A research in Australia or NZ

Old October 24th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Peter

In article , Caro says...
Peter a =E9crit :
Never were. You might as well say that the place is full of pakehas.

=20
That's slang?
It's fun for everyone but me, cause it's not in my dictionary!!!...
:-D

Maori words don't have the same plural forms as English words.

One Maori, two Maori, many Maori.
One sheep, two sheep, a million sheep.

Pakeha is the Maori name for non-Maori folk.
Old October 24th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Caro

Peter a écrit :
but they don't really mind
losing to us 32:12

Oh man I think you're looking for troubles?...
If you said that in France, you would be beaten to death in a stadium...

:-D lol

Caro.

Old October 24th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Peter

In article , Caro says...
Is "australian" very far from English? As far/farther than "american"?
That's a question I should have asked before ;-)

English seems to be converging on American usage now, following the
weight of cultural imperialism. Australian is perhaps midway between UK
English and US English. We use British spellings such as "colour" rather
than "color" but many British idioms are losing their currency here.

You'll have trouble with slang and subtleties, as we have seen, but if
in doubt, ask.

Pierre

Old October 24th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Peter

In article , Caro says...
Peter a =E9crit :
but they don't really mind=20
losing to us 32:12

=20
Oh man I think you're looking for troubles?...
If you said that in France, you would be beaten to death in a stadium...

Only joking. New Zealanders take their rugby very seriously, and the=20
whole nation is probably in deep mourning. If there's one thing they=20
hate worse than being beaten by us, I don't know what it is.

I'll insert a plug for my book here. I wrote a book earlier this year on=20
my travels in New Zealand, and I go into the relationship between our=20
two countries to some extent. It's self-published on Lulu and you can=20
download a copy for free at http://www.lulu.com/content/56751

I'm actually a big fan of New Zealand. It's a gem of a country.

Pete
Old October 24th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Peter

In article , Caro says...
Peter a =E9crit :
but they don't really mind=20
losing to us 32:12

=20

Old October 24th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Alan

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 08:45:39 +1000, Peter
wrote:

In article , Caro says...
Peter a écrit :
Asking an Australian about New Zealanders and sheep is asking for
trouble. Depends how interesting you want your thesis to be, I suppose.

Because shephers are only found in NZ, not in Australia?

No, Australia has more sheep. We're just not as sheepish about it.

Pete,

I can't really see the weigth of the stupid thing I said yet! Is it
really something that makes people angry about?

On the contrary. Australians are happy to talk about Kiwis and sheep
until the cows come home.

Sorry. I shouldn't torture you so. There is a running joke in Australia
that New Zealanders (known as Kiwis) have relations with sheep. This is
because sheep are highly visible in New Zealand and people aren't.

Of course the truth is that most New Zealanders are quite innocent of
this practice.

This minor point aside, the relationsheep between Australians and Kiwis
could best be described as La Belle Alliance.

Pete, who knows his Quatre Bras

Hi Pete

Um, "most" New Zealanders?
Interesting method of "calming things down":-)

Cheers, Alan
Old October 24th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Alan

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 08:45:39 +1000, Peter

Old October 24th, 2004, 02:17 AM
AlmostBob

"Alan" wrote in message
| On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 08:45:39 +1000, Peter
| wrote:
|
| In article , Caro says...
| Peter a écrit :
| Asking an Australian about New Zealanders and sheep is asking for
| trouble. Depends how interesting you want your thesis to be, I
suppose.

| Because shephers are only found in NZ, not in Australia?
|
| No, Australia has more sheep. We're just not as sheepish about it.
|
| Pete,
|
| I can't really see the weigth of the stupid thing I said yet! Is it
| really something that makes people angry about?
|
| On the contrary. Australians are happy to talk about Kiwis and sheep
| until the cows come home.
|
| Sorry. I shouldn't torture you so. There is a running joke in Australia
| that New Zealanders (known as Kiwis) have relations with sheep. This is
| because sheep are highly visible in New Zealand and people aren't.
|
| Of course the truth is that most New Zealanders are quite innocent of
| this practice.
|
| This minor point aside, the relationsheep between Australians and Kiwis
| could best be described as La Belle Alliance.
|
| Pete, who knows his Quatre Bras
|
| Hi Pete
|
| Um, "most" New Zealanders?
| Interesting method of "calming things down":-)
|

| Cheers, Alan
| --

Of Course 'most',, nearly 60%

;)