Will bangkok customs cut the padlocks off my backpack? going tomorrow,need help plz!

Old September 21st, 2003, 12:00 AM
DON

Default Will bangkok customs cut the padlocks off my backpack? going tomorrow,need help plz!

i have a 80 litre backpack, and i am travelling from the uk to
amsterdam, and then 2 hours after straight to bangkok.

i am securing the backpack by way of a number of combination padlocks.

obviously there will be no valuables in the backpack as they will be
with me in my daypack on the flight.

However the thought of someone pilfering through my backpack kinda
****es me off. fair enough the main compartment will still be unsecure,
but at least the side pockets will be relatively safe...

having a bag with no zippers due to the fact they ripped them off, is an
option i cant risk....A guy told me customs ripped his zip straight off.
he didnt tell me where he went though.....i thought this only applied to
USA airports..

usama bin laden is a dick....

Don

Old September 21st, 2003, 07:52 AM
Smegg

What you going to do, tell the customs that they cannot look in your bag, I
have been through BKK many times and have never been stopped, you have more
chance that you will be stopped returning to the UK via AMS, i.e. drugs from
the Nederland's. Good luck carrying an 80 litre backpack I'm glad it's not
me, I travel for 2 months with only 6kl = hang baggage

Old September 21st, 2003, 09:10 AM
Eric Edwards

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 06:52:19 GMT, Smegg wrote:
What you going to do, tell the customs that they cannot look in your bag, I
have been through BKK many times and have never been stopped, you have more
chance that you will be stopped returning to the UK via AMS, i.e. drugs from
the Nederland's. Good luck carrying an 80 litre backpack I'm glad it's not
me, I travel for 2 months with only 6kl = hang baggage

It's not the amount of time you spend. It's how you spend your time and
the gear you need to do it. Hand luggage doesn't leave much room for
camera gear, scuba gear, hiking/camping gear, etc.

--
Use the From: header. Sending mail to
or
Old September 21st, 2003, 10:04 AM
Alfred Molon

In article , member15376
@britishexpats.com says...

i have a 80 litre backpack, and i am travelling from the uk to
amsterdam, and then 2 hours after straight to bangkok.

i am securing the backpack by way of a number of combination padlocks.

obviously there will be no valuables in the backpack as they will be
with me in my daypack on the flight.

However the thought of someone pilfering through my backpack kinda
****es me off. fair enough the main compartment will still be unsecure,
but at least the side pockets will be relatively safe...

You're a bit paranoid.

having a bag with no zippers due to the fact they ripped them off, is an
option i cant risk....A guy told me customs ripped his zip straight off.
he didnt tell me where he went though.....i thought this only applied to
USA airports..

Once in Bangkok just walk through the customs, and if you are unlucky, a
customs officer will stop you and ask to see the content of your bag.
Then of course you will have to open your bag. But this has never
happened to me in Thailand.

Are you sure you're not confusing customs with security looking for
weapons ? For that there is an a bag scan upon departure.
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 21st, 2003, 11:24 AM
MS

"DON" wrote in message

i have a 80 litre backpack, and i am travelling from the uk to
amsterdam, and then 2 hours after straight to bangkok.

i am securing the backpack by way of a number of combination padlocks.

obviously there will be no valuables in the backpack as they will be
with me in my daypack on the flight.

However the thought of someone pilfering through my backpack kinda
****es me off. fair enough the main compartment will still be unsecure,
but at least the side pockets will be relatively safe...

having a bag with no zippers due to the fact they ripped them off, is an
option i cant risk....A guy told me customs ripped his zip straight off.
he didnt tell me where he went though.....i thought this only applied to
USA airports..

Customs checks at US airports aren't dis-similar to those in other
countries. Why would Customs do that? Security might do it in the US, but
not Customs.

usama bin laden is a dick....

What has Customs checks got to do with Osama Bin Laden?

Don

Old September 21st, 2003, 04:54 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
news.com...
In article , member15376
@britishexpats.com says...

You're a bit paranoid.

Actually the concept of locking the bag sounds nonsense to me. Some people
follow this routine and they are a clear minority. Nothing valuable into
one's rucksack should suffice. The most thorough border check I have ever
faced was almost 20 years ago when I was entering FRG from Holland by train.
It was a hilarious moment when the police commiting the tampering of my bag
frequently asked what's here (stuff in his hand) and I always replied:
"dirty clothes": I hadn't made laundry for a good while.

Old September 21st, 2003, 05:44 PM
Orzowei

Agree, but think the soap is extra weight.

"The Man" escribió en el mensaje
news
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:00:56 +0000, DON
wrote:

i have a 80 litre backpack, and i am travelling from the uk to
amsterdam, and then 2 hours after straight to bangkok.

Why ?
I go with a plastic sainsburys bag with a towel, soap and toothbrush
in it and buy everything else there

-
In the beginning there was nothing........which exploded