Singapore Airline has boxes installed underneath seats

Old April 1st, 2007, 11:10 PM posted to alt.airline,alt.travel.air,alt.travel.asia,rec.travel.asia
April 2007

Default Singapore Airline has boxes installed underneath seats

I understand Singapore Airline's 747 flying between SFO and Hong Kong has
entertainment boxes under seats. Can anyone confirm exact box locations so
that we can avoid it. Thank you.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

On Apr 2, 5:10 am, "April 2007" wrote:
I understand Singapore Airline's 747 flying between SFO and Hong Kong has
entertainment boxes under seats. Can anyone confirm exact box locations so
that we can avoid it. Thank you.

???

First, the entertainment control is not under the seats. It's in the
galley.

Second, all seat have custom controls and thus some kind of box
attached.

Third, so what? Why would you want to avoid it?

Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:33 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Apr 1, 7:16 pm, "Tchiowa" wrote:
On Apr 2, 5:10 am, "April 2007" wrote:

I understand Singapore Airline's 747 flying between SFO and Hong Kong has
entertainment boxes under seats. Can anyone confirm exact box locations so
that we can avoid it. Thank you.

???

First, the entertainment control is not under the seats. It's in the
galley.

Second, all seat have custom controls and thus some kind of box
attached.

Third, so what? Why would you want to avoid it?

the radiation I am sure. OP can wear a tin foil hat to ward off the
evil rays.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:41 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

"PeterL" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 1, 7:16 pm, "Tchiowa" wrote:
On Apr 2, 5:10 am, "April 2007" wrote:

I understand Singapore Airline's 747 flying between SFO and Hong Kong
has
entertainment boxes under seats. Can anyone confirm exact box locations
so
that we can avoid it. Thank you.

???

First, the entertainment control is not under the seats. It's in the
galley.

Second, all seat have custom controls and thus some kind of box
attached.

Third, so what? Why would you want to avoid it?

the radiation I am sure. OP can wear a tin foil hat to ward off the
evil rays.

Let me try that again.

I believe the poster is referring to the shoebox sized consructions under
some aisle seats - I think only in wide bodied jets - that can impede your
leg room if you're really tall (doesn't affect me) or reduce space for a bag
if you put it under your feet. I've noticed them in recent years on TG but
don't know about other airlines.

Cheers,
George W. Russell
Bangalore

Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:47 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
RAK

"grusl" wrote in message

"PeterL" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 1, 7:16 pm, "Tchiowa" wrote:
[...]

Correct. Shoebox sizes sounds about right.
These boxes are not the actual control unit which is in the galley. I assume
they are some sort of router or wiring hub.
They do get in the way a bit on SQ 747s, but you can still get your feet
under the seat beside the box.
This topic is also in rec.travel.europe and for some reason my replies and
some others about the location of boxes but for some reason those messages
did not post here.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:05 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
April 2007

"grusl" wrote in message

"PeterL" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 1, 7:16 pm, "Tchiowa" wrote:
[...]

Eva Air, A330-200, has 6" x 12" x 6" box underneath all aisle seats. Limit
and reduce toe room to 6" max. So it Singapore Air on all 747-400, under
center aisle seats.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:45 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

On Apr 2, 11:33 am, "PeterL" wrote:
On Apr 1, 7:16 pm, "Tchiowa" wrote:

On Apr 2, 5:10 am, "April 2007" wrote:

I understand Singapore Airline's 747 flying between SFO and Hong Kong has
entertainment boxes under seats. Can anyone confirm exact box locations so
that we can avoid it. Thank you.

???

First, the entertainment control is not under the seats. It's in the
galley.

Second, all seat have custom controls and thus some kind of box
attached.

Third, so what? Why would you want to avoid it?

the radiation I am sure. OP can wear a tin foil hat to ward off the
evil rays.

Not any more. Tin foil hats are blocked by TSA.

:-)

Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Frank F. Matthews

Tchiowa wrote:
On Apr 2, 5:10 am, "April 2007" wrote:

I understand Singapore Airline's 747 flying between SFO and Hong Kong has
entertainment boxes under seats. Can anyone confirm exact box locations so
that we can avoid it. Thank you.

???

First, the entertainment control is not under the seats. It's in the
galley.

Second, all seat have custom controls and thus some kind of box
attached.

Third, so what? Why would you want to avoid it?

Not the controls but the actual equipment driving the system. I suspect
that the OP is concerned that the space being used for the equipment
under the seat ahead of him may render toe seat difficult to use since
he could be unable to shelter any of his legs under the seat as some SOB
ahead tries to crush him by reclining.
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Walt Bilofsky

A good resource is seatguru.com. It shows the good and bad seats on
most airlines and plane configurations.

It doesn't say anything about entertainment boxes on Singaport 747s
though.

For those making fun of the question, I'll recall a nasty trip from
SFO to Heathrow over a decade ago on Virgin Atlantic, with their then
novel personal entertainment systems. The electronics box took up
most of the room under the seat in front of me, cramping legroom.

Because of the limited legroom, they decreed our carry-on too large,
and we had to repack on the jetway into my daypack. With the added
contents, the agent then decreed the daypack had become too large. I
must have given him quite a look, because he hastily backed down.
However, my wife's tissues didn't make it into my daypack, and the
plane didn't have any on board. And she had a cold. It was a
memorable flight.

Anyway, underseat electronic boxes are no joke.

I didn't think that happened any more.