Temporary luggage storage at O'Hare?

Old November 30th, 2005, 04:44 PM posted to chi.general,rec.travel.air

Default Temporary luggage storage at O'Hare?

[one ng added]

Geoff Gass wrote:
: RPS wrote:
: Do you know if the Blue Line trains run on any reduced schedule on
: Sundays?
: It's less than weekdays or saturdays, but it's 10 minutes between from
: 6:40A to 10:30P, so not too bad.

Yes, not bad indeed. Thanks for the info.

If you happen to know, is there a (paid) luggage storage facility at
O'Hare? I know some cities have it but I don't recall seeing any signs
at ORD.

If there was, it would be convenient in certain situation. For example
some friends flying from West Coast to Europe will take a one day
stopover to see us. They could manage with one small bag and would not
need to haul four heavy suitcases back and forth, if ORD provides such
storage. I used such facility at LHR (London Heathrow) during a
similar stopover myself and it was extremely convenient.
Old November 30th, 2005, 05:08 PM posted to chi.general,rec.travel.air

In article , RPS
wrote:

If you happen to know, is there a (paid) luggage storage facility at
O'Hare?

The ****?

You serious?

You can't even find a US Post Office mail box anywhere but behind
airport security.

Look as you drive up....see any trash cans?
Old November 30th, 2005, 06:27 PM posted to chi.general,rec.travel.air

kenji wrote:

: You can't even find a US Post Office mail box anywhere but behind
: airport security.

It would certainly have been reasonable if the storage facility had
security, x-ray screening etc before accepting a bag, that's how I
remember it being done in other places. It would have been convenient,
but I take it from your answer and from my own memory that such
facility is not offered.

My non-pc guess is that in the USA they are allergic to providing
services that require human beings. If it could be done by swiping a
credit card at an automated locker, we would have it. But security
screenings means having 1-2 human employees and that's no-go.
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:14 PM posted to chi.general,rec.travel.air

In article , RPS
wrote:

kenji wrote:

: You can't even find a US Post Office mail box anywhere but behind
: airport security.

It would certainly have been reasonable if the storage facility had
security, x-ray screening etc before accepting a bag, that's how I
remember it being done in other places. It would have been convenient,
but I take it from your answer and from my own memory that such
facility is not offered.

My non-pc guess is that in the USA they are allergic to providing
services that require human beings. If it could be done by swiping a
credit card at an automated locker, we would have it. But security
screenings means having 1-2 human employees and that's no-go.

you sound like a psycho
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:14 AM posted to chi.general,rec.travel.air

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:44:29 GMT RPS wrote:

:If you happen to know, is there a (paid) luggage storage facility at
:O'Hare? I know some cities have it but I don't recall seeing any signs
:at ORD.

:If there was, it would be convenient in certain situation. For example
:some friends flying from West Coast to Europe will take a one day
:stopover to see us. They could manage with one small bag and would not
:need to haul four heavy suitcases back and forth, if ORD provides such
:storage. I used such facility at LHR (London Heathrow) during a
:similar stopover myself and it was extremely convenient.

An option is to "forget" to pick up the bag and get it the next day. Will
probably not be a problem for one day.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old December 1st, 2005, 12:47 AM posted to chi.general,rec.travel.air

In article , RPS wrote:
kenji wrote:

: You can't even find a US Post Office mail box anywhere but behind
: airport security.

It would certainly have been reasonable if the storage facility had
security, x-ray screening etc before accepting a bag, that's how I
remember it being done in other places. It would have been convenient,
but I take it from your answer and from my own memory that such
facility is not offered.

My non-pc guess is that in the USA they are allergic to providing
services that require human beings. If it could be done by swiping a
credit card at an automated locker, we would have it. But security
screenings means having 1-2 human employees and that's no-go.

Human beings steal. It would be foolish to leave one's luggage with them,
especially in a big city. Maybe somewhere in rural nebraska it would work.

Old December 1st, 2005, 12:13 PM posted to chi.general,rec.travel.air

Brent P wrote:

: Human beings steal. It would be foolish to leave one's luggage
: with them, especially in a big city. Maybe somewhere in rural
: nebraska it would work.

Works well in such big cities as London, Tokyo, and Bombay. A licensed
service shouldn't be any riskier than say giving your luggage to an
airline. I would use the same precautions too, like not packing
anything valuable. They can use the same precautions as well, like
x-ray screeing or even hand inspection if something looks suspicious.
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:16 PM posted to chi.general,rec.travel.air

Binyamin Dissen wrote:

: An option is to "forget" to pick up the bag and get it the next day.
: Will probably not be a problem for one day.

Great idea, I have to remember it. :-)
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:19 PM posted to chi.general,rec.travel.air

In chi.general RPS wrote:
kenji wrote:

: You can't even find a US Post Office mail box anywhere but behind
: airport security.

It would certainly have been reasonable if the storage facility had
security, x-ray screening etc before accepting a bag, that's how I
remember it being done in other places. It would have been convenient,
but I take it from your answer and from my own memory that such
facility is not offered.

My non-pc guess is that in the USA they are allergic to providing
services that require human beings. If it could be done by swiping a
credit card at an automated locker, we would have it. But security
screenings means having 1-2 human employees and that's no-go.

We tried using a junk storage service at a train station in poland last year. The people running the counters were complete assholes. I cannot imagine anybody who has to haul garbage from a counter to a pile of junk is going to be all that pleasant.
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:20 PM posted to chi.general,rec.travel.air

In chi.general RPS wrote:
Brent P wrote:

: Human beings steal. It would be foolish to leave one's luggage
: with them, especially in a big city. Maybe somewhere in rural
: nebraska it would work.

Works well in such big cities as London, Tokyo, and Bombay. A licensed
service shouldn't be any riskier than say giving your luggage to an
airline. I would use the same precautions too, like not packing
anything valuable. They can use the same precautions as well, like
x-ray screeing or even hand inspection if something looks suspicious.

Has anybody ever found any "threat" with an x-ray machine?