A research in Australia or NZ

Old November 1st, 2004, 04:23 AM
Peter

In article , ed says...
I would suggest Australia in this case because it is a much more isolated
country and you could easily find groups of aboriginals who still live
traditionally as much as possible.

Redfern is as good an exemplar of the traditional way as any other
location, all the better for being convenient.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 01:14 AM
AC

Yes, there is a big difference between AUS & NZ. But since you're an
anthropologist, I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise for you. Why not visit
both, and form your own opinion?

"Caro" wrote in message
Hello,

It's the first time I come on this newsgroup.
I'm a french student in anthropology, and I would like to study about
Australia.
I would like to know if it's easy to come in the country for a student
who is making a research, if life is expensive out there... etc.
Is there a big difference between NZ and Australia?
Wich one is better to your opinion for someone like me?

Thank you for your advice!

Caro.

---

Old November 8th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Caro

AC a écrit :
Yes, there is a big difference between AUS & NZ. But since you're an
anthropologist, I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise for you. Why not visit
both, and form your own opinion?

From France it is, as you know it, a long way to Australia!...
So I would like to know if it would be interesting for me to think about
a future travel, a future study.

I thought about New Zealand because of the landscape (it's a bit
ridiculous to say that, but let's be honest). My vision is a wild
country and maybe some old tribes, but I know maybe it's not the truth.
That's why I'd like to know more about these countries.

Caro.

Old November 8th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Peter

In article , Caro says...
AC a =E9crit :
Yes, there is a big difference between AUS & NZ. But since you're an
anthropologist, I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise for you. Why not =

visit
both, and form your own opinion?

=20
From France it is, as you know it, a long way to Australia!...
So I would like to know if it would be interesting for me to think about=

=20
a future travel, a future study.
=20
I thought about New Zealand because of the landscape (it's a bit=20
ridiculous to say that, but let's be honest). My vision is a wild=20
country and maybe some old tribes, but I know maybe it's not the truth.=

=20

Just how old? Human settlement in New Zealand is fairly recent. If you=20
want Maori living in the manner of pre-European contact, you are smack=20
out of luck - all you will see are canned cultural displays at places=20
like Rotorua.

If you want something like Whale Rider, where Maori struggle with the=20
loss of the ancestral ways in a new world, then you will have more luck.=20
Maori are proud of their heritage and will present it enthusiastically=20
when given a chance, but they aren't stupid - they prefer living with=20
modern conveniences and of course that alters lifestyle.

That's why I'd like to know more about these countries.

You want scenery, go to New Zealand. You want tribal living, ancient=20
rituals, alien chants, primitive culture, hunting and gathering, go to=20
England and watch the football.