Economic Austerity Might Include Skrimping On Safety

Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

Default Economic Austerity Might Include Skrimping On Safety

Caveat reader: I sincerely apologize if my speculation or thinking
publicly here is in bad taste.

This is the overall point, question or issue that first came to my
mind upon reading this article.

From the reading, and together with my overall fears & cynicism, I
infer:

The pressure of the economy upon an airline (does, may, could, would)
cause it to (consciously or unconsciously) choose to "cut a corner" or
compromise

I acknowledge that (seemingly almost) everything in life has some
risk, that I (seem to) make
calculations of risk/reward continually, and presume most everybody
does.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4582094.ece

Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

Robert Cohen wrote:

Caveat reader: I sincerely apologize if my speculation or thinking
publicly here is in bad taste.

This is the overall point, question or issue that first came to my
mind upon reading this article.

This is the first time you thought about whether cost cutting would
affect safety? You're a bit behind the curve. You'd think the recent
crash in Spain on a money losing discount carrier would have woke you
up, if the years and billions of losses so far haven't given you hints.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

On Aug 22, 1:23*am, mrtravel wrote:
Robert Cohen wrote:
Caveat reader: I sincerely apologize if my speculation or thinking
publicly here is in bad taste.

This is the overall point, question or issue that first came to my
mind upon reading this article.

This is the first time you thought about whether cost cutting would
affect safety? You're a bit behind the curve. You'd think the recent
crash in Spain on a money losing discount carrier would have woke you
up, if the years and billions of losses so far haven't given you hints.

Of course it's not the first timr:

The value jet florida oxygen cannister ****e certainly influenced my
thinking as did taking a charter flight or two
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

On Aug 22, 5:18*pm, John wrote:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 07:03:20 -0700 (PDT), Robert Cohen

Robert Cohen wrote:
Caveat reader: I sincerely apologize if my speculation or thinking
publicly here is in bad taste.

This is the overall point, question or issue that first came to my
mind upon reading this article.

This is the first time you thought about whether cost cutting would
affect safety? You're a bit behind the curve. You'd think the recent
crash in Spain on a money losing discount carrier would have woke you
up, if the years and billions of losses so far haven't given you hints..

Of course it's not the first timr:

The value jet florida oxygen cannister ****e certainly influenced my
thinking as did taking a charter flight or two

Where's the connection between cost cutting and
the value jet florida oxygen canister?- Hide quoted text -

i shall herein explain reality as i subjrectively perceive it
(conceding you don't agree because i perceive by your question you
regard this as wrongly mixing-up bad maintenance & austerity)

Valujet was a succeessful discounter with a fleet of mainly DC-9s that
had been well-utilized by the time of the south Florida crash

B-t-w: Allegedly the "wiring complexity" of the DC-9 is super
difficult to maintain/repair (my source is interview with expert on
NPR)

Allegedly (my major source here is The Atlanta Constitution) VJ
contractred out some routine maintainence. Allegedly a sub-
contractor's (?) worker couldn't read English well enough. .Allegedy
some number of oxygen cannisters were not packed/stored properly for
the trip back to Atlanta from Miami. Allegedly there was a precedent:
a plane in years prior to this had crashed allegedly because of
similar oxygen cannisters. So , there were apparently actual FAA
rules regarding cannister shipment.

There were lawsuits about the issues for years afterwards

So, i've equated "poor maintenance" with "economy-austerity" measures

Thus. it's a jump, and so my conjecture violates logic.

Thank you for pointing this out