New York

Old September 19th, 2003, 11:07 PM
aNdy

Default New York

Hi all
I'm coming to New York from the UK at the end of November, could anybody
give me a few ideas of what I could do for a weekend. I'm bringing my wife
who is having a surprise 40th Birthday present. I already have booked
tickets to the observation deck of the Empire State Building, any thing else
to do will be appreciated, we are staying at 45 west 35 street are there any
good restaurants nearby?? and is Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe worth
visiting?
TIA
Andy

Old September 19th, 2003, 11:38 PM
aNdy

2 nights only

"Rita" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:07:44 +0100, "aNdy" wrote:

Hi all
I'm coming to New York from the UK at the end of November, could anybody
give me a few ideas of what I could do for a weekend. I'm bringing my

wife
who is having a surprise 40th Birthday present. I already have booked
tickets to the observation deck of the Empire State Building, any thing

else
to do will be appreciated, we are staying at 45 west 35 street are there

any
good restaurants nearby?? and is Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe worth
visiting?
TIA
Andy

With all the wonderful restaurants in our fair city, Planet Hollywood
and the Hard Rock are the last places I would spend my money.
Unless you just gotta say you were there. I mean why pay twice or
three times the price for a hamburger? And you willl see no New
Yorkers there, just other tourists like yourself beguiled by the
whoopla.

As for other ideas of what to do, how much actual time will you have
here and what are you interested in?

Old September 20th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Peter L

If I were your wife and you take me to Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock Cafe
for my b'day, I'd divorce you on the spot. Isn't there a Hard Rock Cafe in
London? Why come all the way to New York for this?

If you want restaurant recommendations, try www.chowhound.com. You'd get
more recommendations than you know what to do with. Just don't mention
these two restaurants there.

Old September 20th, 2003, 12:29 AM
aNdy

ok I got the message
Cheers

"Rita" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:07:23 -0700, "Peter L"

wrote:

If I were your wife and you take me to Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock Cafe
for my b'day, I'd divorce you on the spot. Isn't there a Hard Rock Cafe

in
London? Why come all the way to New York for this?

If you want restaurant recommendations, try www.chowhound.com. You'd get
more recommendations than you know what to do with. Just don't mention
these two restaurants there.

No, mentioning them to the Chowhounds would be a grave error indeed,
and subject the poster to a lot of abuse

Old September 20th, 2003, 01:48 AM
PTRAVEL

"aNdy" wrote in message
Hi all
I'm coming to New York from the UK at the end of November, could anybody
give me a few ideas of what I could do for a weekend. I'm bringing my wife
who is having a surprise 40th Birthday present. I already have booked
tickets to the observation deck of the Empire State Building, any thing

else
to do will be appreciated, we are staying at 45 west 35 street are there

any
good restaurants nearby?? and is Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe worth
visiting?
TIA
Andy

I agree with the other posters -- why in the world would you want to come to
New York and then go to tourist chain restaurants that have nothing to do
with the City?

The Empire State Building is fine for the view, but it will be cold. Visit
the Metropolitan Museum of Art and have a pleasant lunch at its restaurant
(avoid the cafeteria). See a Broadway show (but not one of the
tourist-centric "movie" revivals or anything Disney). If your wife is
anything like mine, she'll enjoy window shopping (or, god forbid, the real
thing) along 5th Avenue. Wander around Soho (no relationship to the one in
London -- it's an abbreviation for South of Houston Street). Go ice skating
at Rockefeller Center (the famous Christmas tree won't be lit, yet, but it
will probably be up by the time you're there). Enjoy grand opera at its
grandest at the Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center. Take the Statan
Island Ferry for a ride in New York Harbor -- you'll get the best views of
the Statue of Liberty and, best of all, it's free. Have a meal in Chinatown
and then wander up to Little Italy for a late night drink. For something
romantic, albeit pricey and touristy, take a horse-drawn carriage ride
through Central Park. You'll find them right near the Plaza Hotel which,
itself, is worth a visit (have a drink in the Mahogany Bar, if you can get
in).

Old September 20th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Brian K

On 09/19/2003 6:07 PM aNdy wrote:

Hi all
I'm coming to New York from the UK at the end of November, could anybody
give me a few ideas of what I could do for a weekend. I'm bringing my wife
who is having a surprise 40th Birthday present. I already have booked
tickets to the observation deck of the Empire State Building, any thing else
to do will be appreciated, we are staying at 45 west 35 street are there any
good restaurants nearby?? and is Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe worth
visiting?
TIA
Andy

I would avoid Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock Cafe. The food is lousy
and over priced. Focus instead on the variety of non-chain
restaurants. Pick a neighborhood. Use your nose, if something smells
good, there's a nice crowd, and you like what's posted on the menu ---
give it a try.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old September 20th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Larry Finch

aNdy wrote:

Hi all
I'm coming to New York from the UK at the end of November, could anybody
give me a few ideas of what I could do for a weekend. I'm bringing my wife
who is having a surprise 40th Birthday present. I already have booked
tickets to the observation deck of the Empire State Building, any thing else
to do will be appreciated, we are staying at 45 west 35 street are there any
good restaurants nearby?? and is Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe worth
visiting?

I won't comment on the places you mention; others will have beat me to it.
Instead consider the best restaurants in NY for her birthday dinner. For food,
Bouley. For a wonderful experience, Terrace in the Sky. In addition to excellent
food, it has the best view in NYC AND live music.

Don't be concerned about where you are staying; there are good restaurants
everywhere, and even ones that aren't nearby in distance are close in time on
the subway.

Larry
--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 47"
W 74° 03' 56"

Old September 21st, 2003, 01:23 AM
JamesStep

Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe worth visiting?

As others have said, they aren't very good restaurants.

But hey... if seeing the memorabilia they have on display is
something you'd enjoy, just stop by for a few minutes.
Just have a coke or something instead of a meal.

I've been to a couple of the Planet Hollywoods and the
movie memorabilia was very interesting. But the food
was mediocre and overpriced.

James
Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old September 21st, 2003, 04:53 AM
news.charter.net

Go see the Metropolitan Museum, Central Park. Go to Chinatown. Great
restaurant at 50 Bowery Street. Get Broadway tickets for half price at TKTS
(I think that is what it is called) in downtown Manhattan. It is a kiosk
outside with a loooong line. You can't miss it!