Up to your ash in problems....

Old April 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Default Up to your ash in problems....

Lots and lots of people are missing their ships in Europe because of the
ban on flying due to volcanic ash from the Volcano in Iceland. Italy
has now stopped all flights... leaving much of Europe without air
service of any kind.

Travel Guard sent out a press release saying that this trip delay is
covered on all policies bought before April 13.

All in all, people seem to be taking it well... realizing that a volcano
eruption isn't anyone's fault. Still, I know I'd be terribly
disappointed if I had been planning a European vacation or cruise only
to have it canceled because of this.

Insurance can recover the money but not the disappointment.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster
Old April 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 4/17/10 8:05 AM, George Leppla wrote:
Lots and lots of people are missing their ships in Europe because of the
ban on flying due to volcanic ash from the Volcano in Iceland. Italy has
now stopped all flights... leaving much of Europe without air service of
any kind.

Travel Guard sent out a press release saying that this trip delay is
covered on all policies bought before April 13.

All in all, people seem to be taking it well... realizing that a volcano
eruption isn't anyone's fault. Still, I know I'd be terribly
disappointed if I had been planning a European vacation or cruise only
to have it canceled because of this.

Insurance can recover the money but not the disappointment.

Wonder if the QM2 is seeing any extra passengers, from the
"transportation" standpoint rather than the "vacation" standpoint?

What goes around, comes around... just like the old days... as the only
regularly scheduled ocean liner doing crossings, at least for some
places, once again, it's "THE ONLY WAY TO CROSS".

--Tom
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:35:10 -0400, Tom K
wrote:

Wonder if the QM2 is seeing any extra passengers, from the
"transportation" standpoint rather than the "vacation" standpoint?

Hi Tom,

The QM2 was already sold out for the next 2 cruises. I had clients
that tried to book as an alternative way to get across the pond.
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

wrote:

Wonder if the QM2 is seeing any extra passengers, from the
"transportation" standpoint rather than the "vacation" standpoint?

Hi Tom,

The QM2 was already sold out for the next 2 cruises. I had clients
that tried to book as an alternative way to get across the pond.
--
Ray Goldenberg

Just thinking out loud... I bet a lot of people who have QM2 booked
won't be able to get to the other side via air (either at the beginning
or end of the crossing)... so I bet there will be a lot of last second
cancellations and availability if you show up at the pier (assuming they
can accommodate you last second if others cancel). Since this is an
emergency situation, maybe they can.

--Tom
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:14:47 -0400, Tom K
wrote:

Just thinking out loud... I bet a lot of people who have QM2 booked
won't be able to get to the other side via air (either at the beginning
or end of the crossing)... so I bet there will be a lot of last second
cancellations and availability if you show up at the pier (assuming they
can accommodate you last second if others cancel). Since this is an
emergency situation, maybe they can.

Hi Tom,

You are correct. I know of a friend who is due to leave Miami on a
flight to London this Thursday. His plans are in jeopardy and may
open up a cabin for someone who would like to come to the US on the
QM2.
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"Tom K" wrote in message
[...]

No question it would be a great way to get from someplace to someplace else,
but one would have to have an amazingly flexible schedule for your cancelled
flight be replaced by the queen. Nice dream, Tom.

Harry Cooper

Old April 17th, 2010, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 4/17/10 12:39 PM, Seehorse Video wrote:
"Tom wrote in message
[...]

I read that the last time the same volcano had an eruption, it lasted
one year. Imaging the turmoil if that happened again this time.
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:39:23 -0400, "Seehorse Video"
wrote:

"Tom K" wrote in message

Wonder if the QM2 is seeing any extra passengers, from the
"transportation" standpoint rather than the "vacation" standpoint?

What goes around, comes around... just like the old days... as the only
regularly scheduled ocean liner doing crossings, at least for some places,
once again, it's "THE ONLY WAY TO CROSS".

--Tom

No question it would be a great way to get from someplace to someplace else,
but one would have to have an amazingly flexible schedule for your cancelled
flight be replaced by the queen. Nice dream, Tom.

What's the alternative for homeward-bound passengers? Which would you
rather do, sit in the airport for a week waiting for your flight to
finally take off, or cross on the QM2?

Old April 18th, 2010, 01:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Tom K
wrote:

I read that the last time the same volcano had an eruption, it lasted
one year. Imaging the turmoil if that happened again this time.

It surely could last for months. Lucky they have a rail network in
Europe that is great for travel within Europe. But I expect they will
start flying again if the eruption continues. They will fly at higher
or lower altitudes than the ash cloud.

--
Charles
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gadget World

Default Covering the cruise lines Ash

Yes, this is a very interesting record year for natural events like
floods, hurricanes, record cold and snowfall, earthquakes, volcano
eruptions, and other disasters of nature.

The last time this Icelandic volcano erupted it lasted five years!

It looks like a safe investment may be in ground and sea transport and
away from air transport, but cruises are so dependent on air
travel that the cruise industry could be seriously
affected this year.

Perhaps, the cruise lines that still have some of there ships in the US
now may wish to cancel a couple of their trans-atlantics, and
consolidate the passengers who can get to Europe on to the ships that
have already on their way to Europe?

If there is a prolonged disruption of air travel to Europe from the
North America and elsewhere they will have fewer beds to fill, locally
by Europeans at give-away prices and they can always fill ships at US
home ports, even if the domestic flights in north America are also
affected.

Too bad George Bush is still not President, as
he would be blame for these natural disasters as he was blamed for
everything else!

Gadget