Europe Trip

Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Kamakazee

Default Europe Trip

A follow up question:

When traveling from one EU country to another is it still advisable to
arrive to the airport 2 hours early?

thks
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Kamakazee wrote:

A follow up question:

When traveling from one EU country to another is it still advisable to
arrive to the airport 2 hours early?

I tend to, so personally I'd say yes. I'm sure you'll get some people
who turn up with less time than that. Some airlines require you to be at
check-in an hour before (e.g. FlyBe) and I think it's better to be on
the safe side. If you are printing your own boarding pass, this is maybe
less of an issue...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

Kamakazee:
A follow up question:

When traveling from one EU country to another is it still advisable to
arrive to the airport 2 hours early?

If everything is normal (no strikes, fine weather, not the first day of
the national holiday season, no terrorist alarm), then two hours in
advance is too much. One hour should be OK.

However, there are days when not everything is normal.

--
Erick
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:10:58 -0700 (PDT), Kamakazee
wrote:

A follow up question:

When traveling from one EU country to another is it still advisable to
arrive to the airport 2 hours early?

thks

I'd say yes.

If you're (for example) travelling with one of the budget airlines,
e.g. Easyjet, getting to check-in 2 hrs (or even more) beforehand
means that you'll be in boarding group "A" and have more of a chance
of finding the seat you want. Boarding group "B" has less of a chance
- boarding group "C" - well, maybe you don't mind a screaming kid
barfing all over your nice, clean jacket (?) :-)

Keith (formerly of Bristol UK)
now moved to Berlin/nach Berlin umgezogen
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Erick T. Barkhuis -o-m wrote:

Kamakazee:
A follow up question:

When traveling from one EU country to another is it still advisable to
arrive to the airport 2 hours early?

If everything is normal (no strikes, fine weather, not the first day of
the national holiday season, no terrorist alarm), then two hours in
advance is too much. One hour should be OK.

Many airlines require you to be at the check-in an hour in advance.
Ryanair and Easyjet are around 40 minutes I think, but they're _very_
strict about it. Depending on whether or not you need to check in, one
hour could cut it very fine indeed. And of course, if you're flying to a
non-schengen country, you can be held up at a passport control

On Saturday, the transit service from the RER station to CDG 1 was
halted inexplicably for 15 minutes. If you'd been cutting it fine with
the check-in, that could have been a problem!

I do admit that I usually find that I've got 'plenty' of time, once I'm
checked in and through security, but I'd rather be in that situation
than the other way around...

Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

A follow up question:

When traveling from one EU country to another is it still advisable to
arrive to the airport 2 hours early?

thks

I'd say yes.

If you're (for example) travelling with one of the budget airlines,
e.g. Easyjet, getting to check-in 2 hrs (or even more) beforehand
means that you'll be in boarding group "A" and have more of a chance
of finding the seat you want. Boarding group "B" has less of a chance
- boarding group "C" - well, maybe you don't mind a screaming kid
barfing all over your nice, clean jacket (?) :-)

Worth remembering that you could have that screaming kid barfing all
over you, no matter when you (or they) board.

Oscar and I had exit row seats on the Ryanair flight to Marseilles from
Manchester. Oddly, no one wanted to take the spare seat next to us- I
suspect because a lot of the travellers seemed to be in groups of two or
more.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

Kamakazee wrote:
A follow up question:

When traveling from one EU country to another is it still advisable to
arrive to the airport 2 hours early?

thks

Normally airlines open their check in counters 2 hours before.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

wrote:

A follow up question:

When traveling from one EU country to another is it still advisable to
arrive to the airport 2 hours early?

thks

I'd say yes.

If you're (for example) travelling with one of the budget airlines,
e.g. Easyjet, getting to check-in 2 hrs (or even more) beforehand
means that you'll be in boarding group "A" and have more of a chance
of finding the seat you want. Boarding group "B" has less of a chance
- boarding group "C" - well, maybe you don't mind a screaming kid
barfing all over your nice, clean jacket (?) :-)

Another reason to prefer trains 8-)

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo

Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

erilar wrote:

wrote:

A follow up question:

When traveling from one EU country to another is it still advisable to
arrive to the airport 2 hours early?

thks

I'd say yes.

If you're (for example) travelling with one of the budget airlines,
e.g. Easyjet, getting to check-in 2 hrs (or even more) beforehand
means that you'll be in boarding group "A" and have more of a chance
of finding the seat you want. Boarding group "B" has less of a chance
- boarding group "C" - well, maybe you don't mind a screaming kid
barfing all over your nice, clean jacket (?) :-)

Another reason to prefer trains 8-)

Not really. There's nothing stopping you being sat next to screaming
kids.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
yeadeagisss

Kamakazee wrote:

A follow up question:

When traveling from one EU country to another is it still advisable to
arrive to the airport 2 hours early?

Depends on which airport, and maybe country of departure.

If the airport is Heathrow or Frankfurt, two hours early is suggested,
although I've gotten from counter to gate in as little as 25 minutes
in each (yes, in recent years too, like last December at Heathrow).

If the airport is Nürnberg or Berlin-Schönefeld, no, not so much.