Oregon

Old October 10th, 2003, 05:47 PM
adjgiulio

Default Oregon

After my first trip to the US south-west last summer, I'm really in love
with the great nature of the west. We hiked wonderful parks as Yosemite,
Sequoia, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands and Grand Canyon and the
one month long on the road around California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona was
the best trip of our life.
Next year I'd like to do something similir around the north-west area. I
just got some travel guides by the Oregon state. It looks full of wonderful
things to do but the best thing, I think, is to ask directly to people who
has already visited this area. So, I've some question if you don't mind.
I saw some beautiful photo of some monolith nearby Cannon Beach. Is this
kind of rocks common all around the Oregon coast? I've been impressed by the
beauty of the Californian coast driving along the CA-1 scenic byway. Is the
Oregon part of the US-101 as beautiful as the CA-1? Is there some part of
this hwy much better than the other?
I also saw some map describing scenic byways tours in the lakes area. Are
these trips whorthy?
I read that the Crater Lake NP offers amazing views. Which kind of
activities (hiking, scenic driving...) is it possible to do there? Which
other natural beauty do you suggest me to visit in Oregon? Which is the best
season to enjoy this state?

Thanks to all

Giulio

Old October 10th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Peter L

Oregon is a beautiful state. If you have the time, definitely include both
northwest states (Oregon and Washington) in your iternary. The Oregon
coastline is very beautiful, personally I think more so than the California
coast line. The Crater Lake area is great for hiking.

Old October 10th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Don Howe

"adjgiulio" wrote in message
[...]

A very good book to get for a real guide to Oregon is 'Oregon for the
Curious'. It comes in two sizes - the 'BIG hard bound copy and a smaller
6" x 9" soft cover. It is written by Ralph Friedman and is printed by 'The
Caxton Printers L:td.' in Caldwell Idaho.

Internatiional Standard Bood Numbeer 0-87005-222-X
Library of Congress Catalog Number 7-151057

It supplies descriptions of the major tourist centers you want to see as
well as the interesting quaint towns and their history plus the natural
scenes reached only by the remote backroads. Current and historical info, by
section, for the complete State.

One of the very useful facets of this book is that as well as being an
excellent guide it shows, to the tenth of a mile, the distances to each
feature on the many hi-ways and back roads. All the while describing the
distances to the points of interest to keep an eye out for along the way.
It is written in a very informal descriptive style that is interesting
reading as well as informative.

We have gone back numerous times to Oregon and our copy of the current
printing of 'Oregon for the Curious' is always open in the passenger's hand.

We have never had a problem getting a current edition at any travel/book
store in Oregon.

Enjoy!