Question : Inside Passage

Old February 17th, 2010, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff Gersten

Default Question : Inside Passage

What exactly is the inside passage for Alaskan cruises? And why is it
important, or not important? Can it only be done from Vancouver, or can
it also be done from Seattle?

Old February 17th, 2010, 03:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

"Jeff Gersten" wrote in message
What exactly is the inside passage for Alaskan cruises? And why
is it
important, or not important? Can it only be done from Vancouver,
or can
it also be done from Seattle?

Jeff, the hallways of a ship can be on the inside or the outside.
In Alaskan waters, waves and storms can be fierce, and an outside
passage(way) can be hideously dangerous. Only the inside passages
are safe during those transits. Poor Mrs. Nonny and I had an
outside passage cabin once during an Alaskan cruise. The poor
thing was on her scooter when a huge wave came crashing down the
passage, sweeping her and the bottle she was carrying for me out
into the Gulf of Alaska.

Fortunately, a pod of killer whales was swimming by and spotted
her. They tossed her about for almost an hour before depositing
her back onto the cruise ship, unharmed. My bottle of booze was
lost, but at least my dear wife was saved. To this very day,
whenever we go to Alaska, killer whales follow us, hoping for a
repeat performance and another bottle of tequila.

My most sincere advice is to tell your travel agent that you want
a cabin with an INSIDE passage and not one with an outside
passage.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Old February 17th, 2010, 05:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Island Grampa

"Jeff Gersten" wrote in message
What exactly is the inside passage for Alaskan cruises? And why is it
important, or not important? Can it only be done from Vancouver, or can
it also be done from Seattle?

Hi Jeff

The "Inside Passage" referred to in Alaska sailings is that stretch of water
from Vancouver, BC, heading North between the mainland and Vancouver Island.
It is often sailed mostly at night, and is usually more calm water than the
open Pacific.

As a matter of interest, there has been much discussion between the powers
that be regarding changing the name of the entire inland waterway back to
the original native name of "The Salish Sea". This includes the Strait of
Juan de Fuca, the Strait of Georgia and the entire "Inside Passage". I'm
not sure if that is official yet, but it is almost a "done deal".

Most cruises that sail to Alaska out of Vancouver City go up, and back down
the inside passage (being the shortest route to Alaska). Most cruises out
of Seattle take the route up the West coast of Vancouver Island (in the open
Pacific Ocean), again because that is the shortest route (from Seattle to
Alaska).

The open Pacific can, at times, be much rougher than the Inside Passage,
however, in the two times we have sailed outside Vancouver Island, the seas
have been relatively calm. BTW, most cruises out of Seattle make a stop in
Victoria (the Capital city of British Columbia), which is located on the
Southern tip of Vancouver Island (our "Island in the Pacific"). :-)

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

Old February 18th, 2010, 12:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MAS

On 2/16/2010 10:53 PM, Nonny wrote:
[...]

I MUST meet you and your family some day....

Marsha
Old February 18th, 2010, 04:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

"MAS" wrote in message
[...]

Marsha, you seem to be a nice, sensible person. Meeting me can
best be described as "disturbing," to normal folk. While Mrs.
Nonny, the kids and the grandkids are best described as just
"memorable." grin

Old February 19th, 2010, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
*muz*

:
: Fortunately, a pod of killer whales was swimming by and spotted her.
: They tossed her about for almost an hour before depositing her back onto
: the cruise ship, unharmed. My bottle of booze was lost, but at least my
: dear wife was saved. To this very day, whenever we go to Alaska, killer
: whales follow us, hoping for a repeat performance and another bottle of
: tequila.
:
: My most sincere advice is to tell your travel agent that you want a
: cabin with an INSIDE passage and not one with an outside passage.
:
:
: I MUST meet you and your family some day....
:
: Marsha

Bring your own lifeboat...and a good bottle of tequila!

Old February 20th, 2010, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

"*muz*" wrote in message
abs...

"MAS" wrote in message
[...]

Jose Cuervo Gold is preferred.

Old February 25th, 2010, 12:49 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Nonny plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 2/16/2010 10:53 PM:

[...]

Nonny you'll have to do better then that to be more believable. Had the
event happened for real, Mrs. Nonny would have suffered several broken
bones, internal injuries from being tossed about. Additionally, she
probably would have died from hypothermia before the whales ate her.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951