Suggestions for hotels and land transfers for Miami in December

Old October 5th, 2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Suggestions for hotels and land transfers for Miami in December

Hi,

We've booked two back to back cruises for Dec 1 and Dec 9. We will be
getting in at around 10PM on November 30th and would need a hotel room
for that night as well as the night of Dec 8 when we get off the first
cruise.

I'd like to know if anyone knows of hotels in the area that provide
airport and cruise terminal courtesy shuttles? Or either one or the
other?

We would need a total of 5 transfers.

Airport to Hotel
Hotel to Port
Port to Hotel
Hotel to Port
Port to Airport

I've read that a few years ago, the cost was $20 for a cab from the
port to the airport. Is that still the case?

Any help or suggestion would be welcomed.

Old October 5th, 2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill C

J wrote:
Hi,

We've booked two back to back cruises for Dec 1 and Dec 9. We will be
getting in at around 10PM on November 30th and would need a hotel room
for that night as well as the night of Dec 8 when we get off the first
cruise.

I'd like to know if anyone knows of hotels in the area that provide
airport and cruise terminal courtesy shuttles? Or either one or the
other?

We would need a total of 5 transfers.

Airport to Hotel
Hotel to Port
Port to Hotel
Hotel to Port
Port to Airport

I've read that a few years ago, the cost was $20 for a cab from the
port to the airport. Is that still the case?

Any help or suggestion would be welcomed.

The cost of the cabs is now $24 flat rate unless it has gone up in the
last couple of months.

Bill

--
Visit my Caribbean Princess website:
www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Michael[_3_]

I have not been able to find any hotels that have complimentary shuttle
service to the pier and most don't offer shuttle service from the airport.
There are a few that say they offer shuttle service to the cruise terminal
but you will have to pay for it. You are actually better off to just grab a
taxi because the price is comparable but with the shuttle service you have
to wait until they fill the van/bus.

We usually book a hotel near the pier, through Hotwire and just take a cab
to and from the airport and pier. We save a lot of money using Hotwire and
the hotels are nice. I just booked the Radisson for $49 (plus tax) for our
November cruise. That is wayyy below the booking price through the hotel.

I have stayed at the Radisson, The Marriott and the Doubletree (all within a
short distance of each other) on a number of occasions and they are very
nice places. They are within minutes of the pier plus you can take the free
monorail ride down to the Bayside Market Place to have dinner or do a little
shopping.

ups.com...

Old October 7th, 2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"J" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi,

We've booked two back to back cruises for Dec 1 and Dec 9. We will be
getting in at around 10PM on November 30th and would need a hotel room
for that night as well as the night of Dec 8 when we get off the first
cruise.

I'd like to know if anyone knows of hotels in the area that provide
airport and cruise terminal courtesy shuttles? Or either one or the
other?

We would need a total of 5 transfers.

Airport to Hotel
Hotel to Port
Port to Hotel
Hotel to Port
Port to Airport

I've read that a few years ago, the cost was $20 for a cab from the
port to the airport. Is that still the case?

Any help or suggestion would be welcomed.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the replies...

I did find the Red Roof Inn does provide complimentary shuttles from
the airport to the hotel, then to the port from the hotel all
included.

http://www.redroof.com/reservations/...&CP=&TA=&redi=

After taxes, it was less than $100 for one night. Not sure if I am
better off with this since it covers two of my drives or would I be
better doing a priceline for any good place and take a cab.

I'm still looking for a hotel for the night that is in the middle of
the two cruises. I've tried Priceline and am out of my bids for the
day... I ended at $51 for a 3* and still haven't gotten it.

I was thinking if I want to stay within $70 or less for the one night,
then perhaps Coral Gables, though it is about 8 miles to the pier.

Old October 8th, 2007, 10:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Michael[_3_]

Have you tried booking through Hotwire? I had very good luck with using it.
I have used Priceline in the past but I like Hotwire a little better because
you don't have to bid and wait if your bid is turned down.

It is only my opinion and I would like to know what some others in this
group think, but I would much rather book the hotel close to the terminal
and pay for my rides to and from rather than stay right at the airport. I
think if you get a decent rate near the pier it would all even out in the
end. Plus it is nice staying right near the water. You can see the ships
coming in and it is just a nicer area.

I don't know if you know where the Red Roof Inn is located but it is right
on the border of the airport property and there is not much to do around
there. I have stayed in that area on business a number of times and if
given the opportunity I would much rather stay out near the water.

I am curious to know what others think about this. The reason I ask is
because we have another couple going with us next month and they wanted to
stay near the airport but I talked them into staying with us at the
Radisson. Maybe I am wrong....any opinions?

"J" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old October 10th, 2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
-hh

J wrote:

Thanks for the replies...

I did find the Red Roof Inn does provide complimentary shuttles from
the airport to the hotel, then to the port from the hotel all
included.

FWIW, I've stayed a couple of times out at the "Blue Lagoon" Hampton
Inn, which is out at the Airport, as it has a complimetary shuttles to/
from the airport. It was a nice place and being a Hampton, it has
complimentary breakfast and free WiFi.

Don't know if they offer anything for getting to/from the pier, but
taxi's always work :-)

-hh

Old October 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I agree with you when you mention staying near the water... but in
this case, staying at the Red Roof Inn (airport location) is
beneficial since we get in at around 10PM... go to sleep, get up and
then head to the pier... so we wouldn't have a lot of time to do
anything anyways... which is good since there is not much to do near
an airport location I'd imagine.

The benefit of this is because it's about $25 for a taxi to the pier
from the airport according to MiamiDade.gov and then with a taxi from
the airport to the Red Roof, it would be about $10 after tip... so
unless I get a place for less than $65 after taxes... I'd be
indifferent.

During the in between cruises day, I pricelined a place for $50 after
taxes and imagine taxi fares are probably $10 each way... so I'd be ok
there... and we're close to the pier... probably about 3 miles away.
I think we're good for this trip.

I appreciate everyone's replies and insight.

On Oct 8, 5:41 am, "Michael" wrote:
[...]

"J" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 6, 7:46 pm, "Michael" wrote:
[...]

roups.com...

http://www.redroof.com/reservations/...um=255&VID=&NO...

After taxes, it was less than $100 for one night. Not sure if I am
better off with this since it covers two of my drives or would I be
better doing a priceline for any good place and take a cab.

I'm still looking for a hotel for the night that is in the middle of
the two cruises. I've tried Priceline and am out of my bids for the
day... I ended at $51 for a 3* and still haven't gotten it.

I was thinking if I want to stay within $70 or less for the one night,
then perhaps Coral Gables, though it is about 8 miles to the pier.- Hide quoted text -