rail passes question!

Old June 24th, 2005, 11:05 PM
John Bermont

Jean S. Barto wrote:
Hi folks--

I have a question about the *fine print* of the Eurail passes. I live in
the USA and am a US citizen. I also hold a Republic of Ireland passport due
to applying for it a few years ago (my grandfather was born there and I was
able to apply for Irish citizenship based on that. So, technically I
suppose that makes me a *dual national*--however, my main residence is the
USA and I have never lived in Ireland

When I go to Europe next spring I'd like to travel on my Irish passport. Am
I able to use a Eurail pass while using an EU passport? I'm not really sure
how long I'll be in Europe, but would be 2 to 3 months, maybe more--but
perhaps not enough time to be in Europe long enough to establish residency
anywhere there. Im asking this question because I havent seen it addresed
anywhere else.

Thanks,

Jean in VA

I don't know if anybody above asked the obvious: Why would you want to
travel on an Irish passport since you are an American and hold a USA
passport?

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old June 25th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Miguel Cruz

Hatunen wrote:
John Bermont wrote:
I don't know if anybody above asked the obvious: Why would you want to
travel on an Irish passport since you are an American and hold a USA
passport?

Among other possible reasons, it would permit you to stay in
Europe as long as you liked.

Didn't the OP say they were only going to be in Europe for 2-3 months? I
think they just thought it would be neat-o to use a European passport.

miguel

Old June 25th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Juliana L Holm

In rec.travel.europe Hatunen wrote:
All of the rail passes I have purchased have had my passport number on
them. It is written in by the agency selling the pass.

Odd, that. When I bought our Eurailpasses over the Web from
www.railpass.com they didn't have our passport numbers on them. I
don't believe we even had our passports then, and I know they
didn't ask for them. Perhaps if you buy them over the counter?

I cannot vouch for Eurail as I have never used them. I have, however, used
German Rail passes which I got with no passport number on them. The first
time I used them, they put the passport number on them.

--
Julie
**********
Old June 25th, 2005, 04:01 AM
S Viemeister

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Hatunen wrote:
John Bermont wrote:
I don't know if anybody above asked the obvious: Why would you want to
travel on an Irish passport since you are an American and hold a USA
passport?

Among other possible reasons, it would permit you to stay in
Europe as long as you liked.

Didn't the OP say they were only going to be in Europe for 2-3 months? I
think they just thought it would be neat-o to use a European passport.

It also can save time at Immigration.
Old June 25th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Jean S. Barto

I want to use the Irish passport now that I have it, and like others have
said, an EU passport saves time when I would be going through immigration
checks--and, although I anticipate having a shorter trip, I could also
decide to stay longer--and the EU passport would help in that instance.

I guess there is no legal way to get around taking the US passport with
me--since I am supposed to enter and leave the US on it--and then also for
on the train in case they want to see it in conjunction with my rail pass.

Jean in VA

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Old June 25th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Hatunen

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:46:19 +0000 (UTC), Juliana L Holm
wrote:

In rec.travel.europe Hatunen wrote:
All of the rail passes I have purchased have had my passport number on
them. It is written in by the agency selling the pass.

Odd, that. When I bought our Eurailpasses over the Web from
www.railpass.com they didn't have our passport numbers on them. I
don't believe we even had our passports then, and I know they
didn't ask for them. Perhaps if you buy them over the counter?

I cannot vouch for Eurail as I have never used them. I have, however, used
German Rail passes which I got with no passport number on them. The first
time I used them, they put the passport number on them.

Huh. The German rail passes are available to all comers so why
would a passport even be necessary?

Old June 25th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Lennart Petersen

wrote:

In rec.travel.europe Hatunen wrote:
All of the rail passes I have purchased have had my passport number on
them. It is written in by the agency selling the pass.

Odd, that. When I bought our Eurailpasses over the Web from
www.railpass.com they didn't have our passport numbers on them. I
don't believe we even had our passports then, and I know they
didn't ask for them. Perhaps if you buy them over the counter?

I cannot vouch for Eurail as I have never used them. I have, however,
used
German Rail passes which I got with no passport number on them. The first
time I used them, they put the passport number on them.

Huh. The German rail passes are available to all comers so why
would a passport even be necessary?

-------------
It's personal and sold only to people permanently residing outside Europe.
Thus it must have the holders name and passport number (eventually an ID)
The similar thing for Europeans is "EuroDomino Germany", not available for
German residents thus a name and passport or ID is required for use.

Old June 25th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Jean S. Barto wrote:
Thanks for the advice, everyone--guess I'll have to carry both passports
with me during my trip, and be prepared to present my US passport on the
train as required--and use the Irish passport at passport control (whichever
ones are left) as required.

You must have your real passport with you anyway, because if you are a US
citizen (even if you are also a citizen of some other country) holding a US
passport it is illegal to enter the US by showing any other passport.

"Real" passport. Irish passports are real passports, too. You're
correct that the holder must have a US passport in order to return to
the US, but you could have probably used a better word other than
"real".