Aborigines and Maoris

Old May 25th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Tok Shou Hsien

Default Aborigines and Maoris

Hello,
I am interested in visiting and hopefully staying with both the
Aborogines and Maoris, and see them go about in their daily lives and
participate in them if possible. I know that permits are required to enter
some of their lands. Hence, does anyone know of trustworthy travel agents
who can arrange this? For Australia, I managed to visit some websites but
they seem too commercial. Either the trips are too short, or too expensive,
and does not show much of the lives of the people. And for New Zealand, my
search turned out nothing at all.
So, if you can provide any information at all, it will be very much
appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Shou Wee

Old May 25th, 2004, 10:37 AM
A Mate

You're on sensitive turf there!! Both Aborigines (near Cairns) and Maori
(Rotorua and elsewhere) offer opportunities to sample their culture - but
living on a Marae or within an Aboriginal Reserve are not a commercial
thing. You could be invited to stay on either if you are genuine friends of
a family - but to the best of my knowledge there are no commercial or
tourist opportunities.

Old May 25th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , A Mate at
wrote on 5/25/04 6:37 AM:

You're on sensitive turf there!! Both Aborigines (near Cairns) and Maori
(Rotorua and elsewhere) offer opportunities to sample their culture - but
living on a Marae or within an Aboriginal Reserve are not a commercial
thing. You could be invited to stay on either if you are genuine friends of
a family - but to the best of my knowledge there are no commercial or
tourist opportunities.

"Tok Shou Hsien" wrote in message
Hello,
I am interested in visiting and hopefully staying with both the
Aborogines and Maoris, and see them go about in their daily lives and
participate in them if possible. I know that permits are required to enter
some of their lands. Hence, does anyone know of trustworthy travel agents
who can arrange this? For Australia,

You're also talking about, in the case of Australia, several hundred
different tribes and cultures which can be as different as Tibet and Toledo.
Get a narrower grasp on what you are hoping to accomplish.

For my dime, it's a worthwhile eye-opener in every sense to try to access
some of the communities, and not just the "easy" areas with high aboriginal
populations (Alice, etc.). Some are just plain CLOSED, and respect that
just as you wouldn't want someone using your back yard for a shortcut. But
you will see wonderful, and shocking things.

No matter what you do, you will not even scratch the surface. Professor
Strehlow spent decades on very specific tribes and areas, and knew more than
any white man before or since: which was to recognize how much more there
was to know.

Do a google on Hindmarsh Dam and you will see how byzantine that can become.

Old May 26th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Tok Shou Hsien

Hello,
Thank you so much. Learnt a lesson today.

swtok

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BCD8D7B4.23D3F%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...
in article , A Mate at

Old May 27th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Mike McBain

"Tok Shou Hsien" writes:

I am interested in visiting and hopefully staying with both the
Aborogines and Maoris, and see them go about in their daily lives and
participate in them if possible. I know that permits are required to enter
some of their lands. Hence, does anyone know of trustworthy travel agents
who can arrange this? For Australia, I managed to visit some websites but
they seem too commercial. Either the trips are too short, or too expensive,
and does not show much of the lives of the people. And for New Zealand, my
search turned out nothing at all.

Try www.djalu.com for Arnhem Land, Australia. Probably the most famous
didjeridoo maker in the world lives there.