insurance and car rental and credit card coverage (Montreal)

Old September 16th, 2003, 05:45 PM
H. S.

Default insurance and car rental and credit card coverage (Montreal)

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Niagara this weekend. And plan to rent a car
from Montreal.

I was wondering, since my Visa Gold covers damage waiver (or whatever it
is called) insurance, should I be worried about not having the liability
part? In other words, if I just pay the basic rent for the car, and do
not buy insurance from the car rental agency(which is usually around
$22/day! ), I will be not be having liability insurance.

Also, I have been calling a few companies, I find that Hertz gives me a
basic rate of $85(Canadian) for two days including taxes, and $121 for
three. Budget is giving me basic rate of $41.71/per day including taxes.
What do you guys suggest.

Comments and advice are welcome.

Thanks,
H.S.

--
---------------------- X ----------------------
Remove all underscores from my email address to get the correct one.

Old September 16th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Peter L

"H. S." wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Niagara this weekend. And plan to rent a car
from Montreal.

I was wondering, since my Visa Gold covers damage waiver (or whatever it
is called) insurance, should I be worried about not having the liability
part? In other words, if I just pay the basic rent for the car, and do
not buy insurance from the car rental agency(which is usually around
$22/day! ), I will be not be having liability insurance.

Also, I have been calling a few companies, I find that Hertz gives me a
basic rate of $85(Canadian) for two days including taxes, and $121 for
three. Budget is giving me basic rate of $41.71/per day including taxes.
What do you guys suggest.

I just rented from Enterprise in Toronto. They charged me $17 a day for an
economy (upgraded to a midsize at no extra charge), unlimited mileage, for 4
days.

Old September 17th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Me

In article ,
"H. S." wrote:

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Niagara this weekend. And plan to rent a car
from Montreal.

I was wondering, since my Visa Gold covers damage waiver (or whatever it
is called) insurance, should I be worried about not having the liability
part? In other words, if I just pay the basic rent for the car, and do
not buy insurance from the car rental agency(which is usually around
$22/day! ), I will be not be having liability insurance.

Also, I have been calling a few companies, I find that Hertz gives me a
basic rate of $85(Canadian) for two days including taxes, and $121 for
three. Budget is giving me basic rate of $41.71/per day including taxes.
What do you guys suggest.

Do you have auto insurance for a car you own? If so, contact your
insurance agent to see if your current policy's liability coverage
extends to renting a car.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:59 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"H. S." wrote:

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Niagara this weekend. And plan to rent a car
from Montreal.

I was wondering, since my Visa Gold covers damage waiver (or whatever it
is called) insurance, should I be worried about not having the liability
part? In other words, if I just pay the basic rent for the car, and do
not buy insurance from the car rental agency(which is usually around
$22/day! ), I will be not be having liability insurance.

Might want to see what liability is mandated by Quebec on the rental car
and whether rental companies are exept or not.