Top 5 European cities?

Old June 9th, 2004, 08:12 PM
R J Carpenter

Default Bottom 5 European cities?

IMO there are really two lists:

Cities I'll never visit again, and

Cities that would be bad places to live.

To me, the lists would be quite different.

For example, Frankfurt didn't impress me as a place to visit, but I thought
it might be a fairly acceptable place to live (for a large city).

Old June 9th, 2004, 09:14 PM
manc1976

Default Top 5 European cities?

Originally posted by Padraig Breathnach
manc1976

wrote:

Ennis Co. Clare

Ireland
WHAT!!???

It's a wonder you didn't prefer

Limerick.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED

worked at Moneypoint power station for a long time, and absolutely loved
living in Ennis.
Best time of my life bar none.

Old June 9th, 2004, 09:17 PM
d b

I understand what you are saying and yes the lists would indeed be different!

Frankfurt unfortunately fell into both categories for me. The only way I will
go to Frankfurt again is to change planes at the airport!

If I must go to Germany period, the favorite will always be Munich.

djb

Old June 10th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Jenn

Miss L. Toe wrote:

Barnsley,
Bradford,
Birmingham,
Blackburn
Bagshot

poggi bonsi

tours

prato
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On 2004-06-09, Keith Willshaw wrote:

I'd have to disagree, my short list would include
Morecambe - sadly neglected and run down
Milton Keynes - England's answer to LA, but without
the sense of history
Slough - nuff said

Lelystad (NL) is a must on the list. Only bright spot is that the roads
are wide, so you have chance to get the hell out of there.
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM
David Horne

Kristian wrote:

One problem with Milan is that it does not present itself very well
to a first time visitor. If you take the shuttle from the airport
you will arrive at the main central rail station, and from there it is
a least a half hour on foot to the parts of Milan , that are of
interest to the visitor.

That's not unusual. Many train stations in large cities, especially
those with older centres, have their large stations (or some of them) on
the peripheries to the 'heart' of the city. Think London's King's Cross,
Euston and Paddington, Paris Gare du Nord and Est, Rome's Termini, and
so on. (Of course, in some cases there are more central stations, but
not all destinations are served by them.)

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Iceman

Frankfurt
Manchester
Berlin
Rome
Paris

There are only two major cities in Western Europe that I wouldn't
recommend to anyone: Athens and Naples.

And Naples at least has good food and is close to Pompeii. Athens is
the ultimate tourist trap, and has no purpose other than as a transit
hub, unless you absolutely need a photo of yourself in front of a
crappy ruin, or for some reason are fascinated by plate fragments. Do
yourself a favor and fly directly to the islands.

I really enjoyed Marseille, Liverpool, and Brussels, all of which are
often maligned by travellers. Marseille has a beautiful harbor, lots
of interesting architecture from all different periods, and great
seafood, provencal, and moroccan restaurants. Liverpool has a strong
regional identity, an impressive church, great nightlife,
beatles-related sights, and the foremost museum exhibit on slavery, in
which it played a significant and little-known role. Brussels has
great food and beer, an excellent art museum, interesting African and
Arab quarters, and lots of Art Nouveau architecture, and is a good
base for exploring other parts of Belgium.
Old June 11th, 2004, 10:52 AM
The Reids

Following up to R J Carpenter

Cities I'll never visit again, and

Cities that would be bad places to live.

To me, the lists would be quite different.

Quite right, I enjoy Madrid but would not want to live there. I
enjoy the old quarters of many cities, but would I live in one?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old June 11th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Padraig Breathnach

The Reids wrote:

... I
enjoy the old quarters of many cities, but would I live in one?

You would probably be driven to distraction by the tourists who enjoy
the old quarters.