Wallet stolen by French government

Old June 20th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Jeremy Henderson

Default Wallet stolen by French government

There are many pleasurable aspects of living in France, but god knows, you
have to pay for them. Since we arrived here my wife has been unable to
find an employer in France willing to make use of her education and
experience. Therefore for the last few weeks she has been commuting on a
weekly basis to The Hague. She earns money in Holland and pays her taxes
and social charges there.

No problem, you would think. But the French tax man thinks otherwise. He
has decided that the amount of tax that I pay should take into account the
money that my wife earns, even though it is earned and taxed in an
entirely different country. So in effect we are being taxed twice.

Actually, things could be worse - it's just a matter of time before he
also starts charging us extra based on the earnings of the neighbours, or
the man in the corner shop, or someone I sat next to in the Metro the
week before last.

J;

--
Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG

Old June 20th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Alec

"Jeremy Henderson" wrote in message
news
There are many pleasurable aspects of living in France, but god knows, you
have to pay for them. Since we arrived here my wife has been unable to
find an employer in France willing to make use of her education and
experience. Therefore for the last few weeks she has been commuting on a
weekly basis to The Hague. She earns money in Holland and pays her taxes
and social charges there.

No problem, you would think. But the French tax man thinks otherwise. He
has decided that the amount of tax that I pay should take into account the
money that my wife earns, even though it is earned and taxed in an
entirely different country. So in effect we are being taxed twice.

Hay, move to UK! Independent taxation between spouses. The only time they
aggregate incomes is when working out certain tac credits like for children.

Actually, things could be worse - it's just a matter of time before he
also starts charging us extra based on the earnings of the neighbours, or
the man in the corner shop, or someone I sat next to in the Metro the
week before last.

No wonder the French have a huge black economy. Do they still stash away
gold bars under floorboards?

Alec

Old June 20th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Jeremy Henderson wrote:

There are many pleasurable aspects of living in France, but god knows, you
have to pay for them. Since we arrived here my wife has been unable to
find an employer in France willing to make use of her education and
experience. Therefore for the last few weeks she has been commuting on a
weekly basis to The Hague. She earns money in Holland and pays her taxes
and social charges there.

No problem, you would think. But the French tax man thinks otherwise. He
has decided that the amount of tax that I pay should take into account the
money that my wife earns, even though it is earned and taxed in an
entirely different country. So in effect we are being taxed twice.

It's normal that you be required tax in the country where you live.
Ask about the arrangements for her getting tax relief in the
Netherlands.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old June 20th, 2004, 03:25 PM
tile

according to agreements.
taxes are paid in the country where money is earned.
of course. it depends on how many days of the year a person lives in a
country.
there is nothing like double taxation in the EU:
news

Old June 20th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:25:39 +0000, tile wrote:

according to agreements.
taxes are paid in the country where money is earned.
of course. it depends on how many days of the year a person lives in a
country.
there is nothing like double taxation in the EU:

Wrong.

There is, de facto, double taxation. The facts are as I described
them - I pay more tax based on the fact that my wife earns money, even
though that money is earned and taxed in Holland. You can call that
"double taxation" or you can call it another name - it's still extra money
that the tax man gets.

J;

"Jeremy Henderson"

news

Old June 20th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:15:15 +0100, Padraig Breathnach wrote:

Jeremy Henderson wrote:

There are many pleasurable aspects of living in France, but god knows, you
have to pay for them. Since we arrived here my wife has been unable to
find an employer in France willing to make use of her education and
experience. Therefore for the last few weeks she has been commuting on a
weekly basis to The Hague. She earns money in Holland and pays her taxes
and social charges there.

No problem, you would think. But the French tax man thinks otherwise. He
has decided that the amount of tax that I pay should take into account the
money that my wife earns, even though it is earned and taxed in an
entirely different country. So in effect we are being taxed twice.

It's normal that you be required tax in the country where you live.
Ask about the arrangements for her getting tax relief in the
Netherlands.

Well the Frogs are experience thieves - it's not HER that gets taxed in
France, it's ME that pays extra due to her earnings.

What's a joke is that there's a lot of talk about promoting women in the
workforce, but the fact is that in France you get subsidised at every
level if you have more kids (eg tax allowances, 50% reduction on public
transport etc), and if women dare to go out to work their family earnings
get taxed to the eyeballs.

J;

J;

Old June 20th, 2004, 04:40 PM
devil

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:30:21 +0200, Jeremy Henderson wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:25:39 +0000, tile wrote:

according to agreements.
taxes are paid in the country where money is earned.
of course. it depends on how many days of the year a person lives in a
country.
there is nothing like double taxation in the EU:

Wrong.

There is, de facto, double taxation. The facts are as I described
them - I pay more tax based on the fact that my wife earns money, even
though that money is earned and taxed in Holland. You can call that
"double taxation" or you can call it another name - it's still extra money
that the tax man gets.

Extra money paid is not the same thing as "double taxation." Double
taxation occurs if you pay *tax on that income* in two countries.

Sounds like *you pay more taxes* on what *you* earn, because she also has
income? Shouldn't you consider a divorce for tax purposes? Actually a
separation might be sufficient?

Or is it simply that you are not able to make some deuctions on the basis
that she is a dependant?

BTW, this sort of thing is not uncommon. some years back, I spent six
months working in the US, while technically still a resident of Canada. I
paid tax in the US. But I also had to declare the US income in Canada.
Although I could deduct the tax paid in the US from the tax due in Canada,
because the thing took me to a higher bracket, I had to pay extra tax in
canada on the US income.

This is *not* double taxation. Let's keep our semantics under control,
lest communication gets lost.

Old June 20th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:40:15 +0000, devil wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:30:21 +0200, Jeremy Henderson wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:25:39 +0000, tile wrote:

according to agreements.
taxes are paid in the country where money is earned.
of course. it depends on how many days of the year a person lives in a
country.
there is nothing like double taxation in the EU:

Wrong.

There is, de facto, double taxation. The facts are as I described
them - I pay more tax based on the fact that my wife earns money, even
though that money is earned and taxed in Holland. You can call that
"double taxation" or you can call it another name - it's still extra money
that the tax man gets.

Extra money paid is not the same thing as "double taxation." Double
taxation occurs if you pay *tax on that income* in two countries.

Are you a lawyer g? I pay more tax on my income because my tax bracket
is affected by what she earns, even though that income has already been
dealt with by the Dutch tax man.

Sounds like *you pay more taxes* on what

*you* earn, because she also
has income?

'Xactly.

Shouldn't you consider a divorce for tax purposes? Actually
a separation might be sufficient?

We will investigate exactly what is required. Would it help if I took a
(smelly, smoking, French) mistress?

This is *not* double taxation. Let's keep our semantics under control,
lest communication gets lost.

Fair enough, but let's also keep clear that more money gets paid,
regardless of what you call it.

J;

Old June 21st, 2004, 01:11 PM
A Mate

Sounds to me like you pay more tax, because your family income is higher -
and the tax rate is (as in most western countries) progressive!!

Old June 21st, 2004, 10:00 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:11:48 +1000, A Mate wrote:

Sounds to me like you pay more tax, because your family income is higher -
and the tax rate is (as in most western countries) progressive!!

AAMOI, which other western countries tax on a household unit? Not the UK,
and not the US, for a start.

J;