climate, mostly)
but nobody answered.

No, you did not make a mistake, but some of us prefer not to post publically
because that results in more spam. Since your e-mail address seems to be
invalid, I did not reply. I was in Uzbekistan for about two months last year
and will be happy to help, if I can. Please contact me by e-mail (see address
below)

Larry at Morro Bay, California (seaotter 6 at a o l dot c o m)(no spaces in
address)
Old September 13th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Miguel Cruz

Larry wrote:
Sheherazade writes:
Sorry, I made a post here a few days ago asking if anybody knows
anything about traveling in Uzbekistan in october (the climate, mostly)
but nobody answered.

No, you did not make a mistake, but some of us prefer not to post
publically because that results in more spam.

Yet you posted this. Why not just mask your email address (as you have
done)? The whole point of Usenet is that everyone benefits from the answers
posted here. Otherwise it's just a private question-and-answer service
which is far less useful and far less interesting for everyone.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 13th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Miguel Cruz

Sheherazade wrote:
Sorry, I made a post here a few days ago asking if anybody knows
anything about traveling in Uzbekistan in october (the climate, mostly)
but nobody answered.

You can get historical weather data at www.worldclimate.com. I've always
found this the most useful way to plan for climate.

Maybe I did a mistake and should have posted somewhere else? Anybody can
give advice? Would be very, very grateful.

For current advice from faraway places Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree web site
can be useful. It is populated with a number of intrepid travelers hammering
away on keyboards in remote dusty internet cafes.

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...s.cfm?catid=13

Old September 13th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Anette

"Sheherazade"

Many thanks to all of you. I'd rather die than travelling again with a
Lonely Planet Guide. Did it twice in Iran. Do not know what saved me.
God, possibly. And, yes, I have visited uzbek official www sites, but
what I was looking for was personal experience. But evidently few people
go to Uzbekistan.
In any case, really, many thanks for your kindness. Ciao from Italy

I didn't mean you had to buy the book or anything!!!! But lonely planets
thorn tree usually has lots of personal experiences, so I'd definitely give
it a shot!

Anette

Old September 13th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Jan

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Larry wrote:
Sheherazade writes:
Sorry, I made a post here a few days ago asking if anybody knows
anything about traveling in Uzbekistan in october (the climate,
mostly) but nobody answered.

No, you did not make a mistake, but some of us prefer not to post
publically because that results in more spam.

Yet you posted this. Why not just mask your email address (as you have
done)? The whole point of Usenet is that everyone benefits from the
answers posted here. Otherwise it's just a private
question-and-answer service which is far less useful and far less
interesting for everyone.

miguel

I agree with you Miguel. Larry has not posted answers to my queries on
several occasions,-on other NGs and probably here as well.
However he has posted- more than once- to inform me that he has an answer
but as he can't email me, he won't post the answer. Larry, if you are
reading this thread... why won't you share your answers with the group? Why
be so secretive?
Jan

---

Old September 13th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Dave Fossett

"Larry" wrote:

No, you did not make a mistake, but some of us prefer not to post

publically
because that results in more spam. Since your e-mail address seems to be
invalid, I did not reply. I was in Uzbekistan for about two months last

year
and will be happy to help, if I can. Please contact me by e-mail (see

address
below)

Surely this defeats the whole point of a public newsgroup. I'd be interested
to read about your experiences too, so I hope you can post them to the group
as a whole.

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan