Sicily in December

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default Sicily in December

We are travelling for two weeks between Xmas and New Year to Sicily. The
weather will not be at its best, because usually the winter is the rainy
season there. The southern coast supposedly is more dry, but also less
interesting I heard.

I guess it won't make much sense visiting the islands, would it?

And I also guess we should stick to the coastal areas, because the
interior will probably be colder/rainier?

Can somebody give me some tips regarding the itinerary? Personally I'm
interested in photography, but my wife and the kids will be with me, so
it won't be all churches and historical places. We also need to build
places where the kids (4 and 8) can play and relax. And the wife likes
to shop.

By the way, which would be the naturally most scenic places? Is the Etna
accessible in winter?

Forgot to mention, we are flying in and out of Catania and are renting a
car.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:01:16 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

We are travelling for two weeks between Xmas and New Year to Sicily. The
weather will not be at its best, because usually the winter is the rainy
season there. The southern coast supposedly is more dry, but also less
interesting I heard.

Although the weather is unpredictable, the chances are great that you
will enjoy mild and sunny days in Sicily.

http://www.gotaormina.com/it/taormin..._taormina.html

Expect blooming mimosas, pistachio trees, Christmas carols, new year
fireworks, and the finest Italian dishes.

To be seen: Nebrodi, Nicosia, Pozillo lake, Caltagirone (ceramics),
Modica.

Old November 10th, 2012, 02:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:01:16 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

Can somebody give me some tips regarding the itinerary? Personally I'm
interested in photography, but my wife and the kids will be with me, so
it won't be all churches and historical places. We also need to build
places where the kids (4 and 8) can play and relax. And the wife likes
to shop.

Living cribs:

http://www.eventiturismo365.it/en/ri...e-vivente.html

http://www.eventiesagre.it/Presepi_P...e+Vivente.html

http://www.presepeviventedicustonaci...ew/default.asp
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

Oooh! I almost missed this actual travel posting! I visited Sicily in
very early spring, so I can't comment on winter, but there are certainly
many photographic possibilities. My own interests are heavily historical,
not shopping, and I wasn't traveling with children, but Sicily has many
kinds of attractions 8-)
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Paul Aubrin says...
Living cribs:

http://www.eventiturismo365.it/en/ri...e-vivente.html

http://www.eventiesagre.it/Presepi_P...e+Vivente.html

http://www.presepeviventedicustonaci...ew/default.asp

Ah... ok, that is something to think about. Thanks for the tip.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Paul Aubrin says...
Although the weather is unpredictable, the chances are great that you
will enjoy mild and sunny days in Sicily.

http://www.gotaormina.com/it/taormin..._taormina.html

Expect blooming mimosas, pistachio trees, Christmas carols, new year
fireworks, and the finest Italian dishes.

To be seen: Nebrodi, Nicosia, Pozillo lake, Caltagirone (ceramics),
Modica.

Thanks for the tips. With two weeks of time, should we loop once around
the coast or what other itinerary should be take?
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
dumbstruck

when i was there in early spring, the schoolkids realy enjoyed the parks in palermo, such as the english garden and the pay botanical garden. also they enjoyed the cefalu shoreline walk, or rather watching people like me almost getting swept away from the high waves there at the time.i teased the kiddie spectators by for instance crossing bridges at the rare moment they werent engulfed by water... i think they were cheering the waves to soak me.
Old November 11th, 2012, 02:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Paul Aubrin wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:01:16 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

We are travelling for two weeks between Xmas and New Year to Sicily. The
weather will not be at its best, because usually the winter is the rainy
season there. The southern coast supposedly is more dry, but also less
interesting I heard.

Although the weather is unpredictable, the chances are great that you
will enjoy mild and sunny days in Sicily.

http://www.gotaormina.com/it/taormin..._taormina.html

Expect blooming mimosas, pistachio trees, Christmas carols, new year
fireworks, and the finest Italian dishes.

To be seen: Nebrodi, Nicosia, Pozillo lake, Caltagirone (ceramics),
Modica.

I liked antiquities like Agrigento but also Ragusa and Siracusa.

This site shows decent weather in Palermo.

http://www.thebesttimetovisit.com/we...icherville.php
Old November 12th, 2012, 09:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012, Alfred Molon wrote:

We are travelling for two weeks between Xmas and New Year to Sicily.
The weather will not be at its best, because usually the winter is the
rainy ...

I guess the weather will be sort of a lottery. It could be substantially
warmer than here in the north (I had a colleague from Palermo that
carried an overcoat only when he came to Milan ... and he usually forgot
it here) if you are lucky, but if it gets colder, it will be
"effectively" colder because they have poor heating, and limited heating
time during the day (this was the impression of a colleague who once did
a vacation in Sicily around New Year in a bad weather year).

I guess it won't make much sense visiting the islands, would it?

WHICH islands ? Eolie ? Egadi ? Ustica ? Pantelleria ? Lampedusa ? I
guess the latter three will be too far (by sea) for you. Egadi are
possibly closer to the coast, but are at the opposite side of Sicily
(in front of Trapani). Eolie (the only ones I know personally) are
worth a visit, but connections will be interrupted in case of rough sea
(it happened to me in September, we had to spend one night on the
mainland coast). Also I do not think there are car ferries connections.

Can somebody give me some tips regarding the itinerary? Personally I'm
interested in photography, but my wife and the kids will be with me,
so it won't be all churches and historical places.

Since you are landing in Catania, you should of course visit Taormina
(scenery + archaeology) and Siracusa (archaeology and nice museum). Up
to you how far to go on the northern coast (beach landscape near
Tindari, cathedral and scenery in Cefalu' ... then Palermo ... Erice
over Trapani is a nice place, but it is rather high and can be in the
fog, and/or cold (I'd been there twice for conferences in May and
November and it was never very warm).

I believe the main connection between Palermo and Catania is the
motorway running inland, but I never did it.

If you go south from Siracusa there are Noto and Ragusa with baroque
churches. Modica is renowned for its chocolate (it's very peculiar,
worked according to old recipe WITHOUT cocoa butter, just cocoa and
sugar, try it).

If you continue west on the southern coast you reach Agrigento with the
temple valley, an extraordinary archaeological site. Maybe the oldest of
you kids could be interested (I liked this sort of things at his age),
tell him the story of Empedocles, or of the Bull of Falaride. Almond
tree are said to blossom in February. Porto Empedocle (on the coast
immediately close to Agrigento) should be one of the warmest places (I
believe it's the only mainland place in climatic zone F).

More greek temples in Selinunte (further on on the southern coast) and
Segesta (slightly inland between Palermo and Trapani), this one is
really impressive (and not truly Greek, but by the Elimi).

By the way, which would be the naturally most scenic places? Is the
Etna accessible in winter?

AFAIK, Etna is a ski resort. Beware that it is more than 3000 m high, so
it will be cold as a real mountain.

One thing I never did, but should be very nice, it's a train trip around
the volcano, there is a nice gallery on this excellent railway site
http://www.miol.it/stagniweb/Foto6.a...ighe=100&Col=5

I also never did the Gorges of the Alcantara (north of Etna), or the
Necropolis of Pantalica (south of Catania). The sight over the beaches
of Tindari from above is worth a look.

I never had enough time to visit the sights around Siracusa. In greek
times it was a very large city, later it reduced to the island of
Ortigia. The Aretusa Spring (with papyrus plants) is a sweet water
source at a few meters from the sea (I liked it when I was a child). One
archeological zone with the Latomie (quarries, and Dyonisius' Ear, the
cave where the tyrant listened to the talks of the prisoners) is near
the archaeological museum. There should be another one near the Eurialo
Castle, which should be one of the largest fortresses of greek times.
I heard there are also boat excursions on river Ciane (another place
with papyrus).

Make your own web search using these names as keys, and enjoy the trip.
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:52 AM
EmGBants EmGBants is offline
Member

Location: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Molon[_6_] View Post

Can somebody give me some tips regarding the itinerary? Personally I'm
interested in photography, but my wife and the kids will be with me, so
it won't be all churches and historical places. We also need to build
places where the kids (4 and 8) can play and relax. And the wife likes
to shop.
I have travelled to Sicily 3 times in my life and has been an amazing experience each time..I'm into photography myself and I found lots of inspiration in Avola: The City of Mandorla (which means almond) The town is placed in the middle of the “mandorla” gardens that accompany the tourist coming from Syracuse. It would be suitable for you as you are travelling with your family.

You should definately also visit he church of Saint Giovanni Battista, on Vittorio Emanuele Avenue, it's a brilliant site and on a good sunny day you can snap some rpetty amazing shots.