Why are car hire companies demanding payments for every additional driver?

Old March 25th, 2009, 11:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MariuCh

Default Why are car hire companies demanding payments for every additional driver?

Hi everyone,
I am from Poland.
I am going to the USA and want to hire the car for going on a tour of
states: TX, NM, AZ, UT, NV, CO.
The car will have the full cover but for one driver only (.
Why are rental companies demanding payments for the additional driver
(wife)?
During a road check/control can police demand holding such payments?

Regards,
MariuCh

Old March 25th, 2009, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:29:16 +0100, MariuCh wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am from Poland.
I am going to the USA and want to hire the car for going on a tour of
states: TX, NM, AZ, UT, NV, CO.
The car will have the full cover but for one driver only (.
Why are rental companies demanding payments for the additional driver
(wife)?

Because they think they can. Their own insurance probably demands it.
(this has nothing to do with the insurance that you must provide)

During a road check/control can police demand holding such payments?

no

Check if your home insurance company will provide insurance on the
rental; it should be far cheaper than the insurance offered by the
rental car company -- refuse their insurance if that is the case.
Their insurance is a scam and is where they make most of their money.
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gadi Ben-Avi[_2_]

You should try to find an agent in your home country.
At least where I live, the agents always have much cheaper prices that
include insurance, and sometimes a second driver as well.

Gadi

Old March 25th, 2009, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

MariuCh wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am from Poland.
I am going to the USA and want to hire the car for going on a tour of
states: TX, NM, AZ, UT, NV, CO.
The car will have the full cover but for one driver only (.
Why are rental companies demanding payments for the additional driver
(wife)?

Usually the extra charge is only for a non-spouse extra driver.

During a road check/control can police demand holding such payments?

Huh?

The problem is if the non-registered driver is in an accident.
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"SMS" schrieb

Usually the extra charge is only for a non-spouse extra driver.

(Un-)fortunately they can't check that. "Spouse or no spouse?
That is the question" ;-)

During a road check/control can police demand holding such
payments?

The problem is if the non-registered driver is in an accident.

Yes, but the police won't care. That's just between the rental
company and their customer.

Jochen
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Jochen wrote on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:41:46 +0100:

Usually the extra charge is only for a non-spouse extra
driver.

(Un-)fortunately they can't check that. "Spouse or no spouse?
That is the question" ;-)

During a road check/control can police demand holding such
payments?

The problem is if the non-registered driver is in an
accident.

Yes, but the police won't care. That's just between the rental
company and their customer.

However, that does mean that the police will probably report the details
to the rental company

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old March 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"James Silverton" schrieb

However, that does mean that the police will probably report the details
to the rental company

Of course, they may inform the owner of the car.
I think Mariu was worried that he might get in troube with the police
if the additional driver hadn't been paid for when renting the car.

Jochen
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Mar 25, 4:29*am, "MariuCh"
wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am from Poland.
I am going to the USA and want to hire the car for going on a tour of
states: TX, NM, AZ, UT, NV, CO.
The car will have the full cover but for one driver only (.
Why are rental companies demanding payments for the additional driver
(wife)?
During a road check/control can police demand holding such payments?

Regards,
MariuCh

From what I understand you can get a much better deal if you use a
travel agent in your home country to book your car rental.
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Jochen wrote on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:52:14 +0100:

However, that does mean that the police will probably report the
details to the rental company

Of course, they may inform the owner of the car.
I think Mariu was worried that he might get in troube with the
police if the additional driver hadn't been paid for when
renting the car.

Fair enough, but it might be grounds for the rental company to cancel
the contract or exact penalties hidden in the fine print.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old March 25th, 2009, 06:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Jochen wrote on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:52:14 +0100:

However, that does mean that the police will probably report the details
to the rental company

Of course, they may inform the owner of the car.
I think Mariu was worried that he might get in troube with the
police if the additional driver hadn't been paid for when
renting the car.

Fair enough, but it might be grounds for the rental company to cancel the
contract or exact penalties hidden in the fine print.

such as haveing to pay for the repairs to both cars because the insurance
WILL be void, do you mean?

That doesn't actually sound like them imposing a penalty to me. It is one
that you will have imposed upon yourself.

tim