A week in Rome

Old May 8th, 2011, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Rhamnous and other ancient Greek sites A week in Rome

On 2011-05-02 18:07:11 -0500, Poetic Justice said:

In 2000 I was at Rhamnous before the ticket seller got there.
He pulls up on his motorscooter and opens-up the ticket booth.
I purchase my ticket and head to the site after the 1st 2 temple's
remains which is basically outside of the main site the *entire* site is
fenced-off.
If I hadn't lived in Greece I would not have understood the logic
behind this;
His job is to sell tickets, leave this *small* area open which wasn't
included in the on-going excavation and he can still sell tickets and
keep his government job. And the site was closed for many years.

Well it is better now. I visited in the Fall of 2009 and the main site
was open, and wow, it was really cool. Check out those pics lower down
in Day 76. The outer gate was pretty intact and you could climb to the
top. The lower 'town' was excavated to low walls, the upper to
foundations. There is one place were you can look down to what used to
be their harbor.

Do you know of any other tucked-out-of-the-way sites, like this?
--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:28 AM
mr.mike1304 mr.mike1304 is offline
Member

Stromboli is really the only "choice" here. The other is isolated.

Stromboli puts you within walking distance or hand metro/bus to the many
venues you want to get to quickly.