Drive Time from St. Thomas to St. John

Old March 5th, 2004, 05:55 PM
OJ

Default Drive Time from St. Thomas to St. John

Hi there,

What's the drive time if renting at the port, from St. Thomas over to Trunk Bay?

That's it! Thanks.

oj
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Juliana L Holm

OJ wrote:
Hi there,

What's the drive time if renting at the port, from St. Thomas over to Trunk Bay?

You cannot drive to Trunk Bay. St. John and St. Thomas are two different
Islands with water, and no bridge, between them.

Generally cars rented on St. Thomas are not allowed to be driven on St. John
and vice versa, though not always.

There is a car ferry between the two, but it does not have a lot of crossings,
and is not designed to be convenient to cruise ship passengers. But it is
do-able, so if you rent a car in St. Thomas, you need to make sure you can take
it then you drive to red hook (about 20-30 minutes) and grab the 10:00 ferry
which takes about 45 minutes. Then it will be about 15 minutes to red hook.

It is much faster to take taxi/ferry to St. John and either take a taxi to
red hook or rent a car there. And it is certainly cheaper.

Best way to do this is to grab the ferry in Charlotte Amalie (if your boat
gets in in time, the ferry leaves at 9 AM) or red hook (every hour on the hour)
to which you take a cab.

Ferry Schedule is at

http://www.st-thomas.com/week/ferries.html

Hope this helps
--
Julie
**********
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:55 PM
OJ

Juliana L Holm wrote in message ...
OJ wrote:
Hi there,

What's the drive time if renting at the port, from St. Thomas over to Trunk Bay?

You cannot drive to Trunk Bay. St. John and St. Thomas are two different
Islands with water, and no bridge, between them.

Generally cars rented on St. Thomas are not allowed to be driven on St. John
and vice versa, though not always.

There is a car ferry between the two, but it does not have a lot of crossings,
and is not designed to be convenient to cruise ship passengers. But it is
do-able, so if you rent a car in St. Thomas, you need to make sure you can take
it then you drive to red hook (about 20-30 minutes) and grab the 10:00 ferry
which takes about 45 minutes. Then it will be about 15 minutes to red hook.

It is much faster to take taxi/ferry to St. John and either take a taxi to
red hook or rent a car there. And it is certainly cheaper.

Hi,

Do you mean a passenger only ferry here? How often do they leave?
'Cause otherwise, I don't see how it would be faster.

We thought it would be fun to drive ourselves around, but want to
snorkel somewhere nice. Any suggestions on St. Thomas?

Thanks for the info. Is Red Hook where Trunk Bay is?

oj

Old March 6th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Tom & Linda

"OJ" wrote in message
m...
Do you mean a passenger only ferry here? How often do they leave?

'Cause otherwise, I don't see how it would be faster.

We thought it would be fun to drive ourselves around, but want to
snorkel somewhere nice. Any suggestions on St. Thomas?

Thanks for the info. Is Red Hook where Trunk Bay is?

From the top...

Trunk Bay is on the island of St. John. It's about 5-10 miles away from the
Island of St. Thomas.

To get there you do the following:

Take a taxi from the ship to the town of Red Hook. Red Hook is on the
eastern end of St. Thomas. It's about a 25 minute ride. Ferries leave on
the hour from Red Hook to Cruz Bay, St. John. The ferry ride takes 20
minutes. Return ferries also leave on the hour. Ferries do not take cars,
only people. So you can't rent a car and take it across the channel.

Once on St. John, it'a about a 5 minute taxi ride to Trunk Bay.

--Tom

Old March 6th, 2004, 05:11 AM

If you have an AQUACAR it would take about a half hour !

BILL

Old March 7th, 2004, 12:54 AM
HDawson228

This should help the discussion. Yes there is a car ferry.

http://www.usvi.net/usvi/ferry.htm
http://www.usvi.net/usvi/stj.html
Old March 7th, 2004, 03:08 PM
OJ

(HDawson228) wrote in message ...
This should help the discussion. Yes there is a car ferry.

http://www.usvi.net/usvi/ferry.htm
http://www.usvi.net/usvi/stj.html

Hi,

Thanks. I knew there was a car ferry, just didn't know the details.
That helps alot.

Thanks for the aquacar tip too.:P

oj
Old March 7th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Charles

In article , OJ
wrote:

Thanks. I knew there was a car ferry, just didn't know the details.
That helps alot.

I advise against the car ferry. A better idea is to take the ferry at
Red Hook and rent a jeep on St. John.

--
Charles
Old March 7th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Tom & Linda

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , OJ
wrote:

Thanks. I knew there was a car ferry, just didn't know the details.
That helps alot.

I advise against the car ferry. A better idea is to take the ferry at
Red Hook and rent a jeep on St. John.

All the times I've gone there, I've never seen a car ferry. All I've ever
seen was a flat bed boat taking things (like cars) from one island to the
island. But it's nothing like a ferry. It's a cargo boat that can hold
maybe one car and other freight.

If there really is a car ferry, I haven't seen it.

--Tom